Bryston Loudspeakers

mobileusa

• Industry Participant
  • engulfaudio.com - Audio Dealer
    • engulfaudio
Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #1260 on: 11 Jun 2013, 02:11 pm »
I am a dealer located in the South. I am located in Mobile, AL if anyone would like to contact me to give a listen to the Bryston Mini Ts send a message me a pm or contact me at sales@engulfaudio.com...they are simply astounding!

The full sound, super wide sound stage, depth and clarity that you have to hear to believe. From Arman van Buuran, to Diana Krall, to ZZ Top, it handles any genre. Effortless, musical, eager to perform.

Now that you've heard my personal opinion, please contact me and I will gladly share what my ears have discovered. I'm sure you will agree once you hear them. I couldn't stop smiling. Oh, BTW, they look great too!

mobileusa

• Industry Participant
    • engulfaudio
« Reply #1261 on: 11 Jun 2013, 02:30 pm »

mav52

« Reply #1262 on: 11 Jun 2013, 06:23 pm »
I am a dealer located in the South. I am located in Mobile, AL if anyone would like to contact me to give a listen to the Bryston Mini Ts send a message me a pm or contact me at sales@engulfaudio.com...they are simply astounding!

The full sound, super wide sound stage, depth and clarity that you have to hear to believe. From Arman van Buuran, to Diana Krall, to ZZ Top, it handles any genre. Effortless, musical, eager to perform.

Now that you've heard my personal opinion, please contact me and I will gladly share what my ears have discovered. I'm sure you will agree once you hear them. I couldn't stop smiling. Oh, BTW, they look great too!

Thank you for the offer, but your a long way from Orlando and Kiawah Island SC.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1263 on: 11 Jun 2013, 07:13 pm »
The Model T is every bit as good (and then some) as you've read but the one that really gets my amps hot is the Middle T but I'll be damned if I can find a place with in a 100km to hear it.

The other two are so good I'm hoping the Middle T doesn't become an orphan.

Dave Herman

mobileusa

• Industry Participant
    • engulfaudio
« Reply #1264 on: 11 Jun 2013, 07:35 pm »
Thank you for the offer, but your a long way from Orlando and Kiawah Island SC.

My son lives in Tampa so the next visit I will send you a pm and bring them.

mav52

« Reply #1265 on: 11 Jun 2013, 08:44 pm »
My son lives in Tampa so the next visit I will send you a pm and bring them.

Just give me some lead time as I'm currently at our home in SC.   

mav52

« Reply #1266 on: 11 Jun 2013, 08:46 pm »
Hope to pick a pair up soon to compare to the 207/2 I bought from James.

Did you ever get your speakers and if so which dealer

95Dyna

« Reply #1267 on: 11 Jun 2013, 08:53 pm »
James,

Is there a dealer anywhere in the Philadelphia, Maryland, DC/Virginia, Dealaware, New Jersey area that carrys the Model T's for demo?  As my new K-05 breaks in it is creating an urgency to upgrade my speakers.  Here we go again, another case of audio ad infinitus, the financial crippler of young and old alike  :lol:.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1268 on: 11 Jun 2013, 09:08 pm »
James,

Is there a dealer anywhere in the Philadelphia, Maryland, DC/Virginia, Dealaware, New Jersey area that carrys the Model T's for demo?  As my new K-05 breaks in it is creating an urgency to upgrade my speakers.  Here we go again, another case of audio ad infinitus, the financial crippler of young and old alike  :lol:.

Wisconsin would be the closest for Model T.

james

95Dyna

« Reply #1269 on: 11 Jun 2013, 11:18 pm »
Wisconsin would be the closest for Model T.

james

Wow, I could drive to Peterborough and back in the time it would take me to get to the southeastern border of Wisky.  Guess I could pick up a cheese head hat while I'm there  :lol:  There must be a method to your madness having dealers in AL and WS and non in the northeast.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1270 on: 11 Jun 2013, 11:49 pm »
Wow, I could drive to Peterborough and back in the time it would take me to get to the southeastern border of Wisky.  Guess I could pick up a cheese head hat while I'm there  :lol:  There must be a method to your madness having dealers in AL and WS and non in the northeast.

Hi

Not really a method - just that certain dealers approached me and wanted to be dealers. Other dealers did not.

