Reminiscing about Dodd Audio

HAL

Reminiscing about Dodd Audio
« on: 2 Jun 2019, 11:19 pm »
Since I am about to sell my Dodd Audio Stereo battery amp, got it setup to check out.  It is connected to an original pair AV123 X-LS speakers.  No 12VDC battery, so running it with my Tenma 2-15VDC@25A regulated power supply.

Ran it with the dspMusikLCD 2x16 from The Megaliths as a DAC from the HAL MS-5 Music Server.

It is making music again and listened to the setup for about 25 minutes to check it out.  Still sounds good to me.

Now to get it packed up for the next owner.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
Re: Reminiscing about Dodd Audio
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jun 2019, 10:01 pm »
Have any idea how powerful that amp is.when a battery is powering it...?

HAL

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jun 2019, 10:04 pm »
Gary rated it at 15wpc on 12VDC.

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #3 on: 3 Jun 2019, 11:33 pm »
Can you give anymore information on the amp..?
 :popcorn:

HAL

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jun 2019, 11:42 pm »
It uses JJ E88CC preamp and JJ EL84 output push-pull tubes.  Has both 4 and 8 ohm taps on the output transformers via Cardas binding posts.

I have no more info than the power rating.

This is already pending sale at this point.

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #5 on: 3 Jun 2019, 11:51 pm »
It uses JJ E88CC preamp and JJ EL84 output push-pull tubes.  Has both 4 and 8 ohm taps on the output transformers via Cardas binding posts.

I have no more info than the power rating.

This is already pending sale at this point.

I'm always a day late and a dollar short..
 :popcorn:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #6 on: 4 Jun 2019, 12:40 am »
I have a pair of little amps Gary built for me using the same tubes, so I suspect much of it has similar DNA.  Although mine is also in the 15 wpc realm, I will say that they are vigorous little guys and don't run out of ummph on moderately efficient speakers (90 dB or so). 

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #7 on: 4 Jun 2019, 01:48 am »
I have a pair of little amps Gary built for me using the same tubes, so I suspect much of it has similar DNA.  Although mine is also in the 15 wpc realm, I will say that they are vigorous little guys and don't run out of ummph on moderately efficient speakers (90 dB or so). 

Those are sweet, bro.. :popcorn:

HAL

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jul 2019, 07:53 pm »
Got word that the Dodd Stereo Battery amp is alive and running in its new home system.   :D

skalos

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jul 2019, 05:02 pm »
Hello,

I am the proud new owner of the Dodd amplifier.  Rich took great care in handling this transaction, thanks.

I have two 35AH batteries in parallel powering the amp at two 18AH batteries in parallel powering the preamp.  These reside in battery boxes behind the chair in the photo.

The Dodds are running the GR-Research NS3S speakers which I believe are 92db sensitive and the 15 watts powers them to more than enough volume.  I will be inserting a line level crossover at about 80-100hz to free up the base.  The GR-Research sealed servo-woofers can more than handle bass up to 80-100hz.

If anyone knows the input impedance for the Dodd Amp please let me know as I need that spec. to build the crossover.

FYI, in the photo, the wrist band is a reminder for my wife to turn off the amp and preamp so that the batteries recharge (small price to pay for no AC line noise).

Very Happy.

Best,

Steven

HAL

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jul 2019, 02:44 am »
Steven,
Glad Gary's amp arrived safely and it is again making music in your system. 

I hope you enjoy it!

Best,
Rich

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #11 on: 17 Jul 2019, 01:30 pm »
  Gary lives on through his work. Still have two Dodd preamps. A 6H30 version and a balanced 12B based one. Miss him.

charles