Bryston Loudspeakers

tomsenko

Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #2020 on: 8 Apr 2015, 04:00 pm »
James,
Do you know if any Bryston speakers are going to be displayed in the upcoming Munich High End show in May?
Regards,
Toms

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2021 on: 8 Apr 2015, 04:08 pm »
James,
Do you know if any Bryston speakers are going to be displayed in the upcoming Munich High End show in May?
Regards,
Toms

Yes I think the Model T's and the Mini T's and my hope is a pair of Middle T's

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2022 on: 9 Apr 2015, 07:06 pm »
Hi Folks - Sneak Peak - review coming in Tone Magazine

James, hello.

I have to tell you, my room has never sounded this good. The Mini T's are on very good SoundAnchor stands (of course, the dedicated stands might even be better) and I am using exceptionally high quality amps, preamps, DACs, and cables with the T, and I'm just astonished how deep the room sounds, and my room is small.

I am not big on soundstage "width". I prefer depth, and I think this quality is what makes speakers supposedly "disappear". The T really is virtually not there..the music just seems to float free of boundaries. Another factor is they are basically distortion free, the kind of micro level distortion that you don't notice is there until it is gone.

This is a superb product. The only tweak I did was to use Anti Cable jumpers.

Cheers.

Andre

Thanks Andre

Yes the off-axis smooth response on the Bryston speakers was something we worked really hard on. Most speakers look good on and off axis over a plus/minus 15 degree window but my goal was plus or minus 75 degrees. Also when you listen to a speaker in a room you are not listening to the on axis near field response - you are listening to the POWER RESPONSE - which is all the energy from the front of the speaker mixed in with all the reflections throughout the room.  So if those early off axis reflections are similar to  the on axis frequency response your brain preserves it as a sense of space and openness with excellent tonal balance - stop me please - I'm rambling!

Also Andre as you have noticed (very low distortion) my first speakers were Corner Horns and I always remember how dynamic they sounded.  I wanted the Bryston speaker to provide real world dynamics without the dynamic compression most speakers suffer from.

Attached are the on and off axis response of a typical Bryston speaker - one is 0, 15 and 30 degree measurement but the one I am most proud of is the 45, 60 and 75 degree measurements.

James

95Dyna

« Reply #2023 on: 9 Apr 2015, 07:41 pm »
Hi James,

Congrats on all the Kudos the speakers are getting in Montreal and elsewhere.  Are the Mini T's above the Boston Cherry or the Rosewood finish.  I have the hardest time telling them apart from website pics.

Thanks!

maplegrovemusic

• Please Be kind to your ears .... Treat your room
« Reply #2024 on: 9 Apr 2015, 08:06 pm »
Are there any similarities between the Axiom speakers and Bryston ? They look similar with two tweeters on some models .

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2025 on: 9 Apr 2015, 09:08 pm »
Hi James,

Congrats on all the Kudos the speakers are getting in Montreal and elsewhere.  Are the Mini T's above the Boston Cherry or the Rosewood finish.  I have the hardest time telling them apart from website pics.

Thanks!

Thanks - those are the Walnut finish

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2026 on: 9 Apr 2015, 09:10 pm »
Are there any similarities between the Axiom speakers and Bryston ? They look similar with two tweeters on some models .

Hi

No similarities with the Bryston T Series and some similarities with the A Series.  I used the Axiom facilities and expertise to develop all our speakers.

james

Beatlebum

« Reply #2027 on: 10 Apr 2015, 12:58 pm »
Hello James,

What is the ideal/recommended height of the tweeter? Previous speakers that I have owned have recommended that your ear level be at the elevation of the area between the tweeter and the mid woofer. I have some 18" stands now but that would put the tweeter at 40" off the floor. In my current listening chair my ears are around 36" off the floor.

Regards,

Tim

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2028 on: 10 Apr 2015, 02:22 pm »
Hello James,

What is the ideal/recommended height of the tweeter? Previous speakers that I have owned have recommended that your ear level be at the elevation of the area between the tweeter and the mid woofer. I have some 18" stands now but that would put the tweeter at 40" off the floor. In my current listening chair my ears are around 36" off the floor.

Regards,

Tim

Hi Tim

It is really not that critical with our speakers as the dispersion pattern is very wide and even in both the verticle and horizontal directions.  Once you more back to a typical listening position the drivers integrate very well - think of our speakers as a huge flood light rather than a spotlight.

What you have to remember is when you listen to a speaker in a room you are not listening to the on axis near field response - you are listening to the SOUND POWER RESPONSE - which is all the energy from the front of the speaker mixed in with all the reflections throughout the room. 

I have my Mini T's at home and at shows on 24 inch stands because I like a higher soundstage presentation but anywhere from 18 inches to 24 inches I think would work well with the Mini T's.

Hope this helps.

james

gene9p

« Reply #2029 on: 10 Apr 2015, 02:51 pm »
My Mini A's have a new home.Really enjoyed my time with them. Decision time. Try a pair of the A3's or order a new pair of mini A's in Walnut veneer. How would you compare the two other than the obvious size?

A lot also depends on the New York Rangers LOL. I am a season tickets holder and the cost of the playoff tickets and how far they go is pretty high. I can only imagine the audio gear I would own if not for my hockey addiction.   :roll:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2030 on: 10 Apr 2015, 03:23 pm »
My Mini A's have a new home.Really enjoyed my time with them. Decision time. Try a pair of the A3's or order a new pair of mini A's in Walnut veneer. How would you compare the two other than the obvious size?

