Bryston Loudspeakers

FireGuy

Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #1220 on: 31 May 2013, 01:35 pm »
Quote:  "Again like I said  the demo proved how insanely good the passive Model T's are. They are the best speaker in the world for the money period".

I've yet to hear these speakers, and from what I've read (for the most part) they seem to be performing quite well.  Congrats to Bryston.   This statement however is just too accommodating IMO.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1221 on: 31 May 2013, 02:58 pm »
Hi Folks,

A number of people have asked me how the Signature Model T speaker external PASSIVE crossover hookup works.

Below is the hookup:

jkames
« Last Edit: 1 Jun 2013, 11:58 am by James Tanner »

PRELUDE

« Reply #1222 on: 31 May 2013, 03:29 pm »
Hi Folks,

A number of people have asked me how the Signature Model T speaker external PASSIVE crossover hookup works.

Below is the hookup:

jkames
Hi James,
I think it would be nice to do the same thing for the active version also because there are some folks out there that are still confused.
It would be even more beneficial if you could mark the different  options for power amps.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1223 on: 31 May 2013, 03:52 pm »
Bryston Amplifiers Options For 'Active' Model T Loudspeaker

9B SST-3-Channel  X TWO   

6B SST2 x TWO   

7B SST2 x TWO with 3B SST2 x TWO   

7B SST2 x TWO with 4B SST2 x TWO

Marius

« Reply #1224 on: 31 May 2013, 03:56 pm »
Hi James,

Thanks for this info. How would two 28b mono's hookup?
And, why would you have the external crossover have 6 inputs, while we only have two outputs on the amps? And you designed the crossover to internally connect the inputs high, mid and sub?

Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1225 on: 31 May 2013, 04:01 pm »
Hi James,

Thanks for this info. How would two 28b mono's hookup?
And, why would you have the external crossover have 6 inputs, while we only have two outputs on the amps? And you designed the crossover to internally connect the inputs high, mid and sub?

Marius

Hi marius,

What we do now is bridge the 3 sets of INPUTS ( with external links which can be removed) ) so the customer can use his current set of cables to connect to the input on the Signature crossover. Then we sell a cable kit for the Sig crossover output or the customer can use 3 sets of his own cable. 

So with the 28B's - which I use - I just have the single set of cables from the 28B to the crossover input.  Sometimes at shows I will use the 2 sets of 28B outputs.

Marius

« Reply #1226 on: 31 May 2013, 04:36 pm »
James, thank you!
Still, im a bit in limbo. Could you post a diagram of connections using 2 mono amps?

Hopin Mafico will be able to have us, me, test your active and passive T's...

Marius

Hi marius,

What we do now is bridge the 3 sets of INPUTS ( with external links which can be removed) ) so the customer can use his current set of cables to connect to the input on the Signature crossover. Then we sell a cable kit for the Sig crossover output or the customer can use 3 sets of his own cable. 

So with the 28B's - which I use - I just have the single set of cables from the 28B to the crossover input.  Sometimes at shows I will use the 2 sets of 28B outputs.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1227 on: 31 May 2013, 04:53 pm »
James, thank you!
Still, im a bit in limbo. Could you post a diagram of connections using 2 mono amps?

Hopin Mafico will be able to have us, me, test your active and passive T's...

Marius

Hi Marius,

It would hook up exactly like the Stereo amp in the diagram except two separate amplifier chassis of course.

james

« Last Edit: 1 Jun 2013, 11:56 am by James Tanner »

95Dyna

« Reply #1228 on: 31 May 2013, 07:14 pm »
Bryston Amplifiers Options For 'Active' Model T Loudspeaker

9B SST-3-Channel  X TWO   

6B SST2 x TWO   

7B SST2 x TWO with 3B SST2 x TWO   

7B SST2 x TWO with 4B SST2 x TWO

James,

How about 7B SST2 X 2 and 9B SST2 4 Channel X 1 or is that too much of a power mismatch?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1229 on: 31 May 2013, 08:04 pm »
James,

How about 7B SST2 X 2 and 9B SST2 4 Channel X 1 or is that too much of a power mismatch?

Yes that would work as well but recognize that the midrange and tweeter drivers have different impedance characteristics so the mids and tweets are higher impedances needing more power than if they were 4 ohms like the woofers.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1230 on: 31 May 2013, 10:59 pm »
Hi James

Dear God these just keep getting better, better I tells ya!

With about 50 more hours on the Model T speakers the midrange has gained transparency they now have that " in the room quality" that great speakers have. I don't think quite to the quality of the Salon2s or Avalon ISIS but those speakers while having extremely revealing mids also lack a bit of the warmth that live music has, the Model T has this "live music quality".

The Revel Salon2 have a very clinical sound that may measure well but strips music of emotion. This makes the Bryston a more involving speaker that will serve the person who actually attends live acoustic concerts more than audiophiles who favour an etched musical quality that doesn't exist in reality.
Comparing the Bryston to a three times more expensive speaker may strike one as odd but the Revel is a known quantity for many people and frankly the minimum standard that one should be comparing the Model T to.

At first the highs seemed to almost be shelved especially noticeable in cymbals and the bells  however the highs are much more apparent now  and while it's not the most refined tweeter, I prefer the ISOTAR and the KEF co-ax driver used in the Blade and LS50,  it's a very good tweeter and matches perfectly with this speaker.  The leading edge seems to be slightly favoured over the decay of cymbals.

The soundstaging is superb our room is 22x16x10 and I can get almost wall to wall, floor to ceiling soundstaging on certain tracks. The oddest thing is for speakers this large nothing really seems pinned to the speakers but seems to emanate from a 3 dimensional space.

