Mono chassis $49 + shipping

Rclark

Re: Mono chassis $49 + shipping
« Reply #20 on: 15 May 2012, 07:54 pm »
Do you have pictures of this method? James described it in PM but I'm not quite visualizing all the terms.

undertow

« Reply #21 on: 15 May 2012, 08:01 pm »
 :scratch:
« Last Edit: 17 May 2012, 01:29 pm by undertow »

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #22 on: 15 May 2012, 08:02 pm »
My amps just arrived.  I went from wondering if Bruno ran away with my money to wondering why I don't have the parts to assemble them. 
« Last Edit: 20 May 2012, 06:26 am by James Romeyn »

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #23 on: 15 May 2012, 08:29 pm »
Absolutely positively you'd have to prepay adding 3% for Paypal because I'm not wanting to hassle with checks, sorry (shocked to find European vendors add 4%).

FWIW... If you send a gift via PayPal, there is no fee for the sender or the recipient ;)

Rclark

« Reply #24 on: 15 May 2012, 08:34 pm »
Ah gotcha, I think James.

So instead of using the whole binding post, you bypass the inside-the-chassis part of the binding post, taking the wire directly outside the chassis from inside, and pushing it through the hole in the bottom part of the binding posts, and connecting the wires from the speakers through the top part of the hole on the binding post so that they meet inside at the bottom of the post.

Right?

But why would you tin the ends? I thought solder didn't transfer electricity?

TomS

« Reply #25 on: 15 May 2012, 08:41 pm »
I have used the through hole/clamped wire and grommet technique on speakers before with good results, but just an obvious caution in doing this with an amp, which is an active, not a passive device like a speaker.

If, just be accident, those loose output wires touch each other while live or either touches the grounded chassis, you're going to have some fireworks or at least shut the amp down in a hurry. Obviously you don't want to do it live on a regular basis, but I've decided it's not really worth the risk myself because I tend to fumble when upside down connecting speaker wires in the dark.

YMMV, but be safe out there!

sts9fan

« Reply #26 on: 15 May 2012, 09:14 pm »

But why would you tin the ends? I thought solder didn't transfer electricity?

Please have someone put these together for you.

Rclark

« Reply #27 on: 15 May 2012, 09:18 pm »

Right because there was never a first build for you, even before your conception, you were on another infinite plane, building amps. :roll:

All I'd heard before was that solder is non conductive.

undertow

« Reply #28 on: 15 May 2012, 09:26 pm »
Most solder, especially "Silver" solder is more conductive than some of the connectors themselves. So don't go touching a solder connection with your tongue thinking its "Non-conductive" please!

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 15 May 2012, 09:28 pm »
deleted, irrelevent
« Last Edit: 20 May 2012, 06:27 am by James Romeyn »

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #30 on: 15 May 2012, 09:30 pm »
deleted, irrelevent
« Last Edit: 20 May 2012, 06:27 am by James Romeyn »

undertow

« Reply #31 on: 15 May 2012, 09:34 pm »
There is no doubt this amp kit is Pretty easy to build, but even though one could get away with "Quick connects" and a crimper maybe thru the whole thing(the XLR would be a little tuff) maybe RCA only, I would still suggest there needs to be a warning on the box that minimum requirement to do this project is once in your life holding a solder iron. Otherwise I think you are in trouble.

Rclark

« Reply #32 on: 15 May 2012, 09:35 pm »
 I'm sure the build will require a surgeon's mastery, but somehow I will manage.

I've built crossovers and they work great. This can't be any harder. If not knowing that certain types of solder are conductive will then cause the amp to explode by my lack of knowing this, then just tell me what else I need to know without all the drama.

sts9fan

« Reply #33 on: 15 May 2012, 09:37 pm »
Right because there was never a first build for you, even before your conception, you were on another infinite plane, building amps. :roll:

All I'd heard before was that solder is non conductive.

