Sneak peak on Model T review

james

Heres the link:
ftp://ftp.bryston.com/pub/brochures/Bryston_Model_T_Feb_2015.pdf
« Last Edit: 2 Feb 2015, 05:35 pm by James Tanner »

95Dyna

Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #1941 on: 2 Feb 2015, 09:06 pm »
James:  Seriously considering my next speaker upgrade for my living room system that is currently running Focal Aria 948's.  Focal 1038BE's would be the natural "step up" from the Arias, but the Model T's are getting such rave reviews that I am really wanting to hear them.  And of course they are right in the same price range (thinking Passive Signature T's).

My problem is there appear to be no dealers in North Texas and the only dealer in Texas is in Austin (4 hour drive).  What do you suggest for those of us really wanting to audition the Bryston but faced with a limited dealer network?  Any thoughs about finding a dealer in the Dallas (DFW) area?

Hi scririca,

I have had the good fortune to audition both the 1038 BE's and the Model T Passive (internal x-over).  When I first listened to the Focals I was really impressed with their top to bottom coherence, crystal clear highs, three dimensional soundstage and imaging.  They shot right to the top of my list at the time.  I didn't have them on my list when I went to audition the ML Summit X and Montis.  I think the salesman sensed I wasn't warming up to either when he rolled out the 1038's and suggested I give them a listen. 

Currently owning a pair of Infinity 9 Kappas which each sport a pair of 12" woofers and a mid bass driver I had a lingering concern about their overall bass performance although the bass they did play was rock solid and musical they were missing that tactile dimension I've come to know and love with the Infinity's.  I also was concerned about the sharpness of leading edges in some familiar recordings.  I've always used the first 14 notes of the second movement of Beethoven's 7th Symphony as my benchmark for this and Focals did not measure up to the Infinitys here.  You know how when you consider new speakers you are looking to improve on some areas but don't want to lose what you like in the bargain.

Anyway, The Model T's I found to keep pace with the aforementioned items I liked about the 1038's but were noticeably superior in my two areas of concern.  Also worthy of note is that I was able to A/B the Model T's against none other than the Revel Salon2's.  I won't say the Model T's do everything as well as the Salons but they do some things as well and hold their own very well overall at about 40% of the price.

BTW, I think the 1038's retail at around $13K and the T-Sigs even with three good pairs of crossover cables and XL outriggers will come in a couple $K less.

Hope this helps.

Bill

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1942 on: 9 Feb 2015, 06:32 pm »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1943 on: 10 Feb 2015, 07:10 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston Mini A Bookshelf Speaker  Show Demo

February 2015

Hi James,

The NORDDEUTSCHE HIFI DAYS 2015 Show in Hamburg was great, only 2 days, but especially on Saturday totally full of visitors. And we had just fantastic feedback on Bryston Mini-A speakers which we played with B60 and B135.

The last day before show ends one visitor (who visited us several times with friend during the day) came and asked if he can buy speakers on the show and take with him.

This is great and very unusual in Europe to sell equipment at an audio show.

Also today one reviewer of one important German magazine called us that he would like to test the  Bryston Mini A based on what he heard at the show!

Best regards,
Edvard
Email: edvard.potisk@avitech.at

gene9p

« Reply #1944 on: 10 Feb 2015, 09:30 pm »
I am tempted to try the Mini A's..AA has a demo pair for sale. Don't know how they will compare to my beautiful B&W 805 sigs in red birdseye. I am using a Parasound JC2 pre amp and a Parasound Halo A52 amp at 125 per channel.

Any thoughts?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1945 on: 10 Feb 2015, 09:39 pm »
I am tempted to try the Mini A's..AA has a demo pair for sale. Don't know how they will compare to my beautiful B&W 805 sigs in red birdseye. I am using a Parasound JC2 pre amp and a Parasound Halo A52 amp at 125 per channel.

Any thoughts?

Hi Gene

It looks like you would have enough power so that should not be an issue.  Would be a good comparison. 

