Low impedence speakers for Decware Zen

inrank

Low impedence speakers for Decware Zen
« on: 17 May 2012, 12:22 pm »
Hi All,

I have a Decware Zen (SE84C W) amp, and read that it really likes low impedance (2-4Ohms) to go with high efficiency for speakers.

I guess more resistive impedance loads like panel speakers tend to have are suited to valve amps?

Any suggestions of speakers that could work well?

I have done a few full-range speaker projects, but I dont really have room for bipole speakers to take advantage of the 4 Ohm (two 8 Ohm drivers in parallel) as they would need to go near rear walls. Listening room is not massive and deep bass is not a priority.

Room-

System by hoopsontoast, on Flickr

System-

Decware Zen by hoopsontoast, on Flickr

Cheers, Rob

Opus Flatus

Re: Low impedence speakers for Decware Zen
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2012, 02:03 pm »
I have had the SE 84C for about 5 years and it is one off my favorite amps. In my opinion impedance isn't as important as simplicity of the cross over with this low watt amp and high SPL's. With that said I have listened to this amp with speakers with no crossovers to crossovers with Linkwitz Riley 4th order slopes and lowish SPL's. Most of the speakers I have used are DIY or kits. If you are handy GR Research's Neo 3S (built for about $650/pair with purchased cabinets) is an outstanding match. It is a very well designed speaker, easy load and high SPL. Single drivers in bass reflex cabinets sound thin to me. I prefer 2-ways.The LR4 speaker were SEAS metal cone about 85 SPL and sound very good with decent output. I listen at moderate levels. I treasure my hearing. In the future I want to try a horn loaded single driver like Frugal horn.

Purchased speakers I have used from cheap to more money: Pioneer SP-BS21-LR - vinyl finish but surprisingly good sounding. Decware DM945, bought used, I redid the crossover -it's a bit weak in the bass and mids compared to the GR Neo 3S. Soundfield Audio Monitor 1 - is very good and bass is no issue with its built in plate amp.

I think any Ref 3A speaker would be excellent with the Zen amp. Tekton also has a few models that would work with the amp. the new Lore is getting good reviews.

R_burke

« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2012, 04:17 pm »
Zu Omen Def is 98 db efficient speaker rated at 6 ohm

inrank

« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2012, 05:16 pm »
Hi, Thanks for the ideas, should have added I am in the UK, and budget of around £500  :thumb:

jerryleefish

« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2012, 09:24 am »
 Impedance is a bit profound for me especially with a multi speaker ensemble.
 One reference would be the Klipschorn which uses a 4 ohm wolfer. The midrange and tweeter being 8 ohms respectively. My only conclusion would be
 to balance the bass horn with its treble counter parts. Bass can dominate in a horn enclosure and needs attenuating. The crossover in this configuration is also a puzzelment. Having components for eight and four ohm speakers which amplifier output impedance should be used? Tube amps go with horns for some unspecified reason. 

lcrim

« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2012, 12:04 pm »

Power Amp   Decware Select SE84CS w/ Hazen mod
Speakers   Parker Audio 95 MKII 

There's plenty of online info re: low impedance speakers that work well w/ this amp.
I've had these for a long time and they are a terrific match.  Same builder has some newer models.
Larry

wroman214

« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2012, 04:48 am »
Is Castle still making speakers, they had some interesting stuff and were very easy to listen to long term. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2012, 05:01 am »
Hi, Thanks for the ideas, should have added I am in the UK, and budget of around £500  :thumb:

Check out the new Omega line with the 4.5" drivers. The drivers were recently updated with some new cabinets added as well, and the value for the money is off the charts IMO. I've heard a lot of single driver speakers, some up to 5-6 figures, and the Omegas are among the best regardless of price. Sensitivity is 94.5 dB and there is no crossover, they work great with my 5 watt EL34 power amp, and would work great with an Zen as long as you don't require 100+ dB peaks.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=109944.0

inrank

« Reply #8 on: 19 Dec 2012, 07:23 am »
Hi thanks, I am aware of them but shipping/Tax will be a lot to the UK unfortunatley.  :(

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #9 on: 19 Dec 2012, 07:31 am »
... I dont really have room for bipole speakers to take advantage of the 4 Ohm (two 8 Ohm drivers in parallel) as they would need to go near rear walls. Listening room is not massive and deep bass is not a priority.

A diy solution -- have a look at the castle version of the microTower -- meant to fill those roles where a bipole would be nice except you can't get it far enuff out from the wall. http://frugal-phile.com/boxes-CSS.html (the ML-TL part of the 1st section).

A pair of Mark Audio EL70s or CHP70 (gen 1) will give you 2 ohms, a pair of CHR will give you 4 ohms.

Rumoh has a stash of the CHPs (Europe mostly) that are a real bargain... 6 of 1, 1.2 dozen of another between it and EL70 (North America mainly). CHPs tune the same as CHR.

http://www.rumoh.eu/en/mark-audio/3891-chp-70-gen1.html
http://www.rumoh.eu/en/creative-sound-solutions/798-css-el70.html
http://www.rumoh.eu/en/mark-audio/3919-mark-audio-alpair-chr-70-coppergold.html

Note that on paper they aren't really efficient. But are very surprising wrt that. The same concept could be explored with more efficient drivers.

dave

inrank

« Reply #10 on: 19 Dec 2012, 09:40 am »
Thanks Dave, I am aware of the Mark Audio drivers, its just the sensitivity that I am a little wary of.
I got reasonable volume with the Decware and the 80dB monitors mentioned, but really would like a fair bit more headroom. (not a headbanger by any means though)

gotog

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jan 2013, 08:25 pm »
How about one of the Decware speaker offerings -- DM945 or MG944

Guy 13

« Reply #12 on: 6 May 2014, 02:30 am »

Power Amp   Decware Select SE84CS w/ Hazen mod
Speakers   Parker Audio 95 MKII 

There's plenty of online info re: low impedance speakers that work well w/ this amp.
I've had these for a long time and they are a terrific match.  Same builder has some newer models.
Larry

Hi Larry.
Yes, I know, this post is 2 years old, but still valid, for me.
I am curious to know, if you bought our Parker 95MKII new or in diy kit
and how did you lined the interior, fiberglass wool or some kind of foam
and did you lined them from top to bottom and all four sides.
There is someone here in Vietnam that want to sell a pair that are in good condition
and he's asking half of today's price which is now 330 USD.
May I ask you your opinion and answers to my questions.
Thanks.

Guy 13

Grinnell

« Reply #13 on: 19 May 2014, 01:48 pm »
I use a Ref 3A de Capo with the Decware Mini Torii.  Sounds great, plenty loud,

doorman

« Reply #14 on: 19 May 2014, 04:37 pm »
Thanks Dave, I am aware of the Mark Audio drivers, its just the sensitivity that I am a little wary of.
I got reasonable volume with the Decware and the 80dB monitors mentioned, but really would like a fair bit more headroom. (not a headbanger by any means though)
If you weren't aware of the  rated sens. of the above mentioned MarkAudio drivers, you may be surprised at how well the Zen drives them, particularly if not a "headbanger"
IMHO there's more to it than specs. Happy hunting !

Guy 13

« Reply #15 on: 20 May 2014, 08:05 am »
Hi all.
I am trying to negotiate a lower price,
since the Vietnamese owner don't know what to do with them
and most Vietnamese don't want to buy a none famous brand.
If I don't like them, my wife will use them
and I will take back my GR Research N3 speakers.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Guy 13