Bryston Loudspeakers

mrhyfy

Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #2300 on: 17 Oct 2015, 09:37 pm »
Yours is one of many excellent customer service stories regarding Bryston.

What I'm curious about is that if Ivan (dealer) and James and Gary (Bryston) all had no hesitation in agreeing with your assessment on the flaws, how is it that they got past quality control inspection?  One would assume that at least three pairs of eyeballs were on them from veneering to finishing to packing.  Are the custom orders drop shipped from Axiom without any Bryston inspection?

Steve

+1 ... not a usual Bryston quality story :oops: :oops:, the exception Bryston service  is typical  :thumb:.

Rod_S

« Reply #2301 on: 17 Oct 2015, 10:02 pm »
... how is it that they got past quality control inspection?  One would assume that at least three pairs of eyeballs were on them from veneering to finishing to packing.  Are the custom orders drop shipped from Axiom without any Bryston inspection?

Steve

Indeed, curious about this as well.

It's a great story and testament to Bryston's customer service.

Mag

« Reply #2302 on: 17 Oct 2015, 10:03 pm »
Yours is one of many excellent customer service stories regarding Bryston.

What I'm curious about is that if Ivan (dealer) and James and Gary (Bryston) all had no hesitation in agreeing with your assessment on the flaws, how is it that they got past quality control inspection?  One would assume that at least three pairs of eyeballs were on them from veneering to finishing to packing.  Are the custom orders drop shipped from Axiom without any Bryston inspection?

Steve

I can envision the speakers were in production on a Friday just before a long weekend, so everything was rushed. Five o'clock buzzer sounded and the employees couldn't get out of the parking lot fast enough. :lol:

Rod_S

« Reply #2303 on: 17 Oct 2015, 10:04 pm »
I'll let James chime in with details, but they are boxed up in the Axiom factory after Axiom does a QA. This pair obviously slipped through the cracks.

If that's the case Axiom needs a stern talking to.

Ron D

« Reply #2304 on: 17 Oct 2015, 10:14 pm »
QC issues happen. My issue was nowhere near as severe.

One of the threaded spike sleeves on my Middle Ts didn't work well at all. Tried all 8 spikes and not one would go in easily. The remaining 7 threads were just fine. I couldn't envision repacking the speaker up and arranging for (even if I didn't have to pay for it) transfer back to Axiom and then wait for its or a replacement returned to me.

A pair of vice grips solved the problem.

scirica

« Reply #2305 on: 18 Oct 2015, 03:39 pm »
Also, this could all be psychacoustics, but I truly believe this set of Model T's sound better than the retuned pair. Maybe that's just because they were touched by the Hand of Go...errr, James Tanner!  :icon_lol:

gene9p

« Reply #2306 on: 19 Oct 2015, 01:55 pm »
QC issues happen. My issue was nowhere near as severe.

One of the threaded spike sleeves on my Middle Ts didn't work well at all. Tried all 8 spikes and not one would go in easily. The remaining 7 threads were just fine. I couldn't envision repacking the speaker up and arranging for (even if I didn't have to pay for it) transfer back to Axiom and then wait for its or a replacement returned to me.

A pair of vice grips solved the problem.

same with my Mini T's..a little wd-40 did the trick

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #2307 on: 20 Oct 2015, 09:09 pm »
I'll let James chime in with details, but they are boxed up in the Axiom factory after Axiom does a QA. This pair obviously slipped through the cracks.

I've seen it before, where especially with loudspeakers they pass final inspection, then are boxed for the warehouse or shipment to the customer.

The problem arises in the boxing; whether it's a change in humidity or temperature, or just one of those things, but the plastic wrap or other boxing components ... styrofoam, cardboard, etc. ... generate a problem when in contact with the speakers. They get shipped and don't reflect the pre-boxing condition upon unboxing.

It's important that the manufacturer is contacted, which is the case here, since the problem is usually easily addressed by a change in procedure, maybe as small as waiting an hour or two longer before factory packing.

mrhyfy

« Reply #2308 on: 20 Oct 2015, 09:16 pm »
I've seen it before, where especially with loudspeakers they pass final inspection, then are boxed for the warehouse or shipment to the customer.

The problem arises in the boxing; whether it's a change in humidity or temperature, or just one of those things, but the plastic wrap or other boxing components ... styrofoam, cardboard, etc. ... generate a problem when in contact with the speakers. They get shipped and don't reflect the pre-boxing condition upon unboxing.

It's important that the manufacturer is contacted, which is the case here, since the problem is usually easily addressed by a change in procedure, maybe as small as waiting an hour or two longer before factory packing.

Do we know it was a packing/shipping issue??    I didn't read that.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2309 on: 20 Oct 2015, 10:36 pm »

Do we know it was a packing/shipping issue??    I didn't read that.

