James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #1100 on: 16 Mar 2013, 01:36 pm »
Bigalsworth 

Mr. Tanner,

I was able to listen to a set of passive Model T's @ Pulsworks in Saskatoon SK and they sounded ridiculously awesome!  I sat and listened to them with David Puls, the owner of the store, for about 45 minutes and he had a ton of great things to say about Bryston.

Right before I listened to the Model T's I was listening to a set of Martin Logan Ethos and in my opinion they didn't hold a candle to the Model T's. David put on "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" by Bella Fleck and Fleckstones and my jaw dropped at the bass coming out of those speakers.

I am more of a home theater fan and am building my basement at the moment, what would recommend as surrounds to match the Model T's?

Scott

Hi Scott

Well thank you for your kind comments. All the Model T products are designed to compliment each other so the rear channels can be any of the different versions of speakers depending on layout and placement restrictions.

I would recommend the mini's or the Middle Model T or Onwalls over the Inwalls for rears unless Inwalls are your only option.

james

Mag

« Reply #1101 on: 16 Mar 2013, 02:35 pm »
Bigalsworth 

Mr. Tanner,

I was able to listen to a set of passive Model T's @ Pulsworks in Saskatoon SK and they sounded ridiculously awesome!  I sat and listened to them with David Puls, the owner of the store, for about 45 minutes and he had a ton of great things to say about Bryston.

Right before I listened to the Model T's I was listening to a set of Martin Logan Ethos and in my opinion they didn't hold a candle to the Model T's. David put on "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" by Bella Fleck and Fleckstones and my jaw dropped at the bass coming out of those speakers.

I am more of a home theater fan and am building my basement at the moment, what would recommend as surrounds to match the Model T's?

Scott

I should stop by at Pulsworks for a listen. That's the thing about Dave that I like doing business there is he makes you feel welcome.

I stopped by at a new audio store on the east side. Mostly entry level gear, but nice stuff. The salesman played one song for me on a cd then shut it off. I had like an hour to kill while I was working. Maybe it was the way I look, I dress like a bum. I will never walk into that store again as that little gesture of shutting off the cd made me feel unwanted. :cry:

sfraser

« Reply #1102 on: 18 Mar 2013, 06:00 pm »
I should stop by at Pulsworks for a listen. That's the thing about Dave that I like doing business there is he makes you feel welcome.

I stopped by at a new audio store on the east side. Mostly entry level gear, but nice stuff. The salesman played one song for me on a cd then shut it off. I had like an hour to kill while I was working. Maybe it was the way I look, I dress like a bum. I will never walk into that store again as that little gesture of shutting off the cd made me feel unwanted. :cry:

But isn't it a nice feeling when they under estimate you? A few years back,  i walked into a high end jewellery shop at lunch  wearing shorts, teva's and Jimmy buffett t shirt. The staff were polite but you could tell they were not expecting much. I ended up walking out with a Rolex (paid for in cash) for my wife's 50th birthday. It was a young salesman who initially served me, but it was the store owner who shook my hand on the way out.  :lol:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1103 on: 18 Mar 2013, 07:16 pm »
Hi Folks,

Factory shot of the Bryston Model T speaker in a special Zebra Wood finish.

James

RLL1

« Reply #1104 on: 18 Mar 2013, 07:55 pm »
Hi Folks,

Factory shot of the Bryston Model T speaker in a special Zebra Wood finish.

James

Those look very nice James. Will you soon be publishing a list of available wood finish options.

Rick

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1105 on: 18 Mar 2013, 08:02 pm »
Hi Rick,

The standard stocking colours are Boston Cherry, Natural Cherry and Black Ask and now Walnut.  Rosewood has been popular but I thought something a bit more stricking might be fun to show. 

We can really do most finishes as a Special Order so no official list as such.

james

RLL1

« Reply #1106 on: 18 Mar 2013, 08:30 pm »
Hi Rick,

The standard stocking colours are Boston Cherry, Natural Cherry and Black Ask and now Walnut.  Rosewood has been popular but I thought something a bit more stricking might be fun to show. 

james

Thanks James.

