GR Research for sale? Really?

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
Re: GR Research for sale? Really?
« Reply #60 on: 5 Mar 2014, 10:50 pm »
Blessing upon all of your endeavors Danny and all I can say is I am excited for you and sad for me :(
 May HE be with you in all you do.

OzarkTom

« Reply #61 on: 5 Mar 2014, 11:20 pm »
Life is short, live your dreams.

I would not be surprised if some company will not grab Danny and he will be the next Andrew Jones. Danny is that good, probably better. :thumb:.

Captainhemo

« Reply #62 on: 7 Mar 2014, 11:47 pm »

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/804-E-Texas-Ave_Iowa-Park_TX_76367_M86964-47172?row=6

Love the color of the Vette  :thumb:
Seems to me,  I remember seeing a similar colored pair of Super V's ,  were those  your personl speakers for a while   Danny ?

-jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #63 on: 8 Mar 2014, 01:13 am »
Love the color of the Vette  :thumb:
Seems to me,  I remember seeing a similar colored pair of Super V's ,  were those  your personl speakers for a while   Danny ?

-jay

I did have some Super-V's in a lighter Yellow.

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #64 on: 26 Mar 2014, 03:51 pm »
I'm reading this thread and man, this sounds perfect for us (Skiing Ninja Systems). Those of you here that know of us know that we have expertise in all the areas needed to make this work - and I love that Danny stays in the business doing what he does best and what he loves - rare indeed.

To make this happen, we will need capital of course.  I'm thinking crowdfunding with indiegogo.com. They love this sort of thing there and I've seen several audio companies do very well (check out Geek Pulse's near 1.2M funding!).

So, would you all support such an endeavour?  It should be a win for Danny, you, and us.

What perks would you like to see?  :)

The Ninja & Mrs. Ninja
Sean & Sarah Ries

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #65 on: 26 Mar 2014, 05:04 pm »
How about discounts on parts for funders?

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #66 on: 26 Mar 2014, 05:06 pm »
Great idea Hank.  Sounds good to me...

Skiman

« Reply #67 on: 26 Mar 2014, 06:10 pm »
Danny's business, at least as I see it, has been primarily based on selling kits based on his designs. While this has apparently been successful, offering finished speakers would open up a potentially much larger market. I think a partnership with Outofthewoods would be a natural. A room at RMAF using Danny's friends' gear would really kick it off.

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #68 on: 26 Mar 2014, 06:41 pm »
A meeting with Ruben has already been scheduled :)

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #69 on: 26 Mar 2014, 06:49 pm »
Keep us informed. There are probably others like me who may be interested but have no clue as to how something like this works or how to participate.

Mike

soundofrockets

« Reply #70 on: 26 Mar 2014, 07:02 pm »
i like the idea.  keep me posted !!!!

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #71 on: 26 Mar 2014, 07:04 pm »
No worries.  I'll keep the community informed!

Keep us informed. There are probably others like me who may be interested but have no clue as to how something like this works or how to participate.

Mike

Skiman

« Reply #72 on: 26 Mar 2014, 07:36 pm »
Crowdfunding according to Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowdfunding

cujobob

« Reply #73 on: 26 Mar 2014, 10:39 pm »
Sean. Dude. Sweet. There would be no better person to carry this on. I hope Danny continues to design inexpensive options only available via GR.

brother love

« Reply #74 on: 26 Mar 2014, 10:49 pm »
Sean. Dude. Sweet. There would be no better person to carry this on. I hope Danny continues to design inexpensive options only available via GR.

+1.  I have conducted business with both Skiing Ninja & GR Research, and would do so again.

Danny and Sean are class acts, and they both have a passion for great "bang for the buck" improved sound.

Being able to take Danny's impressive speaker line kits, and also offer them as assembled speakers would be a natural progression with Sean's skills.  I hope it works out !

stu

« Reply #75 on: 27 Mar 2014, 12:55 am »
Sean, you were the first person that came to my mind when Danny first posted this. I was hoping that you were interested, since you have the knowledge and expertise to continue this operation. I am really glad you are interested, and I would be willing to donate. Good luck Sean!

Mark Chaffin

SoCalWJS

« Reply #76 on: 27 Mar 2014, 01:05 am »
Good luck Sean! I will watch this thread (or any other that involves it) to see what is going on. Hope that something can be worked out.

Danny designing, Reuben doing cabinetry (for those interested), and you handling things (with possible crossover upgrades/modifications)??????

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Cheeseboy

« Reply #77 on: 27 Mar 2014, 02:26 am »
I like this more and more. Three AC Friendly experts.  Bring on the investment phase.  I can already read the Mrs Ninja product descriptions.

Oscillate

« Reply #78 on: 27 Mar 2014, 04:55 am »
Moderators, if this post is inappropriate then please it

"...offering finished speakers would open up a potentially much larger market."

Yes but... that comes with it's own downsides Unless you would be building
each speaker to order with reasonable lead times. I think that a large part of
why many of us are here is because GR Research is different from most other
audio companies. Danny gives DIY'ers a slice of high-end at an affordable cost.
That he shares truely useful knowledge quite openly is priceless. I feel that
making available flat-packs for most of GR Research's designs might be a
less risky investment and be more inline with Danny's current business model?
A question for Danny and the builders: Has previous runs of flat-packs been
worthwhile?

Folsom

« Reply #79 on: 27 Mar 2014, 05:33 am »
Moderators, if this post is inappropriate then please it

"...offering finished speakers would open up a potentially much larger market."

Yes but... that comes with it's own downsides Unless you would be building
each speaker to order with reasonable lead times. I think that a large part of
why many of us are here is because GR Research is different from most other
audio companies. Danny gives DIY'ers a slice of high-end at an affordable cost.
That he shares truely useful knowledge quite openly is priceless. I feel that
making available flat-packs for most of GR Research's designs might be a
less risky investment and be more inline with Danny's current business model?
A question for Danny and the builders: Has previous runs of flat-packs been
worthwhile?

If you guys have built speakers, then you know the interest in lower dollar ones, as far as your time, isn't that practical. It doesn't take that much more time for large speakers than it does bookshelves once you got production operations going, yet the bookshelves aren't worth nearly as much. Here's the thing, whether or not it's in a price range everyone wants, it's going to be something Danny's mind deliberately cooked up with a lot of intention after years of compromise with other companies completed speakers. And yet you won't ever be able to say there isn't serious quality and intention behind the kits.

Too much merger in business tends to dilute some aspects. Danny's been at the fore front of offering maybe the best DIY kits for quality and service, for a lot of years. He hasn't been fooling around with dependency on others. A lot of young business minds are interested in dependencies, but I got to tell you where I live is RIPE with it. What I can also tell you is that it doesn't pull as much weight as things people straight up want. There's idea appeal, and there's money actually spent; they're not the same thing. A great example is community anything shops/studios, if there isn't a very large backer that wants it to simply exist, then it won't. We're over-burden with ideas and things to do anymore, but what we actually spend money on and do reflects a better picture than what we tend to say. That being said I think some of you might be under-crediting the community on AudioCircle, because no matter how good of a contributor Danny is, not even he would be encouraged to do so if the patronage was a headache.

The flat packs are great, utterly unbeatable at the price! Perhaps having them built into the website would be very nice. That being said, what kind of technology might be employed in the future to change all of this? That question I love.