Bugle Cap Question - Removing c7,c8 and upping c8,c11 - Upping c2,c5 to .1uf?

cengclimbing

Hello Everyone!  After listening to the stock Bugle with PS I'm ready to replace the caps.  I read in another thread response from Poty that if you run the power supply you can replace c8 and c11 with a value of 10uf while removing the small caps at c7 and c11 at the same time.  Has anyone done this?  Are there any resistor values that need to change at the same time?  Also, I was looking to replace the caps at c2 and c5 with Mundorf supremes also but it's not available in .01uf.  It is is available in .1uf.  Will that value work in that spot? 

This is my first post and I wanted to say thanks to everyone for such a great source of information. 

Cheers-

hagtech

No, the 10nF is critical for EQ. 

jh

cengclimbing

Thanks Jim.  Will the first part, cap removal and substitution (removing C7,C8 and upping the value for C8,C11) work? 

hagtech

I haven't tried it.

jh

poty

As far as I understand you are going to remove all battery-related parts - that is why you mentioned C7, C10? Then I prefer the following:

1. Remove the on-off switch (the same functionality you could achieve in the Jim's PS anyway with better effectiveness).

2. Connect the Bugle PS's wires to the holes for the switch connected to C8 and C11. The middle (ground) connection should be made nearby (to the ground side of the output RCAs? or if the holes for the switch case are grounded - then to the holes).

3. SAVE C8 and C11. I can't remember I ever suggested to remove them - they are rather critical in the circuit.

4. To compensate the influence of long wires from the PS, I'd prefer to solder ADDITIONAL capacitors >10uF just at the points where the wires are connected to the PCB.

The values of C2 and C6 are important for RIAA correction and should be followed as close as possible. I do not know where you source the parts, but there are a lot of them everywhere.

cengclimbing

Thanks for the reply!   Just a couple quick questions to verify a few things so I don't screw up.  :D

1. I'm running Jim's PS currently wired to the B1 and B2 connections on the board.  Should I switch them to the inputs on the switch and ground them to the RCA grounds instead?  If that is done that effectively removes C7 and C10 from the circuit, correct? 

2. The new 10uf caps should be soldered in to a point on the switch and the ground?  (Sounds correct but I'm just checking)

3. removing C11, C8... I got the idea here...
The caps are more like bypass, they are on the signal path, so it's better to have more quality than more value (IMHO). In my opinion - changing the caps (or removing them completely and alter the C8, C11) to good film capacitors in the range of 10uF will be best sounding solution.

Will the 10uf caps replace C7,C10 and C11 ,C8 in the PS side effectively or should I keep the .1uf in C11,C8 in addition to the new 10uf caps? 

4. Thanks for the clarification on the .01uf caps in C2 and C5.  I was hoping to use some Mundorf Supremes I already had but will order some .01uf caps from PartsConnextion to fill those spots. 

Again, thanks for all the help. 

Cheers-

poty

3. removing C11, C8... I got the idea here...
I'm sorry, English is not my mother tongue, maybe I didn't expressed my thoughts clear. I used the word "alter" in the meaning of "change" (value or type), but not remove the capacitors.
1. I'm running Jim's PS currently wired to the B1 and B2 connections on the board.  Should I switch them to the inputs on the switch and ground them to the RCA grounds instead?  If that is done that effectively removes C7 and C10 from the circuit, correct?
It's not nessesary if the wires PS-to-Bugle are not long (2"-3"). In the case the C7 and C10 serve the additional capacitors I mentioned earlier. If the wires are longer - I'd use only one "ground wire" to eliminate ground loop.

cengclimbing

Thanks!  I should have the parts here sometime next week.  I'll let you guys know how it goes. :thumb:

Again, thank you for all the help.

Cheers-