We have 2 more reviews currently in the works with the Mini A's coming this month which are also superb from what my spies tell me  :thumb:

james

gene9p

« Reply #1946 on: 10 Feb 2015, 11:34 pm »
placed the order through Tim at AA.......... :D

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1947 on: 11 Feb 2015, 12:21 am »
placed the order through Tim at AA.......... :D

Great = looking forward to your feedback - can you post a picture of your current setup?

james

gene9p

« Reply #1948 on: 11 Feb 2015, 05:20 pm »
here's a few photos of current setup

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1949 on: 11 Feb 2015, 06:22 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston Mini T Speaker – Editors Choice Award

February 2015

I am pleased to announce that the Bryston Mini T loudspeakers has received a 2015 Editors Choice Award from Absolute Sound Magazine.

The Bryston MINI T speaker was chosen in the category: “BEST AUDIO GEAR of 2015” !

Here’s what they had to say:

BRYSTON MINI T:

“Bryston’s foray into loudspeakers addresses the perfectly reasonable question that if ruler-flat frequency response is expected from electronics, why shouldn’t the same be expected from loudspeakers? More the product of careful development than the application of wonder materials.

The Mini T proved to be the best-measuring loudspeaker RD has yet experienced-as well as a sonic standout, having the rare ability to recreate the cues that make music sound live.”

Ron Doering
Absolute Sound Magazine

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1950 on: 11 Feb 2015, 06:26 pm »
here's a few photos of current setup

Nice setup!

james

gene9p

« Reply #1951 on: 11 Feb 2015, 11:13 pm »
noooooooooooo...one of the speakers turns out to be damaged.....they are offering me a great deal to take them..but...

can it be fixed?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1952 on: 11 Feb 2015, 11:42 pm »
I think I would have to replace the cabinets.

Who would treat speakers that way?

James

gene9p

« Reply #1953 on: 12 Feb 2015, 12:00 am »
yeah...glad they called before shipping them.....besides the great offer to take these, they offered to replace speakers with a new pair at demo price. They are great in that store. Perhaps they will let me audition these and if I feel Mini A's are keepers, exchange them for a new pair. The demos are vinyl but I would order a wood finish. I would gladly pay shipping fees to try them out. Otherwise I may never hear a Bryston speaker.  :|

gene9p

« Reply #1954 on: 13 Feb 2015, 05:08 pm »
I am having the speakers shipped to me to demo.Afterwards I will be offering them for sale here for someone else to try b4 returning them. These might serve well for others to try a Bryston speaker where listening and seeing them is impossible as it is here in NY.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1955 on: 13 Feb 2015, 05:13 pm »
I am having the speakers shipped to me to demo.Afterwards I will be offering them for sale here for someone else to try b4 returning them. These might serve well for others to try a Bryston speaker where listening and seeing them is impossible as it is here in NY.

Hi

So are you getting the damaged pair?

james

gene9p

« Reply #1956 on: 13 Feb 2015, 11:08 pm »
yes at a nice discount and I can return them no problem......but I will try to sell them here discounted if anyone wants them to demo.If not and I decide the mini A's keepers, I will exchange for a new pair in a nice wood finish. It is only the one speaker that has the damage. The other is in perfect condition.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1957 on: 13 Feb 2015, 11:56 pm »
yes at a nice discount and I can return them no problem......but I will try to sell them here discounted if anyone wants them to demo.If not and I decide the mini A's keepers, I will exchange for a new pair in a nice wood finish. It is only the one speaker that has the damage. The other is in perfect condition.

Ok thanks - I will be very interested in your assessment.

James

gene9p

« Reply #1958 on: 17 Feb 2015, 11:29 pm »
speakers arrived today..damage to the one speaker looked worse in photos. I set them up on the B&W stands and left them running for 5 hours b4 I got home with the XM radio Coffee House Station. For the last couple of hours I played a bunch LP's , and cd's. They need quite a bit of break in time so I won't comment on pluses and minuses for a while yet. I have been concentrating on placement and right now I have settled on facing straight ahead, 15 inches from the back of the speakers to the wall and 92 inches separating the speakers from center to center. The vinyl cherry looks really good and they feel heavier than the reported weight.

electronics:

Parasound JC2
Parasound Halo A52
Krell dvd as cd transport
Bryston BDA1
Rega p3-24 with Exact cartridge and TTPSU
Cambridge Azur 540 phone preamp
Marantz 8003 pre amp processor

Cables, mostly Audioquest King Cobra Balanced XLR, Audioquest Diamondback and Black Mamba

Kimber Kable 8T speaker cabling

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1959 on: 17 Feb 2015, 11:35 pm »
Hi

Please give them about 30 hours and what stands are you using?

james