Capitol Audio Fest 2014

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
Re: Capitol Audio Fest 2014
« Reply #100 on: 27 Jul 2014, 12:41 am »
I have to second the opinion on the smaller Daedalus room, my 2 fav speakers were the Muse and Klaus's Kismet Reference floorstanders. Enjoyed lunch at Mi Rancho, and delighted in seeing Laura do her Monty Python 'run away' impression when ScottDazzle put on DaftPunk album.

Gene

As usual, Daedalus was impressive, although I found the smaller, simpler system more musical:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #101 on: 27 Jul 2014, 12:42 am »
Had a fine time today at the show.  Stopped in many of the rooms for a listen, but did not take pictures.   Met up with a lot of the MAAC folks in the halls and rooms along the way.

Viva HiFi in 610 is using a HAL MS-2 Music Server as the digital player into the moded Oppo player.  The digital and phono setups sounded very good in the room into the Mod Wright and Daedalus setup. 

Heard a few other good sounding setups during the day, so it was a fun time.   

dB Cooper

« Reply #102 on: 27 Jul 2014, 12:53 am »
I have to second the opinion on the smaller Daedalus room, my 2 fav speakers were the Muse and Klaus's Kismet Reference floorstanders.
Gene
Yeah, those were (as Odyssey usually is) outstanding, all the more so considering the price. Their little standmounts were impressive too but were being driven by what sounded like a clipping amplifier during an overzealous demo while I was there. No such problem with the tower system. "The Clue" was a contender for me too, as were Salk's awesome Exoticas if someone wants to provide me with a blank check...

I saw other cameras there!!! Let's see some more pics!

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #103 on: 27 Jul 2014, 04:53 am »

The "Steve Carty" Cowboy Cut - a giant bone-in rib eye :drool:

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #104 on: 27 Jul 2014, 04:58 am »

A Great Steak for a Great Man. Klaus / Odyssey Audio

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #105 on: 27 Jul 2014, 05:03 am »

The usual suspects. The Classics Restaurant, Silver Spring, MD, Sat 26 July post CAF.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #106 on: 27 Jul 2014, 05:05 am »
PhillA - we left a space open in your honor next to Bunky. Next year please fill it!

Phil A

« Reply #107 on: 27 Jul 2014, 03:42 pm »
PhillA - we left a space open in your honor next to Bunky. Next year please fill it!

Jon - thanks :green:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #108 on: 27 Jul 2014, 06:56 pm »
Wow what an awesome talk with Klaus from Odessey Audio joined later by Matthew from VPI, Scott from Part Time Audiophile, and the guy from Fiekert tonearms who's name escapes me.  What an informative 2 hrs.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #109 on: 27 Jul 2014, 09:56 pm »
I have to work on Saturday but I should be able to make it down there in time for dinner  :thumb: :thumb:

If you want Klaus's bookshelves/stands, call him.

jdavies

« Reply #110 on: 28 Jul 2014, 01:37 am »
Wow what an awesome talk with Klaus from Odessey Audio joined later by Matthew from VPI, Scott from Part Time Audiophile, and the guy from Fiekert tonearms who's name escapes me.  What an informative 2 hrs.

Were there any particularly memorable insights?   Sorry I wasn't able to be there.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #111 on: 28 Jul 2014, 03:21 am »
Were there any particularly memorable insights?   Sorry I wasn't able to be there.

Kinda hard to distill two hours into a couple of paragraphs.  Iraina did video tape the whole talk so maybe a replay on his website.  I can say it wasn't technical as Klaus isn't a designer, it was split into two main topics, room setup and the audio business, with a quick blurb about Klaus's beginnings in the Audio business.  There was only about ten or fifteen of us so we just circled the chairs and had a chat around the campfire. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #112 on: 2 Aug 2014, 07:04 pm »
Here's a six minute video from "AVShowReports" with Darrel and Diana Hawthorne of Hawthorne Audio with their new speakers run by "Core Audio Technology" equipment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCRJgCJn0B0

Bob

p.s. "Yes". This is a shill post. ;)

Part-Time Audiophile

• Bright. Shiny. Mine?
    • Part-Time Audiophile
« Reply #113 on: 3 Aug 2014, 02:02 am »

For the record, that was Frank Schröder of Schröder Tonearms. Great guy and his tonearms are legend.

Klaus is fun and I still can't get over the sound he offers at the price that he offers it .... Anyway, more from the show coming soon. In the meantime, here's Klaus giving a salute to those willing to spend more in order to get less:

And here's another shot, right before Klaus crushed me like a old soda can.