Rick

joey116

« Reply #1107 on: 18 Mar 2013, 08:36 pm »
Do you have a pic. of the Model T in the standard walnut finish?
Thanks

spotlightaudio

« Reply #1108 on: 18 Mar 2013, 09:02 pm »
Hi  James,  is gloss black an option ?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1109 on: 18 Mar 2013, 10:21 pm »
Do you have a pic. of the Model T in the standard walnut finish?
Thanks

Hi Joey

No sorry I do not - we have only built them to order so far.  i am getting a couple of pair made up.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1110 on: 18 Mar 2013, 10:22 pm »
Hi  James,  is gloss black an option ?

It is but with 7 coats of paint and the labour involved the price almost doubles so I think we will leave that one alone for now.

james

joey116

« Reply #1111 on: 18 Mar 2013, 10:29 pm »
Hi Rick,

james

Thanks James, the walnut is a standard vinyl finish, is this correct?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1112 on: 18 Mar 2013, 10:32 pm »
Thanks James, the walnut is a standard vinyl finish, is this correct?

No the only walnut we have done is Wood

james

joey116

« Reply #1113 on: 18 Mar 2013, 10:35 pm »
Hi Rick,

james

Thanks for clarifying that, I thought from the first sentence that walnut had been added to the other 3 vinyl finishes.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1114 on: 18 Mar 2013, 11:03 pm »
Thanks for clarifying that, I thought from the first sentence that walnut had been added to the other 3 vinyl finishes.

Hi Joey

No I think we will just offer the original 3 in the vinyl as some finishes just suit the real wood better.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1115 on: 19 Mar 2013, 06:08 pm »
Hi Folks,

Final PDF brochure for the Bryston Home Theater Speakers

ftp://ftp.bryston.com/pub/brochures/HT_SPEAKER.pdf

James

klao

« Reply #1116 on: 24 Mar 2013, 04:03 pm »
Have the MSRP's of the Model T Sub & Mini T Sub been released, James?

Thank you.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1117 on: 26 Mar 2013, 05:48 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Customer Feedback - Bryston Model T Speakers

March 26th, 2013

To: contact@bryston.com
Subject: Bryston Model T Loudspeakers

Hello,

I heard a pair of your Model T’s today and I couldn’t believe my ears.

I’m using a pair of $28,000 SoundLabs right now and I’m considering purchasing the Model T’s!

How well do you think my Atma-Sphere MA1 tube amplifiers will power these?

Please let me know!

Thanks!!
Dave

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1118 on: 27 Mar 2013, 05:09 pm »

Bryston Model T Signature Speakers - Demo

Tue, Mar 26 2013

Spent about 2 hours, mesmerized by these wonderful Bryston speakers.

All the clarity, highs and mids that I enjoyed a couple of weeks back were still there. But this time around, the low end was really refined but still gutsy enough to give that thumping to your heart. It was really tonally balanced regardless of what music genre you play. And we really played today. Even the dealers were excited them-selfs but I was even more excited. Today, these speakers were driven by the pair of BP17 pre amp and the 4BSST2 power amp. Wired by, of course, WyWires. Source was through BDP2 and BDA2.

We threw in Dire Straits, CCR, Pink Panther theme, Metallica, Stan Getz and Gilberto, The Eagles etc....MP3, WAV, FLAC, hi res.....and the speakers just smile at us, performing its best (though can’t wait to listen to them in the AV show this year in a bigger room). We played it loud today and the bass was so refined and detail and did not muffle at all. Each bass-line and kick pedal was clear, solid with no sign of distortion. And it did not overshadow the clarity and crispiness of the mids and highs. It was goooddd !!!!

The one thing that really stood out was on the wind instrument. I think it was a clarinet playing. I can even hear the extent of the musicians breath to play those long notes.

You guys just need to experience it yourself.

El Hefe

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1119 on: 29 Mar 2013, 02:06 pm »
Hi Folks,

I am answering some questions on the Bryston Model T speaker for a magazine that is doing a review on them and thought it might help to post a  Q and A section for the Bryston Speakers.

BRYSTON MODEL T SPEAKER Q & A

Cabinet construction: materials, design, what’s happening inside?

The cabinet has a 1.5 inch thick front baffle, a vertical brace from top to bottom in the centre of the cabinet, and 12 interlocking braces front and back of the vertical brace.  All the braces are uniquely spaced so as to have no dominant resonance mode - See attached

Bass Driver construction:

The woofers use a ceramic-coated composite aluminum cone, large diameter voice coil on a high temperature fibreglass former, die cast aluminum frames, and FEA  optimized motor system.

Midrange construction: 

The midranges use a ceramic-coated composite aluminum cone, die cast aluminum frames, and FEA optimized motor system.

