Bryston Loudspeakers

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #1280 on: 13 Jun 2013, 11:44 am »

Other factors to consider are: do not place any acoustic absorption materials, on the rear wall behind your head and sit as close as possible to the rear wall (6 inches to a foot). Spread the speakers at least as far apart as you are from them, (if your 9 feet away spread the speakers at least 9 feet apart) and angle them in so they are pointing directly at you. Place acoustic absorption material in the front corners of the room can also help.

james[/b]

I use the "long wall " set-up here to excellent effect with speakers eight feet apart, two feet out from the back wall and listening position eight feet out from the speakers. Using as much toe-in as was recommended above was detrimental to the soundstage in my case - I use some toe-in but not that much. I also mounted two bass traps on the wall with a eight inch space between them directly behind where my head would be as part of a room treatment strategy devised by Brian @ GIK. It was a big improvement compared to before. So many variables to consider but in my case, I'm really happy with the final outcome - so much so that I have reservations about changing anything at this stage. I'm sure that will wear off eventually... :wink:   

D.D.

werd

« Reply #1281 on: 13 Jun 2013, 04:00 pm »
James

What do you think of using room treatments on stands as opposed to hanging on walls?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1282 on: 13 Jun 2013, 04:12 pm »
James

What do you think of using room treatments on stands as opposed to hanging on walls?

Do you mean diffusors, reflectors or absorbers?

james

werd

« Reply #1283 on: 13 Jun 2013, 04:31 pm »
Yes, but on stands thats effectively change the size of the room sonically. Picture a diffuser sitting on a stand near a speaker or placed perhaps behind the listener.  Should diffusers be used like this or should they hang on the wall only?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1284 on: 13 Jun 2013, 04:46 pm »
Yes, but on stands thats effectively change the size of the room sonically. Picture a diffuser sitting on a stand near a speaker or placed perhaps behind the listener.  Should diffusers be used like this or should they hang on the wall only?

Gee I do not know - I know in the case of bass absorbtion the closer and tighter they are to the corners the better.  With diffusion I guess it would not matter much if it was on the wall or adjacent to it ???

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1285 on: 13 Jun 2013, 05:39 pm »
To: Jamestanner@bryston.ca
Subject: Bryston Mini T speakers

Hi James

Ashley of Smith’s Audio in Lethbridge thought you would appreciate my impressions of my recently purchased Bryston Mini T speaker.

The Mini T has lots of bass. It should be a big hit with young buyers and as well with geezers like me.  In general terms I think the Mini T sounds good and so does my wife who has described it as smooth and beautiful sounding. It sounds good to me too. It has a room filling sound that does a good job of mimicking a live performance in a good way. They really rock at higher than usual volumes. Tom Petty and ZZ Top. Wow! Classical music never sounds strained either.  Vivaldi! Smooth as silk!  I’m glad I made the purchase.   

In terms of appearance the Mini T’s looks great with the rosewood finish. The covers are the best I’ve ever had for convenience of removing and replacing.

You should know that Smith’s audio is a classy audio dealer.  Selling Bryston products through them is an asset to Bryston.   

I appreciate your “ listening “ to me.  I’m a Bryston fan and use a BCD-1, BDA-1 DAC and  BP100 Amp to drive my Mini T’s.  It’s a great combination.

Happy listening,

Tony Collins
Cranbrook, BC

Samurai7595

« Reply #1286 on: 14 Jun 2013, 05:57 pm »
James,

Is the Bryston B135-SST2 integrated amplifier powerful enough to efficiently drive the Bryston Middle T speakers in a 13' x 15' room?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1287 on: 14 Jun 2013, 06:21 pm »
James,

Is the Bryston B135-SST2 integrated amplifier powerful enough to efficiently drive the Bryston Middle T speakers in a 13' x 15' room?

