Amplifer for Von Schweikert VR-4

QWERT

Amplifer for Von Schweikert VR-4
« on: 8 Sep 2012, 01:37 pm »
Recently I purchased the Von Schweikert VR-4.

What amplifiers recommended for them?

roscoeiii

Re: Amplifer for Von Schweikert VR-4
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2012, 01:49 pm »
Of those I have tried, I have preferred the Rogue Stereo 90 using the 4 ohm tap (the bass module is 4 ohm, so the 40 ohm tap works better even though the speaker is nominally 6-7 ohm).

And in general I'd recommend bi-wiring.

StereoNut

« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2012, 02:22 pm »
Qwert

This thread should keep you busy reading for quite a while!

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=59450.0

Enjoy! :thumb:

SN

roscoeiii

« Reply #3 on: 8 Sep 2012, 02:44 pm »
Yes, I meant to link to that thread.

In that thread, someone speculates about Butler hybrid amps with VSA, which is what I was using with the VR-4s before my Rogue arrived. For the 91dB VR-4s I preferred the Rogue. For less efficient speakers that crave power (such as my SP Tech Minis), the Butler was preferable. As always, synergy is everything. 

StereoNut

« Reply #4 on: 8 Sep 2012, 03:22 pm »
FWIW - I recently had my VR-4 Gen.III's upgraded by V.S.A. to the 2012 MOD version.  Was running a Naim NAP 250 amp (70 WPC) but it seemed like they needed more "horsepower".  I just bought a used NYAL Moscode 600 Hybrid (tubes on the front end/Moscodes on the back) amp, which is 300 WPC and my VR-4 MOD 2012's seem happier.  Of course, introducing some tubes into the equation has also been a part of things sounding better.  The Moscode 600's are very tough to find on the used market, but are well worth it to me.  Especially considering the price/performance ratio.  Most important though (like Roscoeiii said) is SYNERGY!!!   Y.M.M.V.