Best Bluetooth Headphones?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Best Bluetooth Headphones?
« on: 6 Jun 2024, 10:21 am »
"Best" can be pretty subjective, especially with audio!  Just looking for some suggestions.  I am looking to pick up some new Bluetooth headphones.  While they'll be used for watching videos on Youtube and probably films on Amazon and Netflix I want something that can do a credible job with music as well.  I want something closed back and that will be comfortable enough for wear for maybe four or five hours at a time.  ANC is irrelevant to me as I will only use them at home.  While I want something decent I don't intended to supplant loudspeakers, just elevate the quality of my time using headphones, so I want to keep them to around $500 or less.

Thanks for any input! :popcorn:

mcgsxr

Re: Best Bluetooth Headphones?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jun 2024, 01:52 pm »
Both my daughters are IOS users and like the Apple airpod pro's for use on the go and for music etc around the house.

When I offered to buy them noise cancelling headphones for use in Uni dorms - both opted for the Sony WH-1000XM5's.  They both love them for movies, laptop use etc.  They have only used the noise cancelling during dorm life, and recommend them to any with the $ for them.

Good luck with the decision!

*edit - realizing one has the v4 and the other the V5.  They both love them.
« Last Edit: 6 Jun 2024, 11:41 pm by mcgsxr »

listenermark

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jun 2024, 02:58 pm »
 I second the Sony recommendation. I've had the XM4's and two years and they still look brand new, sound decent, and battery life is hasn't changed since new.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jun 2024, 03:59 pm »
I bought my wife a pair of B&W Px7s2e.  They are comfortable and sound great.

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/bowers-and-wilkins-px7-s2e

They do some things better than the Sony and visa versa but the build quality is better with the Px7s2e.  Sony and Bose have slightly better noise cancelling but the P7 has better sound quality and build.  And I have no issues with the ANC ability of the P7's.  It works great.   The P7 is also more comfortable.

If you want better sound quality and comfort, jump up to the Px8

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/bowers-and-wilkins-px8

Freo-1

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jun 2024, 07:20 pm »
I've got a pair of Sennheiser Momentum 4.  Not sure they are the absolute best, BUT, they are very good.  The interface SW is very good.  Sonarworks app can further improve the playback. 

ljiminez

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jun 2024, 08:22 pm »
If you already own some good wired headphones, I suggest the IFI Go Blu.

https://www.amazon.com/iFi-blu-Bluetooth-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B095HKWDJD?th=1

Zuman

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jun 2024, 11:14 pm »
I also have the Sennheiser Momentum 4. They sound good and have outstanding battery life, which can be very useful when traveling. I picked mine up with an open-box discount from that big-box electronics store with the blue and yellow color scheme...

stylerb

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jun 2024, 11:56 pm »
ive probably owned 15-20 pairs of BT headphones. my preference are the Bowers and Wilkins. however, the Sony are good. the apple are too bass heavy. Sennheiser momentum 4 are good.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 7 Jun 2024, 05:24 am »
Thanks, folks!  I was strongly considering the Sony 'phones as the price is good and they're available locally.  I have also considered the Grados (forget the model) along with some aftermarket earcups to make them over-the-ear instead of on-ear.  But the B&Ws sound like a very strong contender as well.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 8 Jun 2024, 06:29 am »
Well, I just ordered a pair of B&W Px7s2e phones in blue. :thumb:  I should have 'em on Thursday, and I'll report my impressions once I try them a bit. Thanks, all! 8)

jetpack

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jun 2024, 06:57 am »
My goto bluetooth headphones are Bang & Olufsen H9. Soundwise, they compete with my Fostex TH600. The B&O are super comfortable for me. I do use the ANC for long haul flights (I live in the southern hemisphere), but they are great with it turned off as well.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #11 on: 8 Jun 2024, 03:45 pm »
Well, I just ordered a pair of B&W Px7s2e phones in blue. :thumb:  I should have 'em on Thursday, and I'll report my impressions once I try them a bit. Thanks, all! 8)

We have the same color.  Enjoy!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 13 Jun 2024, 04:46 am »
I got the B&Ws today and have been wringing them out for a couple hours.  My tentative impressions are WOW!  Beyond what I expected for Bluetooth headphones!  I don't have a lot of experience with headphones for music listening as I've always been a loudspeaker guy but for listening at my computer they're not embarrassed by the Monitor Audio Gold Reference 10s I have connected to my PC.  As a headphone nOOb I'm stunned by the ANC.  It's pretty shocking how well it works and it seems it's probably not even in the same league as the Sony phones.  For three hundred and and change they're pretty detailed yet smooth.  And pretty comfortable although we'll see how they feel after a couple movies in a row.

I must confess they have me curious how good the Px8s are...

My one real quibble is the lack of real manual.  I had a devil of a time connecting these for the first time and I'm no Luddite!  I'm left wondering many things such as, can the ANC be toggled off?  Are there any tone controls or balance sliders?  The Bowers & Wilkins app seems nonfunctional, a real letdown for semi-expensive consumer grade cans.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #13 on: 13 Jun 2024, 02:58 pm »
Glad to hear that you like the headphones.  Yes, the ANC can be turned on and off.

Here is a link to the Manual-

https://www.manua.ls/bowers-and-wilkins/px7-s2e/manual

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 14 Jun 2024, 01:22 am »
Thanks!  I'll peruse the manual, thanks for the link. :thumb:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 15 Jun 2024, 12:46 am »
Awesome, I figured it out.  I'm really liking this phones a lot, and more as I figure out how to use everything. :lol: :thumb:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 18 Jun 2024, 10:19 am »
After about a week of use I'm very pleased with these phones.  The sounds is very good for the money, the feature set is excellent and perhaps most importantly l find them to be very comfortable.  Thanks for the tip! :thumb:

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #18 on: 18 Jun 2024, 10:18 pm »
After about a week of use I'm very pleased with these phones.  The sounds is very good for the money, the feature set is excellent and perhaps most importantly l find them to be very comfortable.  Thanks for the tip! :thumb:

Glad to see that you are enjoying the headphones.  I am always a little leery recommending gear because it is so subjective.  For the price, they are hard to beat.

stylerb

« Reply #19 on: 18 Jun 2024, 11:55 pm »
cool, glad you like them. they tick a lot of boxes for me too and have a more premium fit and finish compared to others.