Yes absolutely no issue  - I have 2 customers now using the B135 with the large Model T's  :thumb:

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1288 on: 14 Jun 2013, 06:29 pm »
Nice feedback from a potential Model T owner: :thumb:

Sent: June-14
To: sales@bryston.com
Subject: Model T Speakers

I am interested on the Bryston Model T speakers and I would like to ask you what is the MSRP for them?

I see in several webpages it is $6,500 USD, but the current quote I have is for $7,000 USD.

Thanks

Hi  Carlos   

They come in 2 versions.  The Model T with built in crossover and the Model T Signature with an external crossover.

The Model T is $6495 US a pair and the Model T Signature is $7495 US a pair in vinyl.  Wood is $1000 extra for the pair.

Do you have a PDF of the literature?

James

Subject: RE: Model T Speakers

James,

I appreciate the info.  I downloaded the PDF from your website.

I am heading down to the dealer now,  Audio Emporium, Milwaukee. I want to get these speakers ASAP.

I auditioned these speakers and they are just wonderful. They are fantastic, I was about to pull the trigger on a pair of pre owned 802 from B&W, but the T 's are fantastic

Regards.
Carlos

Samurai7595

« Reply #1289 on: 15 Jun 2013, 11:19 am »
James,

For the Bryston Middle T speakers, is there any benefits to either a bi-amp or bi-wire set-up?  If so, what would be the benefits and which is better?

Also, for driving the Middle T speakers, I'm looking at either a Bryston 4B-SST2 amp or maybe (if budget permits) a pair of Bryston 7B-SST2 amps.  I realise that the 7B-SST2 set-up is overkill for the Middle T speakers and my room is only 11' x 13'.  But would there be any benefits in going with a more powerful amp than is required?  Also, I only have one (1) 15A circuit in my listening room.  Would there be an issue with plugging in two Bryston 7B-SST2 amps to a high-end powerbar (along with the source components) via this single 15A circuit?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1290 on: 15 Jun 2013, 12:00 pm »
James,

For the Bryston Middle T speakers, is there any benefits to either a bi-amp or bi-wire set-up?  If so, what would be the benefits and which is better?

Also, for driving the Middle T speakers, I'm looking at either a Bryston 4B-SST2 amp or maybe (if budget permits) a pair of Bryston 7B-SST2 amps.  I realise that the 7B-SST2 set-up is overkill for the Middle T speakers and my room is only 11' x 13'.  But would there be any benefits in going with a more powerful amp than is required?  Also, I only have one (1) 15A circuit in my listening room.  Would there be an issue with plugging in two Bryston 7B-SST2 amps to a high-end powerbar (along with the source components) via this single 15A circuit?

Hi Sam

The 7B's would be fine on the Middle T's = more power is a much better option than too little power but the 4B would certainly be enough power as well given your room. The advantage of the 7B's would be the ability to place each amp close to each speaker and use short speaker leads and also the flexibility of moving forward if you change your room or the speakers.

As for the biwire or biamp there are differing opinions on this but the theory goes that with biwiring when an amplifier drives a load there is a EMF (electro motive force) signal created by the fact that a woofer for instance is a motor and this force affects the amplifiers output stage in a negative way.  So the distortion created by this force can get to the midrange and tweeter because they are in series with one another through the crossover.

So when you biwire you do not allow this EMF force to affect the mid/tweeter because they are separated by two sets of speaker cables and the low output impedance of the amplifiers output stage will not allow the two sets of cables to interact. 

Passive Biamping takes this one step further by replacing the one single amplifier with a second amp to drive just the mid/tweeters. Some people like this because they can choose which amp they want on which set of drivers. So if you like tubes on the tweeter and solid state on the woofer it works great.  Remember though that you are still going through the passive crossover in the speaker so the "GAIN" of the two amplifiers must be identical.  All Bryston amplifiers regardless of power output have the same gain.

Hope this helps.

james
« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2013, 01:49 pm by James Tanner »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1291 on: 15 Jun 2013, 12:10 pm »

james

Samurai7595

« Reply #1292 on: 15 Jun 2013, 01:38 pm »
Hi Sam

The 7B's would be fine on the Middle T's = more power is a much better option than too little power but the 4B would certainly be enough power as well given your room. The advantage of the 7B's would be the ability to place each amp close to each speaker and use short speaker leads and also the flexibility of moving forward if you change your room or the speakers.

