Bryston Loudspeakers

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #220 on: 21 Oct 2011, 09:50 pm »
So these definitely will go into production? If so, I believe I've found my ideal speaker!

PRELUDE

« Reply #221 on: 17 Nov 2011, 03:47 am »
Hi James
How is new speakers?Did you try the 10b yet or still working on DSP?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #222 on: 17 Nov 2011, 11:59 am »
Hi James
How is new speakers?Did you try the 10b yet or still working on DSP?

Hi PRELUDE

Yes - I think I have decided to go DSP on this project - there is just so much you can do with DSP in terms of tailoring the speaker requirements to the crossover network. I am unhappy with the current version of the crossover though as it is just a prototype and using generic chips and IC's. I find it does not have the transient speed and dynamics I was after.

So I am building a Bryston crossover using our Crystal Dacs and fully discrete Class-A operational amplifiers and fully balanced circuitry before I make a final decision.

James

gil99

« Reply #223 on: 17 Nov 2011, 12:35 pm »
Really like the esthetic of the speaker, but not sure about the white driver!  Any chance that black driver could be use.

Gil

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #224 on: 17 Nov 2011, 01:41 pm »
Really like the esthetic of the speaker, but not sure about the white driver!  Any chance that black driver could be use.

Gil

Hi Gil

I do not think so because I am using current drivers from a Canadian speaker company - I will ask. There are grills available as well.

Also I am going to increase the size (depth) of the front baffle for more rigidity and something interesting in the camber we noticed that we could really improve the resonance characteristics of the side panels by using different types of bracing on each side :thumb:

James

PRELUDE

« Reply #225 on: 17 Nov 2011, 05:48 pm »
Hi PRELUDE

Yes - I think I have decided to go DSP on this project - there is just so much you can do with DSP in terms of tailoring the speaker requirements to the crossover network. I am unhappy with the current version of the crossover though as it is just a prototype and using generic chips and IC's. I find it does not have the transient speed and dynamics I was after.

So I am building a Bryston crossover using our Crystal Dacs and fully discrete Class-A operational amplifiers and fully balanced circuitry before I make a final decision.

James
That is a good news to go with Bryston crossover and cannot wait to see it. :thumb:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #226 on: 17 Nov 2011, 07:01 pm »
Hi Volks,

Nothing in stone yet but it looks like we can get a good 17Hz to 24kHz within a DB or so and very very low distortion.

james

:o Got my attention now. My pet peve has always been lack of bass response below 35Hz for a full range speakers. If one desires bass down to the nether region one pays the Piper dearly for that. $$$$$ Maybe this will be the exception. Hoping

charles
SMA

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #227 on: 17 Nov 2011, 09:14 pm »
I agree.

VOLKS

« Reply #228 on: 23 Nov 2011, 07:49 pm »
Anymore news on when the speakers will be completed and if they will be for sale as a Bryston product and how much?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #229 on: 23 Nov 2011, 07:57 pm »
Anymore news on when the speakers will be completed and if they will be for sale as a Bryston product and how much?

Hi Volks,

Sorry no idea yet as I am waiting for the Bryston DSP crossover to be built before I go further with the idea.

james

VOLKS

« Reply #230 on: 23 Nov 2011, 11:44 pm »
Hi Volks,

Sorry no idea yet as I am waiting for the Bryston DSP crossover to be built before I go further with the idea.

james

Thanks James......................if all goes well......will this be for sale in the Bryston Lineup?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #231 on: 24 Nov 2011, 12:29 am »

Thanks James......................if all goes well......will this be for sale in the Bryston Lineup?

Hi Volks

Not sure - I am really doing this to provide myself with another listening tool.

James

SoundGame

« Reply #232 on: 6 Feb 2012, 07:52 pm »
Hi James,

I see you've updated your forum photo with what appears to be another iteration / latest version of your project active speaker.  Could you share some larger, closer shots?  Could you share where you are on this interesting journey? 

I believe the last prototype was lacking in dynamics and transient speed - have you made progress on this?  Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #233 on: 6 Feb 2012, 08:13 pm »
Hi James,

I see you've updated your forum photo with what appears to be another iteration / latest version of your project active speaker.  Could you share some larger, closer shots?  Could you share where you are on this interesting journey? 

I believe the last prototype was lacking in dynamics and transient speed - have you made progress on this?  Thanks.

Hi SoundGame,

It has been an interesting journey so far.

