Roon Nucleus pre-purchase advice

sts9fan

Re: Roon Nucleus pre-purchase advice
« Reply #20 on: 13 Aug 2018, 02:30 pm »
Well.... Unfortunately, I think its more complicated than that:
Computer Audiophile Thread Ethernet Bridging

How is it more complicated?  I'm not sure I am getting the info from your link you intend.  I have used this switch for years from a mac mini and now with a ROCK.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122005&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Network+-+Switches-_-N82E16833122005&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI88-a653q3AIVCrbICh3yvQm5EAQYAiABEgIDB_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

This server has dual nic.  They don't have a special computer in it.  You can find one just like it and install ROCK.
https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/audio-server/products/sonictransporter-i7-for-roon-dsp?variant=35324041615

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #21 on: 13 Aug 2018, 04:59 pm »
Could you guys please start a networking thread to cover this?  Off topic to this one.  :)

jpm

« Reply #22 on: 13 Aug 2018, 05:14 pm »
Could you guys please start a networking thread to cover this?  Off topic to this one.  :)

It's very easy to go down a rabbit hole of technical talk with computer audio! The Roon forums are the best place to go for detailed discussions:

https://community.roonlabs.com/

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #23 on: 13 Aug 2018, 07:12 pm »
It's what jpm explained nicely in post #6. The diy approach for those comfortable with it. Roon will supply the same operating system used in Nucleus for the purpose.

Still, I'm not sure we're understanding or answering the OP's question. Apparently he wants to use Roon with his Node, but doesn't currently?  It's not clear to me. I need to know more about what he's doing currently, and what he wants to do in the end. If he's using Roon, the software has to run somewhere on the network.  Are you already using Roon? Please be more specific about why you're considering a Nucleus. For better SQ, or to begin using Roon?

My apologies for my original post not being clear.  I am NOT presently using Roon, but want to get into it.  I am not very techy so haven't really considered going the DIY route, nor do I want to deal with installing operating systems.  right now I just own a Node 2 and I am using the BluOS app.  I was trying to decide if I should purchase the Nucleus and a DAC or just the Nucleus and use the Node 2 as the end point.  Would I get better sound quality going right into a DAC?

sts9fan

« Reply #24 on: 13 Aug 2018, 08:06 pm »
I wish people wouldn’t consider the ROCK DIY. It’s so easy, requires a screwdriver and about an hour.
I don’t understand how any of it works but can follow instructions pretty good.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #25 on: 13 Aug 2018, 08:10 pm »
. .....  Would I get better sound quality going right into a DAC?
Right into a dac from the Nucleus, streaming Tidal or pulling files from the Nucleus storage, compared to Tidal or stored files via the Node? Yes, if your system including the new dac can expose the differences.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #26 on: 13 Aug 2018, 08:15 pm »
I wish people wouldn’t consider the ROCK DIY. It’s so easy, requires a screwdriver and about an hour.
I don’t understand how any of it works but can follow instructions pretty good.
What's easy or convenient for some, may not be for others.  Some people change their own oil, some don't.  Some choose not to have a car. You can save a lot of money if you don't have a car.

jpm

« Reply #27 on: 13 Aug 2018, 11:01 pm »
My apologies for my original post not being clear.  I am NOT presently using Roon, but want to get into it.  I am not very techy so haven't really considered going the DIY route, nor do I want to deal with installing operating systems.  right now I just own a Node 2 and I am using the BluOS app.  I was trying to decide if I should purchase the Nucleus and a DAC or just the Nucleus and use the Node 2 as the end point.  Would I get better sound quality going right into a DAC?

It can be easy to get a little intimidated and / or confused by all the different options around this, but there are lots of friendly people here and on the Roon community forums who are happy to help.

In your position, I'd opt to take some small simple steps to start with before dropping a lot of money. I realize that "a lot of money" is relative, but it's as good a way as any other to choose a starting point and direction.

- Right now, you can download Roon software, install it on your computer and point it to music files, wherever you store them. 
- If you don't have many music files, you might also want to give the Tidal streaming service a trial to expand your options.
- If you have an iPad (or iPhone, or Android tablet / phone), use that as your interface to control Roon in case going back and forth to your computer is inconvenient.