On the contrary I did and still do suck at building amps. Even after building a few gainclones, 41hz, ZenV9, F5 etc.
The point is I built to learn.  I read technical articles and f'd up a LOT. You would be doing yourself a HUGE favor by building a gainclone.
You are reading advertising copy and know this is what you must have.

sts9fan

« Reply #34 on: 15 May 2012, 09:44 pm »
I'm sure the build will require a surgeon's mastery, but somehow I will manage.

I've built crossovers and they work great. This can't be any harder. If not knowing that certain types of solder are conductive will then cause the amp to explode by my lack of knowing this, then just tell me what else I need to know without all the drama.
Nobody is out to get you here dude. You just preach so much about how awesome something is then post this?  I am out of non-conductive solder. When you pick some up can you grab me a roll?

undertow

« Reply #35 on: 15 May 2012, 09:44 pm »
Rclark
By the way I was not taking any shot at you. However, I will say this... SOLDER IS CONDUCTIVE for electrical period. Yes Crossovers are easily built using various quick connects. So basically you have no solder to stay away from, this whole thing should be soldered with "Conductive" solder. Crossovers are basic straight wire connections so you could essentially twist an entire crossover by hand and electical tape!

And I actually just said above you can pull off this build "MINUS" soldering. But that will be difficult due to the types of various connections you need to make, so you would want Power connections with spade ends to actually "Securely" put your connectors, you would need to figure out a way to hook your INPUT section easily to the Jacks, whether it is XLR or RCA I have not seen many at all that you could put a quick connect on.

RCA might be the only input you could figure out a way to do NO solder, but your really pushing it.

Maybe with holes in the connectors and the best you could do is twist the wire thru the hole and try to electrical tape it secure. But its pretty jerry rigged at that point.

Rclark

« Reply #36 on: 15 May 2012, 09:58 pm »
 Ok, when I was building my crossovers, one of them didn't work and I was able to track it to a part where the solder got in the way of the wire, I redid it and it worked.

Also, from Wikipedia "2.No-clean fluxes which are mild enough to not "require" removal due to the non-conductive and non-corrosive residue.[4] Performance of the flux needs to be carefully evaluated; a very mild 'no-clean' flux might be perfectly acceptable for production equipment, but not give adequate performance for a poorly controlled hand-soldering operation. They are so-called "no-clean" because the residue left after the solder operation is non-conductive and won't cause electrical shorts; nevertheless these fluxes leave a white-color residue like dilute bird-droppings. which is plainly visible. Since the presence of discernible flux residue on circuit boards is a defect for all three classes of electronic circuit boards (ranging from cheap consumer electronics to high-reliability, mission critical applications), these sorts of fluxes must still be cleaned as with all hand solder work, typically brushing with 99% isopropyl alcohol as the solvent and lint-free non-synthetic (eg cotton) wipes"

so there is non-conductive solder, I'm not completely off my gourd.

Anyway, I just really can't see how this could be difficult. It looks like you snap some connectors together and solder some wires.

And not offended guys, even if that was your intention. It's cool.

sts9fan

« Reply #37 on: 15 May 2012, 10:02 pm »
That's talking about flux not solder. Did you read what flux is?

Rclark

« Reply #38 on: 15 May 2012, 10:03 pm »

Well you can't solder without flux, right?

*Scotty*

« Reply #39 on: 15 May 2012, 10:08 pm »
Rclark, there are probably adult education opportunities in your community that might you might be able to take advantage of. There should be a number of places where you could learn more about basic electronics and soldering. Many junior colleges and 4 year schools will allow you to audit college courses that deal with the subject you are interested in.
 With the potential of over $1,500 going up in smoke, acquiring first hand instruction in soldering techniques as well as a more complete grounding in basic electronics seems to be infinitely preferable to trying to acquire the necessary knowledge from internet forums.
Scotty
Non-conductive solder is also known as hot melt glue.
If you have to remove solder flux from a board CRC Brakleen available from your local auto-parts store
works very well.