James

Samurai7595

« Reply #1271 on: 12 Jun 2013, 12:00 pm »
James,

I considering getting a pair of Bryston Middle T speakers for my 11' x 13' living room.

Since these are rear ported, how much minimum room (in inches) should be left between the reqar of the speaker and the wall behind it?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1272 on: 12 Jun 2013, 12:15 pm »
James,

I considering getting a pair of Bryston Middle T speakers for my 11' x 13' living room.

Since these are rear ported, how much minimum room (in inches) should be left between the reqar of the speaker and the wall behind it?

Hi

Based on the testing we have done about 4 inches.

James

95Dyna

« Reply #1273 on: 12 Jun 2013, 12:47 pm »
Hi

Based on the testing we have done about 4 inches.

James

James,

What would be the maximum recommended distance from rear and side walls for Model T?

BTW, I was just pullin' your chain above.  I understand the difficulties that distribution and logistics present to a business  :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1274 on: 12 Jun 2013, 01:10 pm »
James,

What would be the maximum recommended distance from rear and side walls for Model T?

BTW, I was just pullin' your chain above.  I understand the difficulties that distribution and logistics present to a business  :thumb:

Really good question :thumb: 

One of the main parameters in the design of the Bryston speakers was to have as wide and as smooth OFF AND ON AXIS frequency response as possible. The reason for that is when you get a reflection from a nearby surface as long as the reflection has a tonal balance similar to the direct on axis response it will add spaciousness and not affect the overall tonal balance in the room. If the response OFF axis is ragged it does not matter how accurate the direct on axis is the sound quality will suffer especially if placed close to a surface.  There has been a lot of research done on this and the LISTENING WINDOW and the SOUND POWER have a lot (in fact everything) to do with how a speaker will sound in a real room with normal surfaces and dimensions. 

Remember you are never listening to the direct sound specifically you are listening to the combination of the direct sound and the off axis sound striking all the surfaces in the room multiple times.

I just realized I'm rambling and did not answer your question :duh: - I would say a couple of feet from the back wall and at least 18 inches from the side wall will give you a good overall balance and soundstage presentation.

james

« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2013, 02:27 pm by James Tanner »

95Dyna

« Reply #1275 on: 12 Jun 2013, 03:16 pm »
Really good question :thumb: 

One of the main parameters in the design of the Bryston speakers was to have as wide and as smooth OFF AND ON AXIS frequency response as possible. The reason for that is when you get a reflection from a nearby surface as long as the reflection has a tonal balance similar to the direct on axis response it will add spaciousness and not affect the overall tonal balance in the room. If the response OFF axis is ragged it does not matter how accurate the direct on axis is the sound quality will suffer especially if placed close to a surface.  There has been a lot of research done on this and the LISTENING WINDOW and the SOUND POWER have a lot (in fact everything) to do with how a speaker will sound in a real room with normal surfaces and dimensions. 

Remember you are never listening to the directsound specifically you are listening to the combination of the direct sound and the off axis sound striking all the surfaces in the room multiple times.

I just realized I'm rambling and did not answer your question :duh: - I would say a couple of feet from the back wall and at least 18 inches from the side wall will give you a good overall balance and soundstage presentation.

james

Developing this further........the Audio Physic website has an excellent page on speaker placement in a room and they seem to favor firing from the long wall which would most often leave lots of empty space to the side walls.  They don't mention long wall by name but by recommending a 1:1.3 ratio between rear wall and side wall distances it would require the long wall in many rooms if you like your speakers 3-4 feet from the rear to optimize low frequency response.  I don't know if this approach is relative to the dispersion characteristics of the Audio Physic speakers or if it applies to all types of speakers.  I have used this approach for some time now with great results in my room (not Audio Physics).  All that being said,  I would be placing the Model T's 3.5' from the rear wall and 5.5' from the sides with 10' tweeter to tweeter (or I should say tweeters to tweeters  :D).  Your thoughts?