Bass has changed the least I  am getting 20Hz about -6dB down which gives the proper underpinning for almost any music, on some organ music the last octave is somewhat diminished but this is really inconsequential as these speakers are truly full range.Bass is quick, extended and well defined.

Lastly, low level detail is quite good, one of my tests is Al Stewart's "Flying Sorcery" which has a punch-in on the second verse that is not always apparent on speakers and it's quite obvious on these. In the same cut there's a very soft keyboard wash in the second verse that many speakers tend to slight and again it's reproduced here at the proper level.

The Brystons have a coherence and rightness about them that is very rare in highly resolving speakers. Highly recommended and a must audition in their price range and much higher.

System Amps: Pass Labs X250.5 and Conrad Johnson CA-200 Integrated Amplifier, Preamp: VTL 5.5, DAC: Mytek Stereo192-DSD DAC, Cables: Various Kimber and Cardas.

Nick

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1231 on: 1 Jun 2013, 04:51 pm »
Hi Folks,

Please see below link for a new review on the Bryston Model T speaker In Soundstage Magazine. It is encouraging to see a magazine review that includes extensive objective measurements to go along with the reviewers subjective opinion.

http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/579

Please pay special attention to this link below showing the superb anechoic measurements of the Model T taken at the NRC in Ottawa.

http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=988:nrc-measurements-bryston-model-t-loudspeakers&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153

Soundstage tells me these are excellent measurements at any price point but at Bryston price points they are exceptional!  The reviewer also told me that the Model T measured better (flatter) than any other speaker he has tested in his listening room.

Regards,
James

milford3

« Reply #1232 on: 1 Jun 2013, 05:29 pm »
Excellent review.  Had to take this from the review:

After thoroughly exploring his options, Tanner enlisted speaker engineer Andrew Welker, of Canada’s Axiom Audio. Tanner knew Welker, and that Axiom is one of the few Canadian audio companies that had on-site its own anechoic chamber and the required measurement equipment for such an undertaking. Tanner, Welker, and Axiom's founder, Ian Colquhoun, worked together for two years before Tanner was satisfied enough with the results to install a prototype in his home listening room.

Great partnership with Axiom :thumb: James.  You have a real winner on your hands with the Model T.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1233 on: 1 Jun 2013, 06:18 pm »
Excellent review.  Had to take this from the review:

After thoroughly exploring his options, Tanner enlisted speaker engineer Andrew Welker, of Canada’s Axiom Audio. Tanner knew Welker, and that Axiom is one of the few Canadian audio companies that had on-site its own anechoic chamber and the required measurement equipment for such an undertaking. Tanner, Welker, and Axiom's founder, Ian Colquhoun, worked together for two years before Tanner was satisfied enough with the results to install a prototype in his home listening room.

Great partnership with Axiom :thumb: James.  You have a real winner on your hands with the Model T.

Thanks milford - certainly has been a labour of love and expanded way beyond my initial thoughts,  :thumb:

james

FireGuy

« Reply #1234 on: 1 Jun 2013, 06:45 pm »
Kudos James from Buffalo on your most successful venture.  I was fortunate enough to attend Axiom's 30th bash for their forum members (and others) and came away most impressed.  Ian, Amie, Andrew , Brent, Alan and JC welcomed us so graciously.  Got to attend a few work shops,  participate in a double-blind listening test and most important socialize with the Axiom group.  Their hospitality is just as great as their products; their manufacturing and testing resources now reach a little further.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1235 on: 1 Jun 2013, 07:23 pm »
Kudos James from Buffalo on your most successful venture.  I was fortunate enough to attend Axiom's 30th bash for their forum members (and others) and came away most impressed.  Ian, Amie, Andrew , Brent, Alan and JC welcomed us so graciously.  Got to attend a few work shops,  participate in a double-blind listening test and most important socialize with the Axiom group.  Their hospitality is just as great as their products; their manufacturing and testing resources now reach a little further.

Yes when I think about what the prices of the speakers would had to have been if I had  to do this all on my own it makes one very thankful that Ian and the group were willing to work with this wild eye guy from an electronics company  :lol:

james

Stedanko

« Reply #1236 on: 1 Jun 2013, 07:28 pm »
Andrew Welker is a very well respected and engineer who did the , Si series and the OM series at Mirage. A top notch
engineer right up there with Voecks and the late Jim Thiel.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1237 on: 1 Jun 2013, 08:26 pm »
Customer Feedback - Model T

Sent: Saturday, June 01, 2013
To: James Tanner
Subject: Re: Model T

Hi James

"Dude!  Listening to Bill Berry and His Ellington All-Stars: For Duke [M&K Realtime Records] with peaks above 105dB on my Model T’s …. not a word of a lie the BAND is here with us.

A transcendent experience from one the Hi Fi salon regulars from the 70s"

Hi There

Yes I do not think people realize how much dynamic compression their speakers have until you listen to something like the Model T.... which does not!!!

James

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #1238 on: 1 Jun 2013, 08:51 pm »
Another very impressive achievement, James. Congratulations on the new speaker line.

Any chance in the future of an HT surround speaker for wall placement, something like this?

Cheerio,

Rich

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1239 on: 1 Jun 2013, 11:51 pm »
Another very impressive achievement, James. Congratulations on the new speaker line.

Any chance in the future of an HT surround speaker for wall placement, something like this?

Cheerio,

Rich

Hi Rich - yes we have an INWALL and an ONWALL available.