Bryston Loudspeakers

PRELUDE

Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #820 on: 14 Dec 2012, 10:11 pm »
On that note what about a pair of 7's on the woofers and a 4 channel 9 for the mid and high for those of us who now have a pair of 7's.  Would that be too much diparity in power or would 140 per side be fine for the mids and highs?  James, you sly dog, you gotta be lovin' this.  Everyone trying to figure out how many more Bryston amps to buy.  Couldn't happen to a nicer guy  :thumb:.
My main idea was to keep the entry level and space in mind but you would not be happier if you could use a pair of 7s or 14 instead of 4.
I have been using 7s in my active system to drive the woofers for over 20 years and never look to replace them with anything ever. :thumb:

JeffO

« Reply #821 on: 15 Dec 2012, 08:08 pm »

Hi

The external crossover has a few improvements over the internal.  The external uses air core inductors as well as high tolerance Bryston Capacitors. 

If you see yourself moving towards an all Active system in the future then I would recommend purchasing the Model T SIGNATURE version (which includes the external crossover).  That way you simply replace the outboard passive crossover that goes between your power amp and speaker with the Active Crossover that goes between your Preamp and Amps.

I will list the current Bryston amp options as well in a few minutes.

james

Is there an audible difference between the internal crossover and the Signature version?  Is it worth getting the Signature even if I do not see myself moving towards an all active system? 

95Dyna

« Reply #822 on: 15 Dec 2012, 09:41 pm »
Is there an audible difference between the internal crossover and the Signature version?  Is it worth getting the Signature even if I do not see myself moving towards an all active system?

Hi JeffO,

That's a great question because I'm beginning to see this proposition as two way with a major cost difference between the two as opposed to a three way unless, as yoiur question begs, there is a discernable difference between the inboard and outboard passives.  The active is far more expensve than the $2-$3K for the active crossover itself.  You are looking at no less than $7-$8K and potentially twice that for 6 amp channels  depending on the situation.  Additionally you have more cabling to deal with etc.  In my situation I have to view the active Model T as a $16-20K speaker having to add either a 4 channel 9B, (2) 4Bs or (2) 3Bs to my existing 7's (although the dual 3B's is not making sense when compared pricewise to a 4 channel 9-somebody correct me if I'm wrong). 

The big difficulty is it wiill be impossible  for most of us without Bryston dealers nearby to demo the three side by side.  Alot to think about because "the demo is everything".  Hmm, where have I head that before :scratch:.

werd

« Reply #823 on: 15 Dec 2012, 09:56 pm »
Hi JeffO,

That's a great question because I'm beginning to see this proposition as two way with a major cost difference between the two as opposed to a three way unless, as yoiur question begs, there is a discernable difference between the inboard and outboard passives.  The active is far more expensve than the $2-$3K for the active crossover itself.  You are looking at no less than $7-$8K and potentially twice that for 6 amp channels  depending on the situation.  Additionally you have more cabling to deal with etc.  In my situation I have to view the active Model T as a $16-20K speaker having to add either a 4 channel 9B, (2) 4Bs or (2) 3Bs to my existing 7's (although the dual 3B's is not making sense when compared pricewise to a 4 channel 9-somebody correct me if I'm wrong). 

The big difficulty is it wiill be impossible  for most of us without Bryston dealers nearby to demo the three side by side.  Alot to think about because "the demo is everything".  Hmm, where have I head that before :scratch:.

Hey Dyna

Long time no talk to. I have been lucky to be able to sit infront of a pair of model-Ts at the local dealer. These are the internal xover ones. They are pretty nice and definitely worth consideration. The outboard xover gives a three way while the internal are bi wire. I would get the external for sure only because the internal model are good and external xovers will just give you less distortion or more resolution, which ever way you look at it.

Jamesie

« Reply #824 on: 15 Dec 2012, 11:05 pm »
Hi Paul

Yes I believe our Australian Distributor is planning on bringing in the speakers soon.  We are currently sold out but should have more available come Feb.

james

Hey James,

Cheers for the info, look forward to hearing them.

Sounds like these are selling like hot cakes :D

95Dyna

« Reply #825 on: 16 Dec 2012, 03:49 am »

Hey Dyna

Long time no talk to. I have been lucky to be able to sit infront of a pair of model-Ts at the local dealer. These are the internal xover ones. They are pretty nice and definitely worth consideration. The outboard xover gives a three way while the internal are bi wire. I would get the external for sure only because the internal model are good and external xovers will just give you less distortion or more resolution, which ever way you look at it.