http://www.audiophysic.de/aufstellung/index_e.html

Thanks!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1276 on: 12 Jun 2013, 03:24 pm »
Developing this further........the Audio Physic website has an excellent page on speaker placement in a room and they seem to favor firing from the long wall which would most often leave lots of empty space to the side walls.  They don't mention long wall by name but by recommending a 1:1.3 ratio between rear wall and side wall distances it would require the long wall in many rooms if you like your speakers 3-4 feet from the rear to optimize low frequency response.  I don't know if this approach is relative to the dispersion characteristics of the Audio Physic speakers or if it applies to all types of speakers.  I have used this approach for some time now with great results in my room (not Audio Physics).  All that being said,  I would be placing the Model T's 3.5' from the rear wall and 5.5' from the sides with 10' tweeter to tweeter (or I should say tweeters to tweeters  :D).  Your thoughts?

http://www.audiophysic.de/aufstellung/index_e.html

Thanks!

Sounds like a great plan.  John Dunlavy was also a big advocate of using the long wall in your room as the speaker and listening wall.  I will see if I can find the white paper I did on it.  I use the long wall in my soundroom 3 with the Active Model T

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1277 on: 12 Jun 2013, 03:37 pm »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Found it :thumb:

Not Another Room Setup Suggestion

Yes, yet another room set-up for optimizing your sound room for the best possible performance. This one suggests that you consider using the short dimension of your listening room rather than the more popular long dimension.

It must be stressed that the whole point of this and the other room set-ups I have mentioned is to try and reduce the room colorations from affecting your listening environment and distracting from the fidelity of the recording. Most people do not realize how critical this "room-speaker interface" really is in attaining quality sound. The listening room is the final component in any audio system.

One of the advantages obtained with this "long dimension" arrangement is that it allows you to place the loudspeakers fairly wide apart providing a more realistic soundstage size. (Most recordings are made with the listener at the apex of an equilateral triangle.) Also, with this technique the loudspeakers are still a long way from the side walls so the early side wall reflections are lengthened (a good thing) in time. A further advantage is the reduction of comb-filtering effects present in the room. Comb filtering is defined as two sound waves interfering, one delayed in time relative to the other. Putting the listening chair near a boundary assists in reducing the comb-filter effects at low frequencies. There are still comb-filtering effects going on when sitting close to the wall but they are generally above 4 thousand cycles (which is less bothersome) rather than between 80 and 500 cycles which occur if your seated out in the room.

When you place the loudspeakers make sure the distance from the rear wall is different than the distance from the side wall. Example: if your 2 feet from the back wall be about 3 feet from the side walls, if 3 feet from the back wall then 4 feet from the side wall, etc.This helps reduce the proximity effect of the two surfaces from affecting the speaker response at low frequencies.You can have as much as a 6dB rise at some frequencies if these distances are identical. and as much as a 9dB rise if a third sure (floor) is also within this same distance.

There is one final advantage of this type of set-up which is less obvious. As we move towards multichannel sound and the need to accommodate 5 loudspeakers equal distance from the listening position using the long dimension concept more easily accommodates the rear channels distance requirement.

Other factors to consider are: do not place any acoustic absorption materials, on the rear wall behind your head and sit as close as possible to the rear wall (6 inches to a foot). Spread the speakers at least as far apart as you are from them, (if your 9 feet away spread the speakers at least 9 feet apart) and angle them in so they are pointing directly at you. Place acoustic absorption material in the front corners of the room can also help.

So hey, give it a try and see if the results warrant a total flip-flop of all the furniture, pictures and rugs in your listening room.

james

95Dyna

« Reply #1278 on: 12 Jun 2013, 05:31 pm »
Sounds like a great plan.  John Dunlavy was also a big advocate of using the long wall in your room as the speaker and listening wall.  I will see if I can find the white paper I did on it.  I use the long wall in my soundroom 3 with the Active Model T

james

Thanks James.  John was always one of my favorite speaker guys.  I wanted a pair of SC-IVa's in the worst way back in the day but couldn't overcome the WAF.  Glad to hear he was an advocate of the long wall and that the Model T's would work well in that scenario.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1279 on: 13 Jun 2013, 11:05 am »
Thanks James.  John was always one of my favorite speaker guys.  I wanted a pair of SC-IVa's in the worst way back in the day but couldn't overcome the WAF.  Glad to hear he was an advocate of the long wall and that the Model T's would work well in that scenario.

I owned a pair of the SCIVa's in the mid 90's they were superb.  :thumb:

James