Why the choice to use two, and what were the challenges faced in doing so/what are the benefits? 

The dominant advantage to multiple drivers is the increased power handling and sheer SPL achievable before compression occurs; this is a big deal as even at modest levels the dynamic peaks can be very demanding.  There is also an advantage that can be achieved in the soundstage presentation if the design is done carefully.  The disadvantage would be it is much more complex to design as the interaction between all the drivers means many more on and off axis listening window and power response curves need to be looked at and worked with.

Tweeter construction:

The tweeters use a 1 inch pure titanium dome, Ferro-fluid damping/cooling, temperature stable ferrite magnets, and FEA optimized motor system.

Why the choice to use two, and what were the challenges faced in doing so/what are the benefits?

Same as above on tweeter.

Information on your relationship with Axiom, why you guys had them do the driver design, and how this speaker came to be?

I have known Ian the owner of Axiom casually for years all the way back to the days of Floyd Toole and the National Research council in Ottawa where most of the Canadian speaker companies got their start and developed their philosophies of speaker design. I was aware that speaker engineer Andrew Welker had moved to Axiom after Canadian speaker company API was purchased and called them both to ask if they would be interested in building me a reference loudspeaker for my personal use to evaluate our Bryston electronics. I knew Axiom was one of the few companies with an anechoic chamber on site and had sophisticated equipment capable of facilitating complex speaker measurement techniques.

My initial request was for a fully Active system with no performance compromises. We spent almost 2 years with a variety of versions and about 6 months ago I was happy with the results and installed the finished Active system in my sound room at home.  Long story short - distributors, dealers and friends heard them and convinced me to offer them commercially.  Given the complexity of Active systems we set about to develop Passive versions of the Model T which came very close to the performance level of the Active version. 

At that point the project just took on a life of its own as our dealers and distributors said they wanted Centers and Surrounds and Subs to match – so here we are with a complete line of Bryston loudspeakers available to our customers and a way to acquire ‘Predictable Performance” for our customers all the way from the source to the speaker.

Cross over: points and components, are these built in house?

The crossover points for the Model T are 160 Hz and 2.3 kHz.  All of the components used have been carefully selected for ultra-low distortion and the high power handling requirements of the Model T.  All the crossovers are built in-house. The Model T Signature provides an outboard ‘Passive’ crossover to allow for tri-wiring applications as well as an easy transition to a fully Active system using an external active crossover in the future.

Are all of the drivers made by Axiom? 

Yes all aspects of the drivers are designed and manufactured in our own factories.

Is there anything unique about the porting technology employed, I noticed the shape is something I have not come across before.

The air in a port is traveling faster in the center relative to the sides due to friction. All ports have some level of noise. The concave/convex port walls add surface area to the port wall thereby minimizing friction thereby reducing port noise.  The ports also have curved edges at both the entrance and exit from the port further reducing port noise.

Are there any specific area’s that you wish me to highlight in the review such as unique technologies employed?

The expansive listening window/power response and the lack of dynamic compression so you can listen at real world levels.

What size room do you recommend for these speakers?

Because of the excellent dispersion I have used them in rooms as small as 13x17x8 and as large as 25x36x10 with good results.

Recommended amplification?

Given the high efficiency (91dB anechoic) the model T can be driven with moderate power and various types of amplifiers (transistor, Class D, Tubes etc.) So power amplifiers between 100 to 900 watts can be employed depending on room size and listening levels required.  The Model T has a benign impedance curve as well so nothing exotic is required.

US pricing
$6,495 a pair with vinyl finish - $7,495 a pair with Wood finish.

Warranty

10 Years

What is the cost of the optional real wood veneer, and at this price range, why did Bryston decide to offer a base veneer as a finish rather than a real wood veneer?

First and foremost we wanted to build an accurate loudspeaker, not a piece of furniture (not that there’s anything wrong with that) and I wanted to supply our customers with as accurate a product that the current state of the art technology allows at the most competitive price possible.  If you want real wood veneers or exotic finishes we can do it at additional costs but it does not provide better performance than the base models. Some vinyl’s are really quite cosmetically exceptional and it is tough to tell the difference sometimes between real woods and vinyl’s these days.  Also vinyl will typically wear better over time and deal better with spills etc. – Customers choice!!!

Do the outriggers come standard with the speakers or are they optional?

Outriggers are optional – the speakers come with spikes and furniture feet standard.