I have always felt that the main problem I have experienced with the many speakers I have owned has been 'dynamic compression' . When you hear a gun shot or a back fire in the real world the dynamics are huge. Most speakers I have owned (other than horns) always seem to lack the ability to recreate the dynamics of real life or real music. So my quest with this speaker was to produce a speaker capable of real world performance. I have played with double woofer single mid and tweeter, then double woofer, double mids, single tweeter. Was not happy so decided, screw it, lets go all out with a triple woofer, double mid and double tweeter and see what happens. This arrangement is heresy in the audiophile world I know but it really does seem to work well. :scratch:

Also we are just about finished with a Bryston version of the DSP electronic crossover I want to use with this speaker. Up till now I have been just using a generic chip based version of the crossover.  The Bryston will be a full discrete Class A circuit, Balanced inputs and outputs, will operate at 96/24 and have terrific power supply integrity and excellent noise and distortion figures on the order of 100 times better than the distortion of the generic chip version I was using.

james
« Last Edit: 8 Feb 2012, 11:58 pm by James Tanner »

SoundGame

« Reply #234 on: 6 Feb 2012, 08:23 pm »
Hi SoundGame,

It has been an interesting journey so far.

I have always felt that the main problem I have experienced with the many speakers I have owned has been 'dynamic compression' . When you hear a gun shot or a back fire in the real world the dynamics are huge. Most speakers I have owned (other than horns) always seem to lack the ability to recreate the dynamics of real life or real music. So my quest with this speaker was to produce a speaker capable of real world performance. I have played with double woofer single mid and tweeter, then double woofer, double mids, single tweeter. Was not happy so decided, screw it, lets go all out with a triple woofer, double mid and double tweeter and see what happens. This arrangement is heresy in the audiophile world I know but it really does seem to work well. :scratch:

Also we are just about finished with a Bryston version of the DSP electronic crossover I want to use with this speaker. Up till now I have been just using a generic chip based version of the crossover.  The Bryston will be a full Class A circuit, Balanced inputs and outputs, will operate at 96/24 and have terrific power supply integrity and excellent noise and distortion g\figures on the order of 100 times better than the distortion of the generic chip version I was using.

james

It's great to be able to just go for it.  You have a vision in mind and you're designing accordingly - that's how great things get made, acknowledging the the R&D is costly and there are many hurdles along the way.

I'm sure in your quest for dynamics, impact and transient reponse (your gun shot analogy makes this clear) other complications will arise such as integrating the drivers to make them sound as if they are operating as one single driver / point source. 

Excuse me for my ignorance but with an active crossover and DSP, would you still have cross-over points between the drivers - I'm assuming so?  What are they looking like at the moment?  Is this 7 driver, 3-way or a 7 driver, 7-way?  How discrete are the frequency band separations i.e. the steepness in the roll-off?

Don't forget those pics - close-ups please.   :thumb:

SoundGame

« Reply #235 on: 6 Feb 2012, 08:26 pm »
Oh, I'm sure you've already thought about going the Pipedream route with many very fast responding small drivers in an array fashion.  That would get you the quickness, though you need to add a lot of drivers to get the volume of air you need to move.

SoundGame

« Reply #236 on: 6 Feb 2012, 08:28 pm »
Oh and James - in your experience, what is the most dynamic, fastest speaker you've come across that uses conventional drivers?  I'm assuming it's an active one. :o

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #237 on: 6 Feb 2012, 08:30 pm »
Oh and James - in your experience, what is the most dynamic, fastest speaker you've come across that uses conventional drivers?  I'm assuming it's an active one. :o

PMC - BB5 Active stack

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #238 on: 6 Feb 2012, 08:32 pm »

I have looked at the 'line source' idea but the experts tell me in order to be a 'true line source' it MUST extend floor to ceiling.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #239 on: 6 Feb 2012, 08:34 pm »
Excuse me for my ignorance but with an active crossover and DSP, would you still have cross-over points between the drivers - I'm assuming so?  What are they looking like at the moment?  Is this 7 driver, 3-way or a 7 driver, 7-way?  How discrete are the frequency band separations i.e. the steepness in the roll-off?

Don't forget those pics - close-ups please.   :thumb:
[/quote]

Yes crossovers are still used - currently 380HZ and 3.8K.  The speaker would be a 3-way.  There are things you can do with a DSP which are very much more difficult in the analog domain - so controlling the drivers on and off axis response (great power response)  looks promising.

james