MB Quart Phone 450 = German Acoustics 450 = Charter Oak Acoustics SP-1

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Just got a used like new pair of MB Quart Phone 450.  German-made MB is gone now. 

The equivalent "German Acoustics 450" priced around $350 at Wired For Less.  Apparently the Charter Oak Acoustics SP-1 (discontinued model) is equivalent USA model that may or may not have one or two minor upgrades/modifications.

I've not been a headphone fan till getting these, the best by a long shot I've heard.  Closed but only moderate isolation, not folding type, supreme all day comfort, barely perceived on the head.  They are about as close sounding to my original ASA Pro Monitors as any can is likely to sound, meaning utterly smooth, all day, non-fatigue, supremely musical, detailed, pleasing, great imaging/staging...IMO can't ask for more at this price.  No mid bass hump, extremely clean and pleasing bass, and surprisingly deep bass cutoff, with great presence and bloom (in a good way).  Much better than average bass slam (for a can).   

Listened about a dozen times to the luscious sounding Ingrid Michaelson, The Way I Am.  She was right there.  Neat perceiving her sing some notes about 1/8th tone flat, something I suspect is less audible on speakers. 

Head-Fi forum member bought Charter Oak SP-1, mature guy, owned about a dozen high quality cans.  Since his SP-1 arrived, his interest waned in the better AKG cans.  Pretty high praise considering AKG reputation.

The person who recommended them is a pro recording engineer/producer, and professional singer of classical French music. 

A+ unless more isolation required.   
« Last Edit: 17 Feb 2016, 01:50 am by James Romeyn »