Bryston Loudspeakers

mr_bill

Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #520 on: 27 Jul 2012, 01:08 pm »

Not only haeve you designed outstanding speakers James, but the added ability for the center and surrounds to levitate will really help with mounting problems too!

Home Theater Matching Set

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #521 on: 27 Jul 2012, 01:17 pm »
Not only haeve you designed outstanding speakers James, but the added ability for the center and surrounds to levitate will really help with mounting problems too!

Yes all he models have optional anti-gravity adjustments.  :lol:

James

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #522 on: 27 Jul 2012, 10:08 pm »
  Lookin' good. Are the tweeters Titanium (I hope)  :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #523 on: 27 Jul 2012, 10:20 pm »
  Lookin' good. Are the tweeters Titanium (I hope)  :thumb:

Yes.

james

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #524 on: 27 Jul 2012, 10:28 pm »
  Thanks James. I have JBL Ti 044 tweeters and regardless of what some think they are a good choice in my book. Are those the 8 inch woofers in the pix? I think we are on the same page in many old and proven ways.. Cheers... :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #525 on: 27 Jul 2012, 11:18 pm »
  Thanks James. I have JBL Ti 044 tweeters and regardless of what some think they are a good choice in my book. Are those the 8 inch woofers in the pix? I think we are on the same page in many old and proven ways.. Cheers... :thumb:

Yes-  3 eights which equals a 15.

james

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #526 on: 27 Jul 2012, 11:27 pm »
Yes-  3 eights which equals a 15.

james

I believe PMC's top-of-the line BB5 speaker has a 15 inch woofer.

James, could you explian how 3 eights equals 15.

Dave

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #527 on: 27 Jul 2012, 11:44 pm »
I believe PMC's top-of-the line BB5 speaker has a 15 inch woofer.

James, could you explian how 3 eights equals 15.

Dave

It has to do with the total radiating surface area of the driver(s).

james

MarvinTheMartian

« Reply #528 on: 28 Jul 2012, 10:25 am »
7.1 fully active ... T'ease
===3==1
3=====3
2=====2
=2===2=
... 18 channels of amplification and 4 digital X-overs : )
James what an absolutely brilliant marketing strategy .

Seriously ... I could envision an active center channel to timbre match the mains. It will be very interesting to do a side by side comparison of the passive and active X-overs.

Question ...
Does the Tri-center technique also apply to the T's or is it strictly a Maggie thing?

Shawn

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #529 on: 28 Jul 2012, 11:13 am »
7.1 fully active ... T'ease
===3==1
3=====3
2=====2
=2===2=
... 18 channels of amplification and 4 digital X-overs : )
James what an absolutely brilliant marketing strategy .

Seriously ... I could envision an active center channel to timbre match the mains. It will be very interesting to do a side by side comparison of the passive and active X-overs.

Question ...
Does the Tri-center technique also apply to the T's or is it strictly a Maggie thing?

Shawn

Hi,

I think a Maggie thing as it appears to work best with Dipole type speakers.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #530 on: 28 Jul 2012, 12:01 pm »
Hi Folks

Instead of using the top part of the Model T as the Surround speakers or Stereo pair I am thinking of producing a Stereo pair which would use one of each driver from the Model T.  So one of each of the 8 inch woofer , 5 inch mid and tweeter. That way we would have a true 3-way full range speaker capable of being used as a Surround speaker or a quality Stereo pair???

James

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #531 on: 28 Jul 2012, 12:52 pm »
Sounds good.

Vipers

« Reply #532 on: 28 Jul 2012, 01:45 pm »

Blimey James, I turn my back for a couple of days and you've designed a whole home cinema package, I can't keep up, do you ever sleep, there's certainly no stopping you at the moment :)

Good luck with the whole range, I can't imagine how much effort you must have put into this product, I'm sure there is going to be a lot of interest once its all with dealers, just hoping I can grab a pair, nudge, nudge :wink:  :wink:

jackman

« Reply #533 on: 28 Jul 2012, 02:46 pm »
I've been following this thread since the beginning, and have one question.  How can these speakers sound good?  They break so many audiocircle "rules" ...

- they use metal tweeters
- they don't have waveguides
- they don't have OB bass
- they don't have ribbon tweeters
- they aren't open baffle design
- they don't have exotic drivers
- they don't use exotic caps and inductors
- they don't use mega-buck binding posts
- they don't have external crossover boxes
- they are not encased in ego-stroking humidor-like exotic veneers
- the cabinets are not made of stacked Baltic birch
- the internal cables aren't made of silver or expensive/exotic metal

I've spent a lot of time on this site, and others for that matter, and have major concerns about a speaker that only relies on solid engineering in a relatively conventional design.  Okay, it has twin tweeters which is relatively uncommon, but otherwise it appears to be a carefully designed speaker in a conventional enclosure. 

