General Notices

Paul Hynes

• Facilitator
    • http://www.paulhynesdesign.com
General Notices
« on: 17 Jun 2012, 11:34 am »

I mean with no disrespect to anyone with my following comments but it may come as a shock to some of you that I do not actually work 24/7/365. The Internet operates these hours but I do not.

My usual work periods are Monday to Friday 10am to 6 pm GMT with up to an hour for lunch when convenient to my work schedule. I do not work weekends and I do not work evenings. I have other commitments outside normal working hours that are non-negotiable. Occasionally, I may be working on a personal project outside my working hours, that requires connection to the internet and sometimes, if I have a few spare moments I will answer some e-mail. This is obviously giving the false impression that I am available all the time and people are therefore expecting a response under these circumstances whenever they see fit to send e-mail.

I get a lot of e-mail communication and if I stopped to answer it all as and when it arrives I would never get any product out of the door. My office lass has started to answer some of the e-mail, but is limited in her ability to respond, and can only answer non-technical enquiries. So if there is any technical content to the e-mail she will just drop the mail in my pile. Also she is only here part time and has many other duties to perform in the office while she is at work. Many of these duties are time critical, supporting my work schedule, and she cannot just drop the ball to answer e-mail on the fly.

So what is my point? Well, firstly expect a delay with answers to your e-mail, then, if there is a delay answering your e-mail, you will not be disappointed. I am trying to minimise delays but this is currently essentially a one-man business with a high workload and no contingency for the niceties of an ideal business operation.

The supply of regulator modules and power supplies customised to order was originally conceived for friends and consultancy clients who had an on-going interest in what I do. The Internet has proved to be a very powerful thing and word of mouth, about the quality level of my products, has accelerated demand way past my original intended level of business. Keeping up with this demand is keeping me very busy. This is just the way it is at present and it will remain so until I can reach the point where I can effectively support business expansion. Those of you with business experience will understand the issues involved when a business reaches this level of activity. Plans have already been activated for this business expansion but it will take time to reach fruition in a safe controlled manner. Incidentally, this will also mean that the business cost overhead will rise and this will inevitably lead to product price increases along the way. There’s no such thing as a free lunch.

Regards
Paul