Aging VR-4 Gen II's and a Budget Below $5,000...

smilach

Aging VR-4 Gen II's and a Budget Below $5,000...
« on: 22 May 2014, 04:06 am »
For more years than I care to count I have been listening to and enjoying my old VR-4 Gen II's.  Originally I drove them with a Spectron Musician II and now am using a Spectron Musician III MK II.  I feel the early stirrings of that dreaded upgrade bug but have less than $5,000 to spend.  I emailed Von Schweikert but haven't received a response yet so I thought I would ask my questions here.  Which option would you recommend?

1. Sell the Gen II's and purchase a used pair of the original VR-5's, VR-5 HSE's, or the first VR-4 SR.

2. Sell the Gen II's and purchase a pair of VR-33's.

3. Send my Gen II's to VSA for an upgrade (not sure if there are any options for < $5k, need VSA to respond to my email).

Thoughts?  Opinions?  Experiences?

Delacroix

Re: Aging VR-4 Gen II's and a Budget Below $5,000...
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2014, 01:48 am »
Not entirely the same but close enough, I had the 5SEs, same form factor as those 4s, (And I use Spectron Mus III amps too) which I just upgraded to latest model spec (5 Anni IIs). Pleased with the results so I suspect that if you like the Gen IIs and can get an upgrade option on them for your budget that would please your ears too.  I do know the VR22s are superb for the price (well within your budget) and I have heard the 35s sound great at shows so you can find pleasure for sure by going that path but for me, if I could get something done with the 4s, I'd upgrade them. Best talk directly to Albert -- he surely can offer some insights and options.

smilach

« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2014, 02:48 pm »
I heard back from Albert and the only upgrade he mentioned was the VR-44 which he priced at $8,000.  I asked about all the upgrade options so I don't know if this is the only VR-4 Gen II upgrade he offers now or if he was just so busy catching up on his emails that he missed part of my request.  In all fairness he was responding between 11:00 and midnight which makes for a very long day.

Rocket

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2014, 12:45 am »
Hi,

Why don't you sell your current speakers and buy a new pair from VS?  It seems a lot of money to pay for an upgrade to your speakers.  For $8000 there are lot of awfully good speakers for sale.

Cheers Rod

smilach

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2014, 02:05 pm »
I received a follow-up email from Albert.  His recommendation is to buy the VR-33's which he described as being more dynamic and transparent than the VR-4's.  The one factor that makes me hesitate is not knowing how the bass of the VR-33 compares with the VR-4.  I love listening to Taiko drums so the low-end extension and speed of a loudspeaker is an important factor.  If anyone reading this thread has heard both speakers I would be interested in hearing their opinions.

Holli82

« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2014, 02:52 pm »
I'm not the smartest guy in the world, but when Albert tells me to do something, I do it.

mjaudio

« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2014, 05:14 pm »
I have had my VR-4 Gen II's for a long time as well and have tried to replace them a number of times. I did buy a pair of the VR-4 jr's but the Gen II's were better in all aspects that were important to me except looks  :) I also went as far as buying a pair of Aerial 9's which I loved in the showroom and think they look great with the outrigger spikes.  After about a month of going back and forth and a few friends taking a listen I decided to sell the Aerial's and keep the Gen II's since I enjoyed the sound that much more. I have owned a bunch of other speakers as well and the only ones I have liked as much or better are the Triad Gold LCR's I use in my home theater.

I do want to kick myself for not jumping on a deal for some VS VR-4 SR's which I hesitated on and were sold before I could get them. I also have heard the V5 Anniversary editions and my tongue hit the floor they are so good but I am just hoping a deal will fall my way some day for those.

I did speak with Albert about doing the upgrade to my VR-4 Gen II's and LCR-31 center channel a number of years ago. I decided against it since after trying so many other speakers I really began to appreciate even more how much I enjoyed my Gen II's as is. I also thought that my biggest complaint about the VR-4 Gen II is the looks so it would be better to spend that money on the SR editions with the beautiful cabinets and sell the Gen II's. 

I would suggest that whatever you do to buy new speakers first before selling your Gen II's so you can compare in your system. Sounds like you enjoy your Gen II's as much as I do and they're not easy speakers to replace.

Rocket

« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2014, 01:53 am »
Hi,

I just checked out the specifications for these speakers and Von Schweikert states they go down as low as 30hz plus there would be in room bass response as well.  How much bass do you need?  Its always a risk buying online but you do have VR4's and if you like their house sound you should be fine.

Its up to you but it seems like a cost effective upgrade to a new pair of speakers buying new from Von Schweikert.

Regards Rod

stewie

« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2014, 04:22 am »
I had a pair of VR4 Gen III HSE's, sold them and bought a 2nd hand pair of VR5 HSE's back in January. Missed ever so slightly the bass response of the VR4HSE's with their 9 inch woofers, so I got a couple of subwoofers, and I couldn't be happier. The VR5s even w/o the subs are to my ear clearer than the VR4 gen iiis., and easier on the eye to boot.

By the way, there's a very nice pair of VR4 Srs. for under 4k in Portland Oregon. Don't know where you're located.

smilach

« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2014, 12:25 pm »
Thanks for sharing your experiences, stewie.  I did see those VR-4 SR's in Portland.  I'm 1,900 miles east in northcentral Wisconsin so shipping would add significantly to the cost.  I keep my fingers crossed hoping for a pair to go on sale within driving distance in Wisconsin, Illinois or Minnesota.  Depending on how things go a pair of VR-33's might wind up in my rig.

smilach

« Reply #10 on: 29 May 2014, 12:41 pm »
Hi,

I just checked out the specifications for these speakers and Von Schweikert states they go down as low as 30hz plus there would be in room bass response as well.  How much bass do you need?  Its always a risk buying online but you do have VR4's and if you like their house sound you should be fine.