As for the biwire or biamp there are differing opinions on this but the theory goes that with biwiring when an amplifier drives a load there is a EMF (electro motive force) signal created by the fact that a woofer for instance is a motor and this force affects the amplifiers output stage in a negative way.  So the distortion created by this force can get to the midrange and tweeter because they are in series with one another through the crossover.

So when you biwire you do not allow this EMF force to affect the mid/tweeter because they are separated by two sets of speaker cables and the low output impedance of the amplifiers output stage will not allow the two sets of cables to interact. 

Passive Biamping takes this one step further by replacing the one single amplifier with a second amp to drive just the mid/tweeters. Some people like this because they can choose which amp they want on which set of drivers. So if you like tubes on the tweeter and solid state on the woofer it workers great.  Remember though that you are still going through the passive crossover in the speaker so the "GAIN" of the two amplifiers must be identical.  All Bryston amplifiers regardless of power output have the same gain.

Hope this helps.

james

Thanks James!

gil99

« Reply #1293 on: 16 Jun 2013, 01:13 pm »
Hi all,

After listening to the Model T at the SSI this spring and afterwards at my dealer, I decided to pull the trigger and place my order this week for a pair of the Model T signature in rosewood.  Will have now an all Bryston system, will give you an appreciation once I received them.

Gil 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1294 on: 16 Jun 2013, 01:30 pm »
Hi all,

After listening to the Model T at the SSI this spring and afterwards at my dealer, I decided to pull the trigger and place my order this week for a pair of the Model T signature in rosewood.  Will have now an all Bryston system, will give you an appreciation once I received them.

Gil

Hi Gil

Looking forward to your feedback  :thumb:

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1295 on: 16 Jun 2013, 03:57 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers                                             
SUBJECT: Bryston Speakers

Hi Folks,

We have added all the current Bryston speaker models to the Bryston Home Page.

Available through the dropdown menu under SPEAKERS.

www.bryston.com

Samurai7595

« Reply #1296 on: 19 Jun 2013, 10:57 am »
Would the Bryston Model T passive speakers work well in a 11' x 13' room powered by a Bryston 4B-SST2 amp or would it be better to use the Bryston Middle T speakers?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1297 on: 19 Jun 2013, 11:31 am »
Would the Bryston Model T passive speakers work well in a 11' x 13' room powered by a Bryston 4B-SST2 amp or would it be better to use the Bryston Middle T speakers?

Hi Samurai

It is never easy to 'guarantee'  how a specific speaker will sound in a specific room but one of the main advantages of speakers like the Brystons,  where you have excellent on and off axis flat response (excellent sound power),  generally you can place larger speakers in a small room and not have the overload and tonal balance abnomalities that would occur in other kinds of speakers. 

This is one of my rooms 14 1/2 feet x 11 1/2 feet -  (upstairs bedroom - kids have left the roost) - and I have used all the Bryston models in this room - currently Model T Active. 

james

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #1298 on: 19 Jun 2013, 02:44 pm »

james

Hi All, just a quick note to say hello to all and thanks to James for allowing me to join the Bryston family.  I've been a big Bryston fan for many years. Having worked with Bryston for years at trade shows and elsewhere I'm pretty familiar with the gear. I'm no JT, but if I can ever help or answer questions, feel free to ask!

-Gary

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1299 on: 19 Jun 2013, 07:34 pm »
Hi Folks,

One of our best dealers... Whitby Audio installed a full Bryston surround speaker system and I thought the installation ingenuity of a pair of the mini t’s as the back speakers due to no floor space looks terrific! – see picture.

The speaker system consisted of a pair of Model T Active for the front left and right speakers, Model T Center for the center, Model T Passive for side channels and of course the mini t’s for back channels.

James