Bryston Loudspeakers

drummermitchell

Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #1000 on: 21 Feb 2013, 02:28 pm »
James has the model T active sub been compared to other subs such as the SS-2,F-113,DD-15 ect perchance.
Wondering where it sits in the sub domain as far as performance(which I'm sure is very good).
I imagine you have compared to your SS-2's.
Hopefully your allowed to answer.
Also when will dealers(Alberta)be getting their hands on these,thx.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1001 on: 21 Feb 2013, 03:37 pm »
James has the model T active sub been compared to other subs such as the SS-2,F-113,DD-15 ect perchance.
Wondering where it sits in the sub domain as far as performance(which I'm sure is very good).
I imagine you have compared to your SS-2's.
Hopefully your allowed to answer.
Also when will dealers(Alberta)be getting their hands on these,thx.

Hi Don

Boy I sure found out a lot about Subs while developing the Model T Sub.  The main issue I saw was that many of the performance specifications are shall we say "exaggerated".   The main thing is how deep will it go and at what levels of distortion and at what SPL (sound presssure level).

You can not get a true reading on the very low frequencies in an anechoic chamber or gating type systems so we use a pole outside which is 50 feet in the air and do all the low bass measurements postioning the sub on the top of the pole on a quiet (no wind) day.  It really tells you what the true response is and I feel confident in saying that the Model T Sub will compete with any 15 inch Sub (3x8 inches) out there.

Also as an aside - in our testing I found that if you need more sound pressure and low distortion Sub playback you are far better off adding a second Sub rather than purchasing a larger single Sub.  The 2nd Sub really helps reduce room resonances.

james

« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2013, 07:44 pm by James Tanner »

drummermitchell

« Reply #1002 on: 21 Feb 2013, 07:47 pm »
I remember a thread somewhere(think it was JL audio)where they were testing their subs outside,the F-113 I believe.
So James when are these subs out and what's the MSRP and when does Audio Ark get one so I can demo :green:..

OOPS price 4195.00 are these subs out to retail store now THX.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1003 on: 21 Feb 2013, 07:50 pm »
I remember a thread somewhere(think it was JL audio)where they were testing their subs outside,the F-113 I believe.
So James when are these subs out and what's the MSRP and when does Audio Ark get one so I can demo :green:..

The Sub is $4195 and we started shipping this week.  Not sure if AA has any on order.

james

neekomax

« Reply #1004 on: 21 Feb 2013, 09:33 pm »
Also as an aside - in our testing I found that if you need more sound pressure and low distortion Sub playback you are far better off adding a second Sub rather than purchasing a larger single Sub.  The 2nd Sub really helps reduce room resonances.

This is interesting. A little OT maybe, but in your opinion, would two decent 8" 'budget' subs be better than a single, slightly-less 'budget' 12" sub, based on your research?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1005 on: 21 Feb 2013, 10:29 pm »
This is interesting. A little OT maybe, but in your opinion, would two decent 8" 'budget' subs be better than a single, slightly-less 'budget' 12" sub, based on your research?

Hi

The low frequency capability is generally determined by the woofer driver size (surface area) and the box and loading it resides in - so a 12 inch would generally go lower in frequency than an 8 inch. But placing more than 1 woofer in a room will really help smooth out the low frequency response throughout the room and reduce the huge amplitude dips generally prevalent with one woofer placement - not to mention a serious reduction in distortion.

James
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2013, 12:26 am by James Tanner »

drummermitchell

« Reply #1006 on: 22 Feb 2013, 12:18 am »
James as the Model T sub is a plate amp and she delivers 600w,how does it compare to say the 7Bsst2 or are the amps totally different beasts.
Just thinking as they both do 600w,course no heat sinks on the model T sub so maybe a lot more efficient.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1007 on: 22 Feb 2013, 12:24 am »
James as the Model T sub is a plate amp and she delivers 600w,how does it compare to say the 7Bsst2 or are the amps totally different beasts.
Just thinking as they both do 600w,course no heat sinks on the model T sub so maybe a lot more efficient.

Hi Don

Yes different amps. The amp in the Model T Sub is a Class D design and is very well suited to woofer applications.

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1008 on: 22 Feb 2013, 12:21 pm »
REPORT FROM SINGAPORE

Sent: Friday, February 22, 2013 1:13 AM
To: jamestanner
Subject: Model T...just heard the showroom pair

Hi James

Just had a chance to see the Model T's in Ivy's showroom and listen to them for a few songs....Wow..the speakers look much more sleek and slim than I was hoping for...perfect for the "wife" factor ! :)

Sound is beautifully natural...amazing snare drum punch..and the vocals sound silky and real....

