Bryston Loudspeakers

ec

Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #880 on: 5 Jan 2013, 08:38 pm »
James,

Will the Model T or Mini T be sold individually? 

When I rebuild my new Home Theatre, it will have an accoustically transparent screen.  Ideally, I want all three front speakers to be identical.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #881 on: 5 Jan 2013, 08:43 pm »
James,

Will the Model T or Mini T be sold individually? 

When I rebuild my new Home Theatre, it will have an accoustically transparent screen.  Ideally, I want all three front speakers to be identical.

Yes they will be availble as singles. Going with 3 identical speakers is how it is done at the recording studio.  :thumb:

James

Samurai7595

« Reply #882 on: 7 Jan 2013, 07:43 pm »
James,

Would it be possible to post a pic of the back of the T-Mini loudspeaker that shows the binding posts?

Also, can the T-Mini be either bi-wired or bi-amped?

Thanks!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #883 on: 8 Jan 2013, 02:54 am »
James,

Would it be possible to post a pic of the back of the T-Mini loudspeaker that shows the binding posts?

Also, can the T-Mini be either bi-wired or bi-amped?

Thanks!

Yes will try - it is bi-wire-able.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #884 on: 14 Jan 2013, 05:34 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston Model T Subwoofer

Bryston Subwoofer Philosophy

Attached are some of the graphs of the Bryston Model T 600 watt powered Subwoofer.  It has excellent output down to 17 Hz with a max output of 108 dB in a 4pi environment.  This is a solid subwoofer.

Subwoofers in many respects are much simpler devices than broadband loudspeakers. All of the frequencies they are reproducing are omni-directional so there is no family of curves or listening window to consider. 

Distortion:  The most important part of subwoofer distortion is that it does not produce any obnoxious mechanical noises during playback.  Since the amplifier and drivers are a combined in the same physical unit this can best be accomplished with sophisticated limiters.  For the Bryston Model T Sub we are doing it with a DSP, the ultimate limiter in our opinion.  In a perfect world you would have enough subwoofers in your room to never hit any of the limits that would cause obnoxious noises but in the real world you want a good limiter in there for those odd soundtracks that have something wonky going on every once and awhile. 

As for things like harmonic distortion our human tolerance of this is very high at low frequencies.  We have done extensive testing on this.  So if your goal is "no audible distortion", and I think that is the proper goal, then you can comfortable push the subwoofer's output to very high levels. The number that gets bandied around most often for subwoofers is 10% harmonic distortion plus noise.  Unfortunately this is too simplistic because it depends at what frequency and if it is harmonically related or not, and even which harmonic if it is. 

Limits: When setting the limits, which we can do quite precisely with the DSP, we are allowing the 2nd harmonic in the lowest frequencies, below 30 Hz, to reach about 6 dB below the fundamental. As the frequencies rise this spread rises also.  Of course this is all moot if you have enough subwoofers in your room to never get close to these limits.

Output: Every room and listening preference will mean a different level of sheer output is required.  This can be accomplished by one massive powerful subwoofer or by multiple subwoofers around the room.  Small room acoustics being what they are, multiple subwoofers have advantages beyond just the sheer output gained.  So I would say you should always increase your sheer output requirements by increasing the number of subwoofers, not simply getting a bigger and bigger single subwoofer.   Going strictly by the math every time you double the number of subwoofers in the room you will add 6 dB of output.  So four subwoofers, which is a nice number for small room acoustics, would add 12 dB to the overall output.  In reality most small rooms will have a bass hump centered around 25 Hz and as you add subwoofers you will gain minimal output around the hump but you will gain significant output, more than 6 dB with each doubling, where you need it the most for smooth in room bass response - in the dips and valleys.

In Room Linearity: It can be argued, and somewhat rightly so, that linearity does not matter if you are using EQ in your system to adjust dips and peaks in your room for the sub frequencies.  This said, not everyone is using EQ and there are good reasons why not doing so.  Using EQ is not a simple thing to get right.  Bryston does not recommend using EQ in a Subwoofer and we certainly have the equipment to set it up and implement it properly.  Using two or four subs around the room is going to do a much better job of smoothing  out the bass response in the room (assuming your subwoofers are linear in a 4pi environment to start with).  In our view this is the proper way to achieve great bass in your listening room.

drummermitchell

« Reply #885 on: 14 Jan 2013, 06:28 pm »
delete
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2013, 12:11 am by drummermitchell »

werd

« Reply #886 on: 14 Jan 2013, 08:04 pm »
Hi James,I'm interested.
#1 what are the pricing of Bryston subs.
#2 What type of warranty will they have,a lot are 1-2 yr,an exception is Thiel subs which are 10yr.
Is BRYSTON the exception also :green:....................hope I didn't put you on the spot :lol:..

