Advice on moving LS 9 speakers

gmarks

Advice on moving LS 9 speakers
« on: 28 May 2023, 04:40 pm »
I have a pair of LS 9s listed in the For Sale section of AudioCircle. This morning I posted about the size and weight of the speakers and that started me thinking further about how to move them while protecting the drivers.

I'm posting this to learn of any advice or experience that others may have to offer about how to properly do this.

I do not recall thinking a lot about it when I first got the speakers and moved them into place, but I now anticipate that any damage to the drivers will be hard to repair because replacements units are scarce.

My thoughts as a result: All handling should be done with hands on the very top or bottom, beyond where the drivers are - or from the back of the cabinets.

The best sequence I can imagine, to prepare for crating, would be to tip sideways, and then lift the bottoms onto some support surface so that the base can be unscrewed.

Then I would place 2" or so lifting straps under the speaker at each end and roll them so the backside is on straps, with the drivers facing up.

With the straps under the speakers they would then be lifted into the crates.

I've not yet opened up the crates to see how the speakers fit inside, but I assume if I'm lifting with straps I can move them into the crates with no problem. They must drop in with backside down, or maybe (less likely) slide in from the side. I recall a foam wrap around the speaker, I assume I left that in the crate. If anyone has any experience with re-using AV123 crates, that is another area of advice I'd appreciate.

rufrothy

Re: Advice on moving LS 9 speakers
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jun 2023, 06:11 am »
I dont have any advise on packing these but I am very interested in these but as a long time lurker and owner of many GR research speakers via AV123.   I cant PM you as I have not posted 3 messages.  So here's an attempt at a 1st post.

I actually pre-ordered a pair of these in birds eye maple and then sold them to a co worker when I got shifted into giving shify money for some RSLs.   Fortunately my co worker received the LS9's about a week before AV123 folded.