Give it a try this evening, see how you get on and how you like it.

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #28 on: 14 Aug 2018, 04:01 pm »
What's easy or convenient for some, may not be for others.  Some people change their own oil, some don't.  Some choose not to have a car. You can save a lot of money if you don't have a car.

AMEN!   That's me in a nutshell.  I know that I could learn to change my oil, or paint or build a NUC but I am so not the type to do that kind of stuff.  With that being said, I just ordered a Nucleus.  Looking forward to getting started with Roon.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #29 on: 14 Aug 2018, 07:22 pm »
Congratulations on that. I have a buddy who is IT savvy and built the NUC/ROCK recently and added it to his network.  He's enjoying Roon, and now has several endpoints.  I would do it with his assistant, but probably not on my own. I don't currently use Roon.

sts9fan

« Reply #30 on: 14 Aug 2018, 11:22 pm »
Always good to know your limits...

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #31 on: 20 Aug 2018, 09:29 pm »
The Nucleus has arrived but for some reason I am experiencing buyers remorse and haven't opened the box.  Starting to think I paid too much for this and maybe I should go the Nuc route.   

zoom25

« Reply #32 on: 21 Aug 2018, 12:32 am »
Did you consider the Nucleus+? Have you checked out your requirements (DSP, multi zone, library size)?

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #33 on: 21 Aug 2018, 12:50 am »
Did you consider the Nucleus+? Have you checked out your requirements (DSP, multi zone, library size)?

yeah I did the homework and the normal Nucleus fits my requirements but paying this much for an i3 computer bothers me. 

zoom25

« Reply #34 on: 21 Aug 2018, 07:03 am »
If I was spending a lot of money on something overpriced as it is, I'd probably make it a Nucleus+ to at least somewhat future proof it. I wouldn't do the i3 Nucleus personally.

Even then, I'd much rather spend the money on the upcoming Mac Mini or iMac to run Roon like an appliance 24/7 over the Nucleus(+) and still be able to use it with anything else. I never hear the fans come on with all 4 of my Mac devices (SSDs) with Roon.

If you want to get a NUC and build it yourself and are comfortable, then go for it. You can either run ROCK or Windows 10. With ROCK, you'll get a nice dedicated OS without extra crap. On the other hand, you can't run anything else on it (same as Nucleus).

If I was going to spend a lot of money, I'd go all in on a Nucleus+ or a Mac. On the other hand, if I wanted to save money and maximize my investment, I'd definitely build a NUC myself with ROCK and keep it dedicated for Roon.

I was considering a NUC and still may in the future, but I just found that for my workflow and downloading music on a frequent basis and transporting it to local attached storage and having Roon right there in the same device just made a lot of sense. Zero headaches.

I hope you are clear about what it is that you want and how you plan to operate and interact with the device on a frequent basis.

sts9fan

« Reply #35 on: 21 Aug 2018, 08:02 pm »
The Nucleus has arrived but for some reason I am experiencing buyers remorse and haven't opened the box.  Starting to think I paid too much for this and maybe I should go the Nuc route.

If you do decide to go the ROCK route reach out to me if you have questions.  I'm happy to help.

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #36 on: 23 Aug 2018, 02:24 am »
If you do decide to go the ROCK route reach out to me if you have questions.  I'm happy to help.

I just dropped the unopened Nucleus off at the UPS store to return.  I am ordering the parts for an i7 NUC.

lokie

« Reply #37 on: 23 Aug 2018, 11:48 am »
I just dropped the unopened Nucleus off at the UPS store to return.  I am ordering the parts for an i7 NUC.
Would you mind sharing your BOM?

roscoe65

« Reply #38 on: 23 Aug 2018, 12:19 pm »

Roon list a BOM on their ROK page.

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #39 on: 23 Aug 2018, 04:57 pm »
DigitalDude let us know how it goes.  I've been thinking of building a NUC with ROCK myself.  I feel fairly confident but having never done anything like that before, I keep putting it off.  If yours goes well it would probably get me started.