..audiophile fuses..yeah I know

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
..audiophile fuses..yeah I know
« on: 4 Nov 2021, 11:49 pm »
..some of you guys may know that I’m a registered professional engineer, a EE in fact and as such pretty much as skeptical as it gets.  Several years ago I was with the crowd that said power cords simply couldn’t impact sonics, no way but since then after A/Bing OEM cords with the “exotic” variety I came around and now have 5 Lessloss power cords in permanent residence.  Enter the audiophile fuse.  Again I shook my head and said you’ve got to be kidding and laughed it off as just so much audio snake oil.  Recently I’ve read accounts from what I consider credible sources that say a fuse really can affect sonics.  It piqued my interest somewhat, to the point I was seriously considering taking advantage of the 30 day money back deals to be had.  Long story short I ordered two Synergistic Research purple fuses for my MC601 monoblocks.  That particular fuse seemed to the top dog so I bit the bullet and dinged my VISA card for the $400.  I received them today and replaced the two OEM fuses.  Yes Virginia there is such a thing as fuse upgrades  8).  I’ll try and avoid all the audio journalist speak but will say that subtleties that were buried in the mix are now easily heard.  I’ve been listening to several tracks with which I’m intimately familiar and am hearing things that were there before but not particularly noticeable.  There’s just more of everything and it’s going to be tough pulling myself away from my listening chair tonight and reintroducing myself to the Mrs.  Now I’m sure there will be several viewers who think I’m either smoking something or am a shill for SR…I can understand that as I’ve been there.  But I can honestly say that these darn things are the real deal biases aside!  SR isn’t the only dog in the show.  There are several exotic fuse mfrs and they may be just as efficacious.  Bottom line these bad boys have found a home in my 601 fuse holders.  That’s my story and I’m sticking’ with it!

Early B.

Re: ..audiophile fuses..yeah I know
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2021, 01:02 am »
Not surprised at all. Glad to hear you were open-minded enough to experiment and find out for yourself. Wait until some lunatic tells you that changing your outlet to ones with nanocrystals in it that cost nearly $300 apiece yields a sizable improvement and you won't think they're so crazy anymore.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov 2021, 01:31 am »
..think I’ll be passing on the nanocrystals thingy

ric

« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov 2021, 01:38 pm »
I agree with the original post 100%. My guess is that most people that make derogatory comments either haven't heard said fuses, or don't have very sensitive ears.
If you think what you did is nuts, besides some synergistic stuff, I also own two Bybee Technologies products that are about the size of a small can opener and also came with a money back return policy. They did not go back. I have no reason to question how they work or why they work--the proof is in the pudding. If you hear a difference and you can swear it's not placebo affect, then enjoy. I think a lot of said arguments are about money and snake oil, which becomes moot when there is a money back guarantee.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 5 Nov 2021, 02:22 pm »
I don't doubt in the least that you heard differences with the fuses.  I tried a fuse upgrade in my Magnepan 1.6's.  They brought out a little more detail but it made the speaker sound bright so I don't use them.  I have been wanting to try a different brand and see if they are better.

sunnydaze

« Reply #5 on: 5 Nov 2021, 02:32 pm »
Long story short I ordered two Synergistic Research purple fuses for my MC601 monoblocks.  That particular fuse seemed to the top dog so I bit the bullet and dinged my VISA card for the $400.

Ouch!  what happens when / if they blow?    :o

whell

« Reply #6 on: 5 Nov 2021, 06:05 pm »
Ouch!  what happens when / if they blow?    :o

The fuse is expensive enough so that your gear blows before the fuse does.   8)

sunnydaze

« Reply #7 on: 5 Nov 2021, 06:21 pm »
The fuse is expensive enough so that your gear blows before the fuse does.   8)

:rotflmao:

Makes sense!   

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #8 on: 5 Nov 2021, 07:01 pm »
I agree with the original post 100%. My guess is that most people that make derogatory comments either haven't heard said fuses, or don't have very sensitive ears.
If you think what you did is nuts, besides some synergistic stuff, I also own two Bybee Technologies products that are about the size of a small can opener and also came with a money back return policy. They did not go back. I have no reason to question how they work or why they work--the proof is in the pudding. If you hear a difference and you can swear it's not placebo affect, then enjoy. I think a lot of said arguments are about money and snake oil, which becomes moot when there is a money back guarantee.

Well stated. Unless one tries opinions are moot. The Bybee speaker filters are really something.

charles

whydontumarryit

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 5 Nov 2021, 09:19 pm »
You try and it works, the subjective opinion wins, this has been going on forever. I have never heard anyone question the validity of any exotic upgrade. These items should be had for a price far less than what the manufacturers claim in order to further mystify an exhorbitant cash outlay. The question everyone raises is-are you being swindled- and the answer to that is always yes.

This business is satisfying and full of suspicion at the same time. All I'm saying is be careful out there and I hope the fuse purchase wasn't at the cost of mouths to feed because that sure as hell has happened.

sunnydaze

« Reply #10 on: 5 Nov 2021, 09:33 pm »
These items should be had for a price far less than what the manufacturers claim in order to further mystify an exhorbitant cash outlay. The question everyone raises is-are you being swindled- and the answer to that is always yes.

You nailed it, my brother!   :thumb:

But it's a free country.  You wanna be swindled, have at it!    :lol:

ric

« Reply #11 on: 6 Nov 2021, 01:45 pm »
So what else is new? (yawn) So many people are so preoccupied with snake oil, but if WE the general public knew how much everything costs to make vs. what we pay for it...  This is especially true with luxury, upscale items--nobody seems to question why gas prices are so much higher in more upscale areas (I'm in the Bay Area). My sister ended paying $500 for a new thermostat for her house heater because it was an after hours repair. Now THAT's a ripoff!
I'm just saying--ANY luxury item (not the thermostat) buyer beware!

dpatters

« Reply #12 on: 6 Nov 2021, 01:54 pm »
I tried a few upgraded fuses in my system. Didn’t seem to make a difference.

Don P.