Hey Don

Have you heard these speakers yet?

drummermitchell

« Reply #887 on: 14 Jan 2013, 08:14 pm »
Hey Werd,no not as yet still pondering Maggie 3.7's.

« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2013, 03:12 am by drummermitchell »

werd

« Reply #888 on: 14 Jan 2013, 09:39 pm »
Hey Werd,no not as yet still pondering Maggie 3.7's.
I'm sure they sound really good.
For now curious about the subs,hopefully James will respond.

Make sure you hear the model Ts before you jump on any thing. You can get them with the xover out of the cabinet  too.

werd

« Reply #889 on: 14 Jan 2013, 10:58 pm »
Hi James

With the out board xovers. Do you jumper on the input to achieve all three woofer mid and tweeter?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #890 on: 14 Jan 2013, 11:35 pm »
Hi James

With the out board xovers. Do you jumper on the input to achieve all three woofer mid and tweeter?

It comes with the 3 inputs jumpered and you can remove them if you want to Bi or Tri wire the inputs. The outputs have to be tri wired to the speaker. We offer a wiring kit for both the input and the output using the Bryston speaker cables.

James
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2013, 03:59 pm by James Tanner »

werd

« Reply #891 on: 15 Jan 2013, 03:52 pm »
Ok thanks  :thumb:

Samurai7595

« Reply #892 on: 16 Jan 2013, 06:02 pm »
Yes will try - it is bi-wire-able.

james

James,

Any chance you can post the pic of the rear of the T Mini so that we can see the binding posts?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #893 on: 16 Jan 2013, 06:09 pm »
James,

Any chance you can post the pic of the rear of the T Mini so that we can see the binding posts?

Hi,

Yes I will as soon as I have a spare pair - everything we have recieved has been shipped. Do you just want to know where they are located?

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #894 on: 16 Jan 2013, 06:23 pm »
600 Watt Power Subwoofer is done

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #895 on: 16 Jan 2013, 06:29 pm »
New Model T Center is done:

After much testing the poloar response is better with the tweeters on the inside middle.

james

bummrush

« Reply #896 on: 16 Jan 2013, 07:05 pm »
 Although i never owned Bryston,i think here is a example of just plain different thing,and yes i could be very wrong.Ok you hear the word sub and you or at least i do square cube  somewhere in room.Then Bryston comes out with this and the first thing you notice is no cube,and then i look at the pic and i see Bryston again coming out with thier own way of doing things instead of the cube.So simple yet its looks like a heck of a way to pound out some lows.

Fido2

« Reply #897 on: 16 Jan 2013, 07:31 pm »
Hey James,
 We still lookin at March before the next shipment of Model T's?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #898 on: 16 Jan 2013, 07:58 pm »
Although i never owned Bryston,i think here is a example of just plain different thing,and yes i could be very wrong.Ok you hear the word sub and you or at least i do square cube  somewhere in room.Then Bryston comes out with this and the first thing you notice is no cube,and then i look at the pic and i see Bryston again coming out with thier own way of doing things instead of the cube.So simple yet its looks like a heck of a way to pound out some lows.

Yes there are some advantages to using three 8 inch woofers in this configuration:

1. One is the first floor bounce.... which with a single speaker can cause a deep dip in response - usually about 60 to 80 HZ - because of the distance between the woofer the floor and the listener. With the three woofers the first floor bounce is not an issue because now you have 3 woofers different distances from the floor. 

2. Three 8's equal a 15 inch so lots of low end surface area.

3. Less of a floor footprint than a large cube.

4. If you want you can place it sideways and it will fit under the screen or in a horizontal space easier.

james
« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2013, 11:15 pm by James Tanner »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #899 on: 16 Jan 2013, 08:02 pm »
Heres a graph of lack of floor bounce using 3 woofers:

james