Bryston Loudspeakers

mr_bill

Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #500 on: 25 Jul 2012, 06:14 pm »
Hi John - yes - all the drivers are handling the appropriate frequency range in parallel.  I know we are going to get into major discussions about comb filtering etc. but believe me we have research this for many years now and implemented correctly and given our design goals of no dynamic compression and excellent power response this solution worked best.

Ultimately people will have to listen for themselves but I have always felt that real world dynamics was something lacking in many speakers I have owned.

james

James - what does real world dynamics mean to you?
The ability to play really loud?
What it means to me is the jump factor - quick rise time, and the ability to play differences in loudness, not just loud but the micro differences.

I've always interpreted that when people use the word dynamics they are usually referring to how loud the system will play which is just one aspect of the definition.

milford3

« Reply #501 on: 25 Jul 2012, 06:24 pm »
The definition for the word dynamic in the audio speaker world, for me, is the ability of a speaker to sound louder and better as one lowers the volume.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #502 on: 25 Jul 2012, 06:25 pm »
that's one reason extra for me to try the active Model T. Transparency, air and revealing the 'sense of being there is what I've always looked for in a n audio system, being a professional classical musician comparing to what i've always around me in real orchestral life.

Hope it's the kind of electrostat transparency you, (we) 're on to here, with the power of the regular drivers. Might just be the end of a longtime quest, and a real big winner  :thumb:....

can i start trying those T's with only the 28b's bridged over the drivers (and maybe going upward from that, or do they really need separate amps per driver(set) to begin with?

Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #503 on: 25 Jul 2012, 06:26 pm »

Hi Marius,

In the active setup you need a dedicated electronic crossover and 6 channels of amplification.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #504 on: 25 Jul 2012, 06:29 pm »
James - what does real world dynamics mean to you?
The ability to play really loud?
What it means to me is the jump factor - quick rise time, and the ability to play differences in loudness, not just loud but the micro differences.

I've always interpreted that when people use the word dynamics they are usually referring to how loud the system will play which is just one aspect of the definition.

Dynamics refers to the difference between the lowest level and the highest level a speaker can respond too.  With the model T I am trying to produce a speaker that will play those dynamics without distortion.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #505 on: 26 Jul 2012, 03:54 pm »
Model T Home Theater Surround System:

james

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #506 on: 26 Jul 2012, 04:03 pm »
Model T Home Theater Surround System:

james

Hi James. Hard to see the HT speakers that are not Model T. Do you have separate pictures for the others?

Dave

jackman

« Reply #507 on: 26 Jul 2012, 04:05 pm »
James, cool looking speakers!  What is the advantage of two tweeters (or dual tweeters)?  I've not seen many other manufactures use this design.  Did you experiment with a single tweeter version to compare?  thanks!

adol290

« Reply #508 on: 26 Jul 2012, 04:40 pm »

James, a couple more questions:

What is the price to add the bottom Plinth to each speaker.
    Does it get bolted on?

Do you have the prices on the center and surround speakers.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #509 on: 26 Jul 2012, 04:52 pm »
James, cool looking speakers!  What is the advantage of two tweeters (or dual tweeters)?  I've not seen many other manufactures use this design.  Did you experiment with a single tweeter version to compare?  thanks!

Hi jackman

My Model T Journey (or what I did on my summer vacation):

I started out checking with a number of speaker companies about my idea of building a quality loudspeaker but in ACTIVE form only - meaning an outboard electronic crossover and six channels of outboard (Bryston) amplification.

So over the last year and a bit we built a pair of the single woofer, single mid range and single tweeter version first and they were OK.  Then I tried a dual woofer, single mid and single tweeter, then a dual woofer, dual mid and single tweet then a triple woofer, dual mid and single tweeter and finally a triple woofer, dual mid and dual tweeter.

The difference is:  "dynamic capabilities with low distortion" improve substantially with the dual tweeter and in most speakers that is the limitation.  Also the efficiency of the driver compliment means that there is not a lot of padding down required in the crossover to match the power capabilities of the different drivers (Tweeters/Mids/Woofers).

Then I decided to try a Passive version to see how close we could come to the sound of the Active Model T – I am very happy with the results and it offers our customers a state of the art sound at a very reasonable price.

james
« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2012, 07:34 pm by James Tanner »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #510 on: 26 Jul 2012, 05:15 pm »
James, a couple more questions:

What is the price to add the bottom Plinth to each speaker.
    Does it get bolted on?

Do you have the prices on the center and surround speakers.

Hi,

The plinth is bolted on and not sure yet on any of the prices.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #511 on: 26 Jul 2012, 05:45 pm »
Hi James. Hard to see the HT speakers that are not Model T. Do you have separate pictures for the others?

Dave

Will have shortly.

james

rmurray

« Reply #512 on: 26 Jul 2012, 07:15 pm »
 James you mentioned there my be a metal plinth. Is that still a possibility? :scratch:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #513 on: 26 Jul 2012, 07:31 pm »
James you mentioned there my be a metal plinth. Is that still a possibility? :scratch:

Yes still looking at that but the speaker is capable of such low frequency I am worried about 'ringing' issue with metal.

james

gdbalp

« Reply #514 on: 27 Jul 2012, 01:38 am »
Hi James,

As usual, you are introducing another great Bryston product.  I can not wait to hear them and see if I need to upgrade again...

I do have a question about the active setup on these speakers.  Can it be arranged with 4 channels of amplification - 1 channel for the lows and 2nd channel for the mid's and highs?

Ciao,
Luigi

PRELUDE

« Reply #515 on: 27 Jul 2012, 03:21 am »
Hi James,

As usual, you are introducing another great Bryston product.  I can not wait to hear them and see if I need to upgrade again...

I do have a question about the active setup on these speakers.  Can it be arranged with 4 channels of amplification - 1 channel for the lows and 2nd channel for the mid's and highs?

Ciao,
Luigi
It is great to see interest in active T model. :thumb:
Any three way active speaker will need 3 stereo or 6 mono amplification.So most likely you wont able to use a 4 channel amplifier to set up the speakers.If your 4 channel amp is a 9B,then you can use 2 for tweeter and 2 for mid range and you could buy a 4B to drive the woofer and of course 2x 6B SST2 would be the best choice which gives you total of 6 mono amps.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #516 on: 27 Jul 2012, 10:27 am »

Dave

Home Theater Matching Set

Surround Speaker or Stereo Pair

Center Speaker

Powered Subwoofer

DaveNote

« Reply #517 on: 27 Jul 2012, 11:30 am »
Thanks James for the improved pictures of the HT speakers.

Like the Model T, they look similar in outward appearance to Axiom speakers. The size and innards of the Model T of course differ. For example, where the Model T has 8" woofers, the M80 has 6" and is substantially larger.

Do you have any details on these speakers?

Dave

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #518 on: 27 Jul 2012, 11:36 am »
Thanks James for the improved pictures of the HT speakers.

Like the Model T, they look similar in outward appearance to Axiom speakers. The size and innards of the Model T of course differ. For example, where the Model T has 8" woofers, the M80 has 6" and is substantially larger.

Do you have any details on these speakers?

Dave

Hi Dave,

No details other than to keep all the drivers and polar responses the same when assembling a surround system and therefore the driver compliment must match as close as possible.

james

DaveNote

« Reply #519 on: 27 Jul 2012, 11:42 am »
Hi Dave,

No details other than to keep all the drivers and polar responses the same when assembling a surround system and therefore the driver compliment must match as close as possible.

james

Thanks, James. The whole setup looks impressive.

Dave