Shipping Super-Vs

gab

Shipping Super-Vs
« on: 18 Nov 2015, 06:11 pm »
To any of you who have successfully done this, I'd appreciate some advice.

How did you build your shipping crate (2 indiv crates, one speaker per?; Upright or how in the crate did the Super-Vs go?; 2" styrofoam all around the crate?; How did you protect the finish?; Did you remove the bases and pack/ship separately? )

Who did you use for shipping?

How did you insure everything?

I've read thru this AC thread so I have a basic feel for what I am up against:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=48053.0

Just trying to get any pointers from anyone who has actually shipped Super-Vs before.

Thanks

gab

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: Shipping Super-Vs
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2015, 06:40 pm »
Not Super V's, but this might be helpful. Scroll down a ways to see photos.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=122387.msg1291274#msg1291274

I think the key is to protect in a couple of ways. First, put space around object so box crate intrusions are less  likely to damage contents. Assume it will be dropped so interior needs some kinda firm but shock absorbing material...like foam. I like the exoskeleton because it gives freight gorillas something to grab which lessens the possibility of dropping.

I'd wrap speaker in either plastic or some soft material....sort of a slip cover that would prevent chaffing of packaging on finish.

Imagining what I'd do with V's: Ship amps separately. I'd probably build crate so speaker lays on it's side, that way the thickest, strongest surface is supporting the speaker. Then glue foam blocks strategically  to "capture" and secure sideways movement. I try to leave corners and fragile in free air so there aren't concentrated pressure points that will rub excessively. Make bottom of crate solid and then either build pallet below or strap to loose pallet. I've watched how things work in freight depots and forklift is the tool of choice...make it easy to handle and it lowers the risk of damage.

Believe it or not, truck freight seems to fare better then UPS/FEDEX etc.

Aside from labeling the box for top and bottom, I'm convinced garnering it with fragile stickers is just not effective. My crating credo is "build for the worst case scenario" which for these would be stabbing with a forklift or dropping off dock.

Good Luck!

Adding a couple of recent photos for reference.

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2015, 07:45 pm »
For the Super-V's you certainly need wood creates.

I build them so that the speakers lay face down in them. They are more stable that way. And block up the ends so that a pallet jack can get under them easily. And knowing that they will be lifted from the bottom panel be sure it is solid and has some wood supports down the sides. And from experience I'd say double up the thickness of the create around the bottom six inches or so because they could also get hit with a folk lift in that area. Or they will push them with a fork lift in that area. Something will happen to create a hole in the box from those fork lifts if the box isn't heavy duty in that area.

And use a lot of foam blocks all around it. Spend that extra time to make sure it is well packed. Whatever could happen will likely happen.

And a freight truck is the best and least expensive way to go for stuff this big.

gab

« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2015, 07:52 pm »
Peter and Danny - VERY helpful info. Thank you both for your guidance. That would make a great sticky.

Now that I know how to crate these babies, all I need is a buyer!  :thumb:

gab

hanguy

« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2015, 08:21 pm »
Here is how mine got shipped to me. No damage at all. We used YRC for freight shipping.

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 18 Nov 2015, 08:40 pm »
Here is how mine got shipped to me. No damage at all. We used YRC for freight shipping.

Man, you were lucky.

gab

« Reply #6 on: 18 Nov 2015, 08:46 pm »
Hanguy - that looks scary! I'd be afraid to try that. Although the empty LS-6 cabinets I bought from AV123 were done like that - 2 strapped side buy side standing up vertically on a pallet. But they were packaged pretty good in the factory cardboard box.

gab

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #7 on: 18 Nov 2015, 08:52 pm »
To any of you who have successfully done this, I'd appreciate some advice.

How did you build your shipping crate (2 indiv crates, one speaker per?; Upright or how in the crate did the Super-Vs go?; 2" styrofoam all around the crate?; How did you protect the finish?; Did you remove the bases and pack/ship separately? )

Who did you use for shipping?

How did you insure everything?

I've read thru this AC thread so I have a basic feel for what I am up against:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=48053.0

Just trying to get any pointers from anyone who has actually shipped Super-Vs before.

Thanks

gab

Rubin shipped mine in a self built crate of chip board and 1x3s on all edges and as support in between. He used sheet rock screws to screw everything together. He used soft blankets to protect the paint and stuffed foam blocks and chunks everywhere. He crated both of them together and supported them extremely well so they wouldn't move at all in the crate. It took me almost an hour to take the boxes apart and get the speakers out.