Cheers !
Tom

klao

« Reply #1009 on: 22 Feb 2013, 05:43 pm »

Any chance there'll also be "Mini T Sub", so I can afford to get 2 of them?   :wink:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1010 on: 22 Feb 2013, 06:13 pm »
Any chance there'll also be "Mini T Sub", so I can afford to get 2 of them?   :wink:

Hi Klao

Have not looked at  that yet but sounds like it might be an option.  The other option is use 1 large sub and 1 smaller sub - the large one gets down there and the small one helps fills the holes higher up.

james

Napalm

« Reply #1011 on: 22 Feb 2013, 07:29 pm »
Hi Folks,

Some pics of the 600 watt amp module in the Model T Subwoofer

Does it have a shield that was intentionally not installed for the photo session, or will Marius have some cell phone trouble with this one too?

:P

BrysTony

« Reply #1012 on: 22 Feb 2013, 07:52 pm »
Does it have a shield that was intentionally not installed for the photo session, or will Marius have some cell phone trouble with this one too?

:P

:thumb:

Napalm

drummermitchell

« Reply #1014 on: 23 Feb 2013, 02:03 am »
James,I'm curious for the model T sub  as to the 8" drivers even though there are three of em.
Was there any thought say using 10, or 12's.Course if the T sub surpasses some well known 15's I think I'm in.
I'm old school where I think and still do a bigger driver will move more air but maybe harder to control.
I don't care how big the sub is or the drivers it's the bass quality,lowend,mid bass punch ect.that count.
Have to audition 1-2 of these just to see and compare to my _ _ _ _as I have not heard anything like it yet.
Have to light a fire under Roberts butt to get a few in at AA.

Napalm

« Reply #1015 on: 23 Feb 2013, 02:16 am »
Even better, skip the tweeters and check a real bass driver (15"):

http://www.paradigm.com/products/products-by-category/subwoofer/signature/signature-series/sub-25

They eventually had to permanently bolt the grille on, as at 3kW RMS no removable mount was able to keep it in place  :P

drummermitchell

« Reply #1016 on: 23 Feb 2013, 03:32 am »
doesn't matter to me if that sub can break the death grip of the termites holding hands in this ol shack,I'm after musical.
Low notes are fine even clean but there's mid bass also which alot(and I've tried em)don't get.
The sub I have now does and if I can get smaller that'll do the same then I'm game with a 5-10 yr warranty :thumb:.

Robert D

« Reply #1017 on: 23 Feb 2013, 12:34 pm »
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/subwoofers/subwoofers-reviews/paradigm-sub-1-subwoofer/page-3-in-use.html

Don, I purchased a pair of Sub 1's .
They were most wecome

Take a Look

Ps I would have probably gone with a pair of Sub 2's but I just could not lift up the Box that they were shipped in  :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1018 on: 23 Feb 2013, 12:48 pm »
Did a Bryston night at London Audio last night introducing the Bryston loudspeakers - lots of fun and thanks everyone for showing up even with the terrible weather.  :thumb: :thumb:

James

KingstonMoon

« Reply #1019 on: 23 Feb 2013, 01:38 pm »

Glad to hear all was great in London last night !

I had my demo experience with the Bryston Mini T's yesterday with the great crew at Whitby Audio . Mark was very very helpful , patient , accommodating , knowledgeable , and has real passion for service and  hi fidelity audio ! Thank you James for the direction on that !

The mini T demo had me excited all day - got my way through the Auto show in a couple hours and back on the road to Whitby Audio i went - great way to wrap up the week !

Without any hesitation i can say with my own experience , and about 90 minutes of listening ,  the Mini t's performed beautifully and with such smooth range . I played a number of pieces ( Demo material available resembled my own audio collection lol ) , Kate Bush - Metallica , Vangelis , Roger Whitaker , Cult , beastie boys , Enya , Iron maiden ,  Bowie ,  Moby , Max webster  , Donna Summer  , Joy Division , Madonna, Buddy Rich  etc etc etc -- a real mix of music and vocals and the Mini T's performed it all so right ! Vocals , percussion ( i love percussion ) , piano , guitar in every intensity , rapid drum/snare , anthem like synths , high reaching vocals 
and vocal without instrument etc . The sound presented was pure , crisp ,  and toe tapping !  The highs , mids and lows were represented fully - to a scale i had not heard at all from a standmount and at this price point and higher . The bass performance was  powerful , fast , tight , and very very capable , VERY capable - wow . No noise from the speakers -- just the truth - the music , the instruments and vocals as they were meant to be .

You and the Bryston team have made best in class gear for a long long time , and have added  speakers to the mix in a huge way !  Well done on all levels ! The finish , feel , robustness , weight and cabinet density / strength really reflect on your firm's attention to detail . I am a well studied and researched consumer - dont by junk - pay more for better and better service , and buy it for a lifetime sort of investment person . The Mini T's are on my investment list and real fast ! I thoroughly enjoyed how they played and how they made me feel . Two thumbs way up to borrow a phrase !

Enjoy your weekend ! 

Shawn
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2013, 04:05 pm by KingstonMoon »