Help needed - sudden spike in volume

Tezza009

Help needed - sudden spike in volume
« on: 16 Jun 2024, 04:24 am »
Hi All,

I have a full Bryston setup. BDP-1, BDA-1, BP173, 7Bsst2, BHA-1, Bryston cables. I also have a Samsung TV connected to the BDA-1 using an optical cable. Speakers are Wilson Sasha-2.

Last night when listening to the TV at low volumes the volume suddenly and dramatically increased. It did not reduce until I quickly turned the BP173 volume control down. After this things returned to normal. Luckily this only damaged the resistors on one of the midrange speakers which I have been able to replace.

This sudden spike in volume also happened several months ago although I cannot recall if the TV was the source.

Hopefully, someone on this forum can help me understand what might be the cause of this.

Thanks
Terry

tcmo

Re: Help needed - sudden spike in volume
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2024, 12:45 pm »
I had the same thing happen about 2 years ago with a Yamaha tuner to a B135-SST2.  I was not in the room when the volume increased dramatically.  I used the mute button to shut it down.  Re-hit the mute button and all was back to normal.  I never did determine what happened but there was no damage to anything.
This was no help in solving the problem but you are not the only one to experience this.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2024, 01:44 pm »
Please email Adam on this.  atanner@bryston.com

Mag

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2024, 01:56 pm »
Not much help either. When it happened to me using my media player on computer, I had a double-click virus on my computer.

R. Daneel

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2024, 08:59 am »
Hi All,

I have a full Bryston setup. BDP-1, BDA-1, BP173, 7Bsst2, BHA-1, Bryston cables. I also have a Samsung TV connected to the BDA-1 using an optical cable. Speakers are Wilson Sasha-2.

Last night when listening to the TV at low volumes the volume suddenly and dramatically increased. It did not reduce until I quickly turned the BP173 volume control down. After this things returned to normal. Luckily this only damaged the resistors on one of the midrange speakers which I have been able to replace.

This sudden spike in volume also happened several months ago although I cannot recall if the TV was the source.

Hopefully, someone on this forum can help me understand what might be the cause of this.

Thanks
Terry

Hi Terry!

I think the issue is in the volume control of your BP-17. One other person here reported the same issue with their B-135 integrated which, I believe uses the same volume control. As far as I know, compared to BP-16 and B-100, the BP-17 and B-135 have a resistor-ladder chip handling the volume as opposed to a conventional volume potentiometer.

Though it's difficult to say what the problem is - it might be a glitch or it might be a malfunction that happens in certain circumstances, I've read on forums that this typically happens if the volume pot is used only seldom and at lower listening volumes and that using the pot regularly seems to help. You could rotate it a bit, from minimum to maximum, while no music is playing.

IMHO, this is a major long-term issue with electronically-controlled and digital volume controls - sometimes they behave erratically and a small oversight on the user's end can cause damage to speakers or headphones.

Even very elaborate volume controls that use physical resistors instead of an IC can sometimes be noisy. In such instances, rotating the pot usually resolves the issue.

Sorry I can't be of more help to you.
Cheers - Antun

jobiwon

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2024, 01:35 pm »

IMHO, this is a major long-term issue with electronically-controlled and digital volume controls - sometimes they behave erratically and a small oversight on the user's end can cause damage to speakers or headphones.

Does Not require an "oversight":

I had gen 1 Rogue Audio RP-1 that had an inferior digital volume control.  It went completely wonky and one day while turning the volume down it shot to max volume  :o :? :cry:.  Credit to the Focal 926s that withstood the surge from a 150w power amp.   Shipped it back to Rogue and they replaced the control board and no problems since. 

I would highly recommend to anyone who has an investment in nice speakers to get that situation looked at immediately.

R. Daneel

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2024, 12:22 pm »
Does Not require an "oversight":

I had gen 1 Rogue Audio RP-1 that had an inferior digital volume control.  It went completely wonky and one day while turning the volume down it shot to max volume  :o :? :cry:.  Credit to the Focal 926s that withstood the surge from a 150w power amp.   Shipped it back to Rogue and they replaced the control board and no problems since. 

I would highly recommend to anyone who has an investment in nice speakers to get that situation looked at immediately.

Exactly!

Tezza009

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2024, 11:06 pm »
Thanks for your responses. Bryston are going to replace a part in the BP17 under warranty.
Hopefully, this fixes the issue.

R. Daneel

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jun 2024, 06:17 am »
Thanks for your responses. Bryston are going to replace a part in the BP17 under warranty.
Hopefully, this fixes the issue.

That's good! It will solve the problem as I don't think there's anything else that could cause it. Good luck!

Cheers - Antun