I wish I would have taken pictures, it really was a work of art.

bdp24

« Reply #8 on: 18 Nov 2015, 08:57 pm »
Speaking of Ruben, does anyone know if he's okay?

gab

« Reply #9 on: 18 Nov 2015, 09:08 pm »
Rubin shipped mine in a self built crate of chip board and 1x3s on all edges and as support in between. He used sheet rock screws to screw everything together. He used soft blankets to protect the paint and stuffed foam blocks and chunks everywhere. He crated both of them together and supported them extremely well so they wouldn't move at all in the crate. It took me almost an hour to take the boxes apart and get the speakers out.

I wish I would have taken pictures, it really was a work of art.

Gregfisk - thanks. Do you recall if he removed the base from each speaker or were they attached? If removed, did he ship those separately (along with the amps), or was it all within the crate?

gab

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 18 Nov 2015, 11:00 pm »
Gregfisk - thanks. Do you recall if he removed the base from each speaker or were they attached? If removed, did he ship those separately (along with the amps), or was it all within the crate?

gab

Sorry gab,

I should have mentioned that I already had all of the drivers and amps and installed them myself. My guess thou is he would have done it the same way, they were packed so well I don't think the weight would have been an issue. The only thing I would worry about is the screws holding the drivers secure, would hate to have those pull out.

gab

« Reply #11 on: 18 Nov 2015, 11:09 pm »
Sorry gab,

I should have mentioned that I already had all of the drivers and amps and installed them myself. My guess thou is he would have done it the same way, they were packed so well I don't think the weight would have been an issue. The only thing I would worry about is the screws holding the drivers secure, would hate to have those pull out.

Gregfisk - I was referring to the penguin feet or "X" base, not the bass drivers. I wasn't very clear. Curious if they were attached or not (I'm guessing not).

gab

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 18 Nov 2015, 11:25 pm »
Gregfisk - I was referring to the penguin feet or "X" base, not the bass drivers. I wasn't very clear. Curious if they were attached or not (I'm guessing not).

gab

Not.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #13 on: 19 Nov 2015, 12:08 am »

Would you be willing to introduce me to your guardian angel :wink:? I'd fret about it whether on the sending or receiving end. Glad they arrived unscathed

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 19 Nov 2015, 04:20 am »

gab

Hey gab,

I tried sending you a reply but my internet went down right before I hit the send button and then had to leave. Danny is correct, no feet as I didn't even have them made. Plus, the way Ruben packaged them up the feet would have been in the way for getting them snug in the crate.

cleestedwood

« Reply #15 on: 24 Nov 2015, 04:06 pm »
What is the approximate weight of two assembled Super-Vs and amps for shipping ?

Danny Richie

« Reply #16 on: 24 Nov 2015, 04:11 pm »
What is the approximate weight of two assembled Super-Vs and amps for shipping ?

Seems like each speaker was about 180 pounds.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #17 on: 24 Nov 2015, 04:18 pm »
Not Super V's, but this might be helpful. Scroll down a ways to see photos.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=122387.msg1291274#msg1291274

I think the key is to protect in a couple of ways. First, put space around object so box crate intrusions are less  likely to damage contents. Assume it will be dropped so interior needs some kinda firm but shock absorbing material...like foam. I like the exoskeleton because it gives freight gorillas something to grab which lessens the possibility of dropping.

I'd wrap speaker in either plastic or some soft material....sort of a slip cover that would prevent chaffing of packaging on finish.

Imagining what I'd do with V's: Ship amps separately. I'd probably build crate so speaker lays on it's side, that way the thickest, strongest surface is supporting the speaker. Then glue foam blocks strategically  to "capture" and secure sideways movement. I try to leave corners and fragile in free air so there aren't concentrated pressure points that will rub excessively. Make bottom of crate solid and then either build pallet below or strap to loose pallet. I've watched how things work in freight depots and forklift is the tool of choice...make it easy to handle and it lowers the risk of damage.

Believe it or not, truck freight seems to fare better then UPS/FEDEX etc.

Aside from labeling the box for top and bottom, I'm convinced garnering it with fragile stickers is just not effective. My crating credo is "build for the worst case scenario" which for these would be stabbing with a forklift or dropping off dock.

Good Luck!

Adding a couple of recent photos for reference.

Peter J.

Nicely done.

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #18 on: 24 Nov 2015, 05:02 pm »
As PeterJ mentioned, YRC seems to do a good job. The guy on the fork lift slid the the crate into the back of my Buick Enclave with no more than an couple of inches on each side. He was really careful, of course I was standing right there and it was my car and my speakers at stake.