Tempest with Symphonic circuit board

agburns

Tempest with Symphonic circuit board
« on: 6 Oct 2019, 03:02 pm »
Has the Tempest preamp always been built around the Symphonic line circuit board or has that been a later upgrade?  I am considering a used Tempest to go with my Khartago extreme and curious at what point in the Tempest evolution is a good point to buy in.  The other option is to send to Klaus for upgrades.  For general info, I run Thiel 3.5s listening to jazz and classical.
« Last Edit: 6 Oct 2019, 06:09 pm by agburns »

klaus@odyssey

Re: Tempest with Symphonic circuit board
« Reply #1 on: 14 Oct 2019, 10:56 am »
We made a couple hundred Tempest boards ourselves until about 2007 or 2008 as a standard model with the SL board being an upgrade,  but we discontinued  them simply because we had some internal hum issue...SL  uses some proprietary parts that don't exhibit this issue,  obviously,  (plus it's frickin' awesome as it is indeed  the 7 K pre matching the Stratos and Khartago) so we just make the one all - out model now....with the German my-metal tranny it's $ 2400.  all in ......

urbanshaman

« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2020, 09:38 pm »
I'll bet mine is the series with the hum. #593

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2020, 03:07 am »
I'll bet mine is the series with the hum. #593
I have 637. I spoke with Klaus and you can get it sent back to him for an upgrade and a transformer replacement. (I forget how much.) I got rid of my hum by buying an avahifi.com Humdinger for $140.

urbanshaman

« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2020, 02:01 pm »
I acquired a Tempest that I hoped to use in my system, and I too tamed the general hum with the AVA Humdinger! The line stage is excellent, however the phono stage has a HUGE hum and is unusable. I wish that the transformer could be replaced under warranty, but was told that I would have to pay several hundred dollars for the new transformer. Other options were offered, but it's up for sale now.