A lot also depends on the New York Rangers LOL. I am a season tickets holder and the cost of the playoff tickets and how far they go is pretty high. I can only imagine the audio gear I would own if not for my hockey addiction.   :roll:

Hi Gene

The A3 has a different midrange and 2 woofers and will play much louder and of course is a floor standing tower speaker rather than needing a stand.

james

gene9p

« Reply #2031 on: 10 Apr 2015, 03:35 pm »
hi James,

do they sound good at low levels..I live in an apt if you remember my photos of my set up here. Are they as detailed as the mini A's?Hard to find reviews of the A3's. Last floor standers were my Snell EIV V2 about 12 years ago and have been living with monitors ever since.

thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2032 on: 10 Apr 2015, 03:39 pm »
hi James,

do they sound good at low levels..I live in an apt if you remember my photos of my set up here. Are they as detailed as the mini A's?Hard to find reviews of the A3's. Last floor standers were my Snell EIV V2 about 12 years ago and have been living with monitors ever since.

thanks

Yes they sound great at low levels. There have not been a lot of reviews on the A Series but that is starting to change due to the serious interest and reviews on the Mini A.  There is a review due out soon on the A2's from a prominent N.A. magazine and the reviewer tells me his listening panel guessed between $8,000 and $12,000 a pair during the audition. :thumb:

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2033 on: 10 Apr 2015, 04:07 pm »
Today at 11:16

Hi Folks,

Had to edit do to spell correction.. But here we go again.

Well.....almost 5 month living with My Bryston mini T's: A real speaker,that sound the way I like! These speakers do set a standard! And a high one! Kind of analog to 70's cars with all today updates and features yet without disturbing the feel of a real car.

They swing and groove, rock and blues, Tump Tump just as walk in the park. Never fatigue and always fun. Big sound stage the way I like...genius crossover points pick by Bryston IMHO.

Regarding the Mini's as a name starter...Hmm I'll Just say that as long as we add after the T's the letters "trannosaurus Dot Rex" then the Mini become more in context :)

So...I grabbed a new second pair (of Mini.T.rex lol) For the other listening room setup. What a performers...standard on their own.

Cheers All,
Itshak Vodzilovsky
Israel

gene9p

« Reply #2034 on: 10 Apr 2015, 09:29 pm »
James,

Mini T vs A3.....I see someone has an add for a pair of Mini t's in Walnut....how would you rate them vs the A3 towers? The A3's would be from a dealer the mini t's from an owner rated 10 as new

thanks

Gene

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2035 on: 10 Apr 2015, 09:39 pm »
James,

Mini T vs A3.....I see someone has an add for a pair of Mini t's in Walnut....how would you rate them vs the A3 towers? The A3's would be from a dealer the mini t's from an owner rated 10 as new

thanks

Gene

Hi Gene

The Mini T's use a 8 inch woofer so it will go a bit lower and of course you need quality stands.  I guess it would depend on price as the A3 uses the same Mid and Tweeter as the Mini T. 

Make sure all is OK with the Walnuts as far as cosmetics etc.  - email me the serial numbers before you commit so I can check out the history for warranty.

Can you give me the link to the Walnut for sale - jamestanner@bryston.com

james

gene9p

« Reply #2036 on: 10 Apr 2015, 10:07 pm »
sent.... :D

dallyd31

« Reply #2037 on: 11 Apr 2015, 01:27 am »
Hi James

I listed to the Middle T today at a local dealer and was very impressed.  I know you were using, and involved with, PMC at one point.  How would you say the Bryston line compare.  I thought they sounded in he same tonal "family" ( which is a good thing)only with some improvements in the low end (even though the PMC are very good in the lows)

I'm seriously considering flipping my OB1i for the middle T

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2038 on: 11 Apr 2015, 09:51 am »
Hi James

I listed to the Middle T today at a local dealer and was very impressed.  I know you were using, and involved with, PMC at one point.  How would you say the Bryston line compare.  I thought they sounded in he same tonal "family" ( which is a good thing)only with some improvements in the low end (even though the PMC are very good in the lows)

I'm seriously considering flipping my OB1i for the middle T

HI Daily

PMC makes great speakers and in 'fact' (no pun intended) I had a pair of IB2 modified to Active using our 10B crossover and Bryston amplifiers as a reference for a number of years.  The one area that PMC taught me about speakers is you could develop a speaker that could be subtle when needed and resolve low level detail but could also kick ass when needed without compression.

I feel the Bryston speakers have this similar ability but I think we have been able to accomplish it at a much lower price point which makes our speakers much more affordable for many more customers without compromising performance.

james

PS - where did you hear the Middles?

dallyd31

« Reply #2039 on: 11 Apr 2015, 01:10 pm »
I live in Peterborough but I listened to them at Whitby Audio.  I have dealt with them on several occasions.  Great folks to deal with.  I took my  PMC a OB1i in to compare side by side ( and seeing as I have a 4Bsst2' BDA 1 and BP17 I could audition with exactly what I have at home)   I was quite impressed with the middle T.  Although I thought the PMC may have done a few things better, I think the overall package in the Middle was better.   They beat the more expensive Monitor Audio and beat the heck out of the much more expensive Focal Electra
I was impressed and pleasantly surprised

Now....a decision to make !