WERD!  Dude, how are things up yonder in Saskatoon?  Getting a little nippy this time of year I bet.  Do you still have your Zen Adagios?  If so how do the Model T internal passives compare (not looking for good or bad, just how they sound). Before I became aware of the Model T's I had it boiled down to the Marten Design Djangos, ML Summits, Thiel 3.7, Maggie 3.7's w/JL F110s leaninng toward the Djangos.  The Model T's w/outboard passive are at an attractive price point compared to that bunch so they have caught my attention. As I recall you have one of the better sets of ears among the Bryston AC buds so I always appreciate your thoughts.  Hoping you get to hear the external passive and active so you can report back.

Cheers!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #826 on: 16 Dec 2012, 05:49 pm »
Hi Folks,

The reason I wanted to offer the speakers in three versions and different finishes (vinyl, real wood, special finishes etc.) is to provide as much price flexibility for our customers as possible. BUT- the goal was PERFORMANCE first Furniture second.

The reviews you have seen and will see in the next few weeks are all the standard passive versions with Internal crossovers.  The Signature serious adds the ability to have an External Passive Crossover to the mix.  The Signature crossover adds a couple of aditional features - Air Core Inductors instead of ferrite core inductors and custom proprietary Bryston specked Capacitors with very high measured tolerances. Whether that translates to better performance is for each to decide.

Finally there is the Active system which requires an external electronic crossover between the preamp and the six channels of amplification.  I have always been a fan of Active systems because their ability to resolve inner details and offer resolution at a higher level is something I desire in my system.  The downside of active is they can be ruthless at showing the audio pimples in the gear or the source material.

james
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2012, 11:39 am by James Tanner »

werd

« Reply #827 on: 17 Dec 2012, 02:39 am »
WERD!  Dude, how are things up yonder in Saskatoon?  Getting a little nippy this time of year I bet.  Do you still have your Zen Adagios?  If so how do the Model T internal passives compare (not looking for good or bad, just how they sound). Before I became aware of the Model T's I had it boiled down to the Marten Design Djangos, ML Summits, Thiel 3.7, Maggie 3.7's w/JL F110s leaninng toward the Djangos.  The Model T's w/outboard passive are at an attractive price point compared to that bunch so they have caught my attention. As I recall you have one of the better sets of ears among the Bryston AC buds so I always appreciate your thoughts.  Hoping you get to hear the external passive and active so you can report back.

Cheers!

Hey Dyna, man o man the winter is pretty intense this year. Not only that but somehow the city councillors decided that Saskatoon doesn't need snow removal in the residential streets. They picked the snowiest year to try and save money on what we need for useless city spending like a new website which is costing saskatoon 1.2 million...lol. We got idiots at city hall right now. I am being serious. They are idiots in the serious sense. I really feel like going down to City hall and confronting our mayor and asking. "Are you frickn  stupid?. Thats a serious question mayor. Are you frickn stupid?

Anyways, those are a serious selection of signature speakers you got... way to go. :thumb:  Yes i still own the AZs. The Model ts are somewhat similar. Only that the way they look is not the way they sound. They remind me of an MTM config. in sound. Very much the same way my AZs sound. The Model ts are way louder and they also have serious bass. With my AZs i get a decent bass punch but its more about resolving notes than sucker bass punches to the face....lol. With the model ts you get what i get from my AZs in resolving but you also get sucker bass punches to face that kinda sit you back.  :icon_lol:

With my AZs you get the mtm ribbon deal but they dont have the dynamic swing you get from a like a tweeter over mid  that a pmc gives you. The ribbon deal and the mtm gives you nice cymbal focus and basically any treble response gets better midrange cohesive staging, when its done right. Thats what i like about them or i prefer anyways. Well with the Model ts you get best of both worlds i am finding. You get the mtm focus and treble cohesive staging (somehow) but you also get the dynamic swings of a ttmm config. I going to have more hours on them this week so thats basically my first thoughts.