Other than the sound, what ego-stroking features do you plan to offer with this speaker line?  You know, things that may not actually contribute to the sound but allow the owners to brag about when their friends come over for a listen or when they post on audio forums?   These speakers only seem to focus on good sound and accurate measurements.  In my experience, this only accounts for approximately 40-45% of the average audiofool's decision making criteria.

How is the guy with a preamp that has a two inch thick CNC'd aluminum face and huge, albeit half empty case, going to brag about these speakers when the only thing you seem to have focused on is great sound?  These speakers don't fill the "audio jewelry" requirement of so many audiophiles.  Would you consider a special addition to target this segment?

How do you plan to address the other"important" features most audio "expert" consumers clamor?

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #534 on: 28 Jul 2012, 02:58 pm »
I've been following this thread since the beginning, and have one question.  How can these speakers sound good?  They break so many audiocircle "rules" ...

I've spent a lot of time on this site, and others for that matter, and have major concerns about a speaker that only relies on solid engineering in a relatively conventional design.  Okay, it has twin tweeters which is relatively uncommon, but otherwise it appears to be a carefully designed speaker in a conventional enclosure. 

Other than the sound, what ego-stroking features do you plan to offer with this speaker line?  You know, things that may not actually contribute to the sound but allow the owners to brag about when their friends come over for a listen or when they post on audio forums?   These speakers only seem to focus on good sound and accurate measurements.  In my experience, this only accounts for approximately 40-45% of the average audiofool's decision making criteria.

How is the guy with a preamp that has a two inch thick CNC'd aluminum face and huge, albeit half empty case, going to brag about these speakers when the only thing you seem to have focused on is great sound?  These speakers don't fill the "audio jewelry" requirement of so many audiophiles.  Would you consider a special addition to target this segment?

How do you plan to address the other"important" features most audio "expert" consumers clamor?

Excellent. Worthy of a Stephen Colbert satire award.

Dave

Mag

« Reply #535 on: 28 Jul 2012, 04:26 pm »
Hi,

I think a Maggie thing as it appears to work best with Dipole type speakers.

james

When I ventured into multi-channel, HT because it was a progressive upgrade path. I just used my previous front direct radiating speakers for surrounds. I've always been curious if dipoles for surrounds would have been better. I heard dipoles in surround mode at dealer show room and it sounded pretty good. Actually that is partly where I got the idea to use the long wall for multi-channel, HT application.

So the question is, did your tests determine which is better for surround duty, direct radiating speakers or dipole?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #536 on: 28 Jul 2012, 04:29 pm »
When I ventured into multi-channel, HT because it was a progressive upgrade path. I just used my previous front direct radiating speakers for surrounds. I've always been curious if dipoles for surrounds would have been better. I heard dipoles in surround mode at dealer show room and it sounded pretty good. Actually that is partly where I got the idea to use the long wall for multi-channel, HT application.

So the question is, did your tests determine which is better for surround duty, direct radiating speakers or dipole?

Hi Mag

I think both can work well but in the early days when the Surround channels were really only a Matrix of the front channels the surrounds being bipolar was the norm because they were only there to add ambiance not direct sound images.  With all the new surround formats like Dolby HD and DTS Master a lot of movies now are mixed with direct sound affects in the side and rear channels.  So I think the trend will be towards direct radiator type speakers going forward.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #537 on: 28 Jul 2012, 04:31 pm »

Hi jackman,

At Bryston we sell PERFORMANCE not FURNITURE  :thumb:

james

spinner

« Reply #538 on: 28 Jul 2012, 04:42 pm »
  Bravo james :thumb:

jackman

« Reply #539 on: 28 Jul 2012, 04:58 pm »
Hi jackman,

At Bryston we sell PERFORMANCE not FURNITURE  :thumb:

james

James,

Thanks!  So you are going to try to introduce speakers based on solid design and performance?   Can you at least offer a special edition with cabinets made out of three inch thick CNC'd aluminum and Cryo the whole thing?  I know of more than a few audio "enthusiasts" who would fall...I mean go for it.

You guys know I'm kidding, right?  Compliments to James for the gimmick-free, fundamental approach to this design.