Yes it was a finish issue where one speaker was very smooth to the touch and the other was rougher.  It looked OK but you could feel the difference with your hand.

james

scirica

« Reply #2310 on: 21 Oct 2015, 01:53 am »
Yes it was a finish issue where one speaker was very smooth to the touch and the other was rougher.  It looked OK but you could feel the difference with your hand.

james

But James can attest that the new pair are beautiful!! He gave them the rub test as well as the ear test. What a treat to have hm in my home!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2311 on: 26 Oct 2015, 12:00 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston A3 Speaker Review in Malaysia

October 2015

Hi Folks,

Please see attached a PDF on a recent review we received from a magazine in Malaysia on the Bryston A3 Loudspeakers.

FAVOURITE QUOTES:

1.   What stands out with these speakers is their ability to deliver detail with such balance and precision that the listener can not only hear everything, but feel everything being put out through the music. 

2.   These speakers convey an engaging performance that is dynamic yet subtle, and able to shift from quiet to busy without breaking a sweat.

3.   You will be impressed!”

I have a full PDF available if you wish the complete version – jamestanner@bryston.com

James Tanner
Bryston

scirica

« Reply #2312 on: 26 Oct 2015, 01:45 pm »
Congrats on another great review James!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2313 on: 26 Oct 2015, 02:38 pm »
Congrats on another great review James!

Thanks - it appears that the speaker is making inroads world wide  :thumb:

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2314 on: 4 Nov 2015, 07:49 pm »
Hi Folks,

Review on the Bryston Mini A speaker from Poland – (English Translation)

http://www.stereolifemagazine.com/reviews/item/1116-bryston-mini-a

James Tanner
Bryston Ltd.

gene9p

« Reply #2315 on: 4 Nov 2015, 10:38 pm »
interesting how I also found that the Mini A speakers were sensitive to cables. Nowhere near as expensive as the reviewer's but my Turntable was mediocre at best to excellent just by a change of audio art rca's to  audioquest diamondbacks. The audio arts are a much higher end cable but did not work at all with the Mini A's.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2316 on: 5 Nov 2015, 08:05 pm »
Loving my system!

Model T's and 7B's

Shane

Rod_S

« Reply #2317 on: 5 Nov 2015, 08:12 pm »
Very nice James, super clean and tidy  :thumb:

What's all the other gear in the racks?

All these pics popping up lately of the 7's are killing me :) I wish me and my dealer could have come to an agreement on price

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2318 on: 9 Nov 2015, 10:03 am »
Hey James

Hope you’re doing well. here’s a pic for ya!  After one year, my Mini T's are turning a nice rich color…and the sound keeps getting better!

I’m batchin’ it for a few weeks.  it’s amazing what speaker placements come to mind when there’s nobody else around! The Mini T’s are facing the kitchen - cranking some Mark Knopfler (again!). have you heard the new “Tracker” album yet? very well recorded. the cymbols on “laughs and drinks and smokes” are sweet.

I’m loving my ALL Bryston setup James.  (well, except for an old Carver CD player I bought in Fredericton back in 1994.  Oh, and i hear you are working on a new CD player…exciting !

Hey, at the Vancouver audio show last summer, we chatted a little about Oscar Peterson. I am shamefully short of any Oscar recordings - what would you recommend as a few of his better recordings?

All the best,

Terry
Smithers, BC.

Starchild

• Free your mind and your behind will follow!
« Reply #2319 on: 9 Nov 2015, 11:36 am »
Hey James

Hope you’re doing well. here’s a pic for ya!  After one year, my Mini T's are turning a nice rich color…and the sound keeps getting better!

I’m batchin’ it for a few weeks.  it’s amazing what speaker placements come to mind when there’s nobody else around! The Mini T’s are facing the kitchen - cranking some Mark Knopfler (again!). have you heard the new “Tracker” album yet? very well recorded. the cymbols on “laughs and drinks and smokes” are sweet.

I’m loving my ALL Bryston setup James.  (well, except for an old Carver CD player I bought in Fredericton back in 1994.  Oh, and i hear you are working on a new CD player…exciting !

Hey, at the Vancouver audio show last summer, we chatted a little about Oscar Peterson. I am shamefully short of any Oscar recordings - what would you recommend as a few of his better recordings?

All the best,

Terry
Smithers, BC.

Hi James,

So what Oscar Peterson records did you recommend to him?  The choices are near infinite.  Some ofd my favorites to name a few are:

Night Train Samples
We Get Requests Samples
Very Tall - Samples
Louis Armstrong Meets Oscar Peterson - Samples
Count Basie Encounters Oscar Peterson - Samples
Ain't But a Few of Us Left - Samples
The Very Tall Band: Live at the Blue Note - Samples

I kind of got carried away but Oscar does that to you.  IMHO, these will make a nice Oscar Peterson foundation for him.

Mike