I would check them out and consider that the outboard xover will lighten the cabinet distortion. They have got to be better.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #828 on: 18 Dec 2012, 05:44 pm »
FIRST OFFICIAL REVIEW - Bryston Model T

http://www.innerearmag.com/reviews/speakers/Bryston_Modet_T.shtml

james
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2012, 11:06 am by James Tanner »

PRELUDE

« Reply #829 on: 18 Dec 2012, 10:52 pm »

werd

« Reply #830 on: 19 Dec 2012, 04:09 am »
Thats the finish i would definitely get.  :thumb: Those are nice. Another real nice comment i like and which i like my AZs also are they way they handle change ups in amps and upgrades.

mobileusa

• Industry Participant
  • engulfaudio.com - Audio Dealer
    • engulfaudio
« Reply #831 on: 19 Dec 2012, 04:57 am »
Another successful launch for Bryston, James, and associates. Fantastic job! BTW James, how many hours are in YOUR day?? :D

Looks as though the same review has been posted on ultrahighreview.com...

http://www.ultrahighendreview.com/bryston-model-t-basic-loudspeaker/

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #832 on: 22 Dec 2012, 10:22 pm »
DEALER FEEDBACK – BRYSTON MODEL T SPEAKER

Sent: Saturday, December 22, 2012 5:08 PM
To: James Tanner
Subject: Re: FIRST OFFICIAL REVIEW - Bryston Model T

Hi James

Just saw the Model T review by Inner Ear Magazine -  A well-earned first review! 

Ernie is spot on...  I am happy he is aware (i.e. hears) of the differences in wire looms and continues to appreciate the goodness in the various amplifier designs and etc.  Good Audio Man!

Have you mated the T’s with the new B135 integrated in any of your listening rooms?  If so,  how does it compare to your other preamplifier/power rigs?

FYI -
I continue to smile every time I play a different album and experience the lowest octave foundation in the recording(s).  It seems to make the overall sound more "real" and engaging without the typical subwoofer effect you hear at the shows.  It tends to increase the overall air of the recording to make the listening room appear larger and more live.

I am continuing to play with the Ts directly on the carpet and the Stillpoints footers.  No contest, of course, but I need to try the factory provided spikes and compare them with the Stillpoints footers.

A local audio associate is coming by next week to take another listen and see what his take is on the Ts.  Interestingly, he is getting back into audio since his last visit here a few weeks ago.  He actually purchased a REGA turntable and is spinning his vinyl collection after a ten year hiatus from audio.  His recent retirement is giving him more time to get back to his hobbies he dropped out of many moons ago.  Sound familiar?

Dan

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #833 on: 23 Dec 2012, 10:04 am »
Very nice James. :thumb: :thumb:

Congrats James on a good and thorough review.

vegasdave

« Reply #834 on: 23 Dec 2012, 10:06 am »
Yes the Rosewoods are going to Vegas for the show in January and then I plan to hi-jack them for home.

james

Will they be on active display?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #835 on: 23 Dec 2012, 12:37 pm »
Will they be on active display?

No - we had already contracted last year to share a room with Thiel in the Vegas Audio Show.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #836 on: 23 Dec 2012, 05:53 pm »
A/V Solutions

www.avsolutionsca.com

Re: Bryston Model T Speaker
Sent to: James Tanner on: Today at 12:04 pm

Hi James,

The Model T are settling in nice......I have just under two hundred hours on them now and pretty much have finalized thier placement in the room. Some breif impressions are they have fantastic low level details and not just at higher listening levels but at the low to moderate levels, you really get a great sence of "you feel it before you hear it".......if you know what I mean!

Another strength i'm finding is how well they disappear in the room.......sometimes I find a speaker of this size in a smallish room often has trouble being invisable or getting out of the way, not the Model T's.....they do it to a T   I also find them very well balanced from top to bottom, very open and loads of ambient detail but not out of place......listen to a recording in a concert hall and you get that big big sound, listen to a cut in that small smokey night club and you have the intimate sound as it should be.....the Model T's reveal these differences with out a glitch........this is where I'm at for now but will report back with more.

jbwhitlock
Industry Participant

vegasdave

« Reply #837 on: 24 Dec 2012, 04:47 am »
No - we had already contracted last year to share a room with Thiel in the Vegas Audio Show.

james

Ok, thanks for your reply, James. Sounds good.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #838 on: 24 Dec 2012, 01:10 pm »
Model t mini added to website  :thumb:

http://bryston.com/products/speakers/Model_T_Mini.html

james

srb

« Reply #839 on: 24 Dec 2012, 03:22 pm »
Model t mini added to website  :thumb:

I was looking for the dimensions and weight but don't see either spec or a document in the Browse Technical Documents link in the specifications section.

Steve