Its up to you but it seems like a cost effective upgrade to a new pair of speakers buying new from Von Schweikert.

Regards Rod

Thanks for your thoughts, Rod.  I haven't ruled out the VR-33's but I am hesitant regarding their performance in the bottom octave. One of the reasons I listen to taiko drums, pipe organs and the cannon fire in the 1812 overture is I really love the low frequency information.  When it comes to tight, tuneful bass that has a palpable presence, I wonder if it is possible for a single 10" driver in a rear-ported, transmission line enclosure to match the impact of a pair of 8" drivers, also in a rear-ported, transmission line enclosure.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #11 on: 29 May 2014, 02:39 pm »
I received a follow-up email from Albert.  His recommendation is to buy the VR-33's which he described as being more dynamic and transparent than the VR-4's.  The one factor that makes me hesitate is not knowing how the bass of the VR-33 compares with the VR-4.  I love listening to Taiko drums so the low-end extension and speed of a loudspeaker is an important factor.  If anyone reading this thread has heard both speakers I would be interested in hearing their opinions.

One of our club members had his upgraded by Albert. About $4000 spent. To my ears a very worthwhile mod. Actually better than his more expensive models. Bass and transparency was eerie good.
     If you live in the NY area you can hear the result. very impressive.

charles
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2014, 03:57 pm by rollo »

roscoeiii

« Reply #12 on: 29 May 2014, 03:02 pm »
Rollo,  got some typos there I think.  Writing from your phone?

My recollection was also that upgrades of VR-4s was in the $4000 range.  What a surprise to see double that mentioned here.

smilach

« Reply #13 on: 29 May 2014, 11:37 pm »

One of our club members had his upgraded by Albert. About $4000 spent. To my ee expensive modehan his morars a very worthwhile mod. Actually better than his more expensive models. Bass and transparency was eerie good.
     If you live in the NY area you can hear the result. very impressive.

charles

Based on the multiple emails from Albert, the days of the $4,000 upgrade are gone.  The only upgrade available now for the old VR-4's is the VR-44 upgrade.  That will cost you $8,000 plus shipping.

roscoeiii

« Reply #14 on: 29 May 2014, 11:59 pm »
A damn shame. I should have upgraded earlier. $4k I can swallow. $8k for an upgrade? Nope, at that price I am looking for a new speaker.

Before pulling the trigger, I'd hoped that VSA would bring the VR-44 to AXPONA. Not last year, and this year they didn't attend at all.

Art21st

« Reply #15 on: 11 Jun 2014, 05:05 pm »
I just ordered a pair of VR-33s last week and cannot wait to get them in and set up.  I am sure I will be posting here when I get them... :D

smilach

« Reply #16 on: 14 Jun 2014, 12:02 am »
I just ordered a pair of VR-33s last week and cannot wait to get them in and set up.  I am sure I will be posting here when I get them... :D

I look forward to reading your report on the VR-33's!  Do you have VSA speakers currently?

Art21st

« Reply #17 on: 16 Jun 2014, 02:15 pm »
I do not own VSA speakers now.  I have heard them a few times over the years and have always been impressed.  I have owned a myriad of speakers in my life from Maggies all the way up to Studio Series Monitor Audios, and bunches in between.  I am definitely looking forward to getting my VR-33s... they can't come soon enough for me.  Side note... I had VSA add bi-wiring capability to my 33s, just an added bonus.  Thanks, Albert!!!

BigSwede

« Reply #18 on: 16 Jun 2014, 03:33 pm »
Of course you're not going to get VSA haters here, but I love my VR-33s. Always a delight to listen to.

Art21st

« Reply #19 on: 18 Jul 2014, 08:39 pm »
Of course you're not going to get VSA haters here, but I love my VR-33s. Always a delight to listen to.
Ok, so... I ordered my VR33s, somewhat customized.  I asked Albert to give my VR-33s bi-wire capability, which he did for a small additional fee.  Even as someone in the A/V industry some choices are still tougher than others and a new pair of speakers is certainly a biggy, at least it was for me. I spent no less than 4 months in the process and am VERY happy that I decided to contact VSA. Because of timing they actually arrived at my office while I was on vacation, never have I been so torn to be on vacation.  Last week I finally had an evening to get them unboxed and set up.  I placed them basically as I felt was proper for my room based on the reviews I have read, about 12" from the back wall and about 8 feet apart, towed in ever so slightly.  I have since moved them back a couple of inches and towed them in a fraction more.  From the word "GO" I was impressed.  The music JUMPS out of these speakers in all directions in a way that I have never heard before.  The articulation and coherency is just scary good.  Instruments and voices that emanate from their single point with all related nuances attached to that single place....amazing.  The bass is staggering... not too much mind you but gobs of it and accurate in a way that that makes one appreciate a lot of bass.  Every review that I have read on the VR-33s have indicated that after a few hundred hours of break-in that they will get even better, I can't wait.  To say that I am satisfied would be a gross understatement.  The entire experience with Albert, Devon and VSA was one that is rare these days as they went the extra mile to make sure I got exactly the right speaker, exactly as I wanted it.  Customer service that is rarely experienced these days.  Kudos to VSA for their efforts and products.  I will update in several weeks as the 33s begin to reveal their full nature.