Latest Candela Tube Roll

martinr

Latest Candela Tube Roll
« on: 17 Aug 2015, 02:54 pm »
Hi all,

I wanted to quickly post regarding a recent tube upgrade to my Candela.  For the past few years I had been using Amperex 12Au7's made in Holland in the 60's.  The tubes were over three years old and I though it was time to refresh.  Prior to the Amperexs I had been using CBS HYTRON 12Au7's, IMO the Amperex tubes sounded a little cleaner and a bit more refined than the Hytrons (although they cost more).  A few months ago I purchased a pair of Mullard CV4003 / 12AU7 Vintage New Old Stock hand picked and cryoed by Kevin Deal upscale Audio,  These were not cheap, $113.00 each but I thought if I need to re-tube every 3 to 5 years the cost should be worth it. Bottom line...IMO these tubes sound more Tube like or "tubey" than the Amperexs.  Bass extension is greater and the system (Candela, Stratos- Kismet hybrids, VR-4 Gen III Sr. with hovland mods fed by a marantz multi disc changer through a monarchy audio DIP upsampler into a Channel Island Audio DAC, power supply)has more "air around vocals and instruments.  Front to back soundstage has increased and the Mullard tubes are faster than the Amperexs (which surprised me).  Musical notes seem to be presented in a faster and I believe more accurate manner than with the Amperex tubes.  This has been the best tube upgrade I have experienced with the Candela.  Anyway, I haven't posted in a while and wanted to share my experience.  I will probably purchase from Upscale Audio when its time to "retube" in the future.

- Martin

Phil A

Re: Latest Candela Tube Roll
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2015, 07:20 pm »
Out of curiosity have you tried these (I'm using them that's why I ask) - http://www.synergyhifi.com/xproduct.asp?pid=154

martinr

« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2015, 10:41 pm »
Phil,

No I haven't tried those....have you compared them to other tubes in the Candela?

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 18 Aug 2015, 12:54 am »
Phil,

No I haven't tried those....have you compared them to other tubes in the Candela?
Only the stock ones that came with the unit.  There are a bunch of reviews of various Synergy tubes (e.g. http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/synergy/300B.html).  I also have a Modwright LS36.5DM preamp and had 5AR4s made by Mullard and found I like the Synergy tubes better.

martinr

« Reply #4 on: 18 Aug 2015, 01:22 pm »
Ill look into these...thanks!

AlTran

« Reply #5 on: 19 Aug 2015, 03:31 am »
IMHO, the Mullard is lack of details, lack of bass, and mid is too thin, no meat. 7316 Amperex is way way way better than the Mullard. I'm having the Psvane 12au7 MK II in my candela and the results are amazing from top to bottom. Every little micro details is presence, bass extension is the most real thing. The mid range is to die for. That's only how it sounds in my system.

BeerCan

« Reply #6 on: 19 Aug 2015, 03:46 pm »
I don't have a Candela but My Unico uses 12au7 in the preamp section and I have enjoyed the Radiotechnique 12AU7 in that position.  I find them one of the most dynamic 12au7's I have ever used.

erniek

« Reply #7 on: 19 Aug 2015, 06:19 pm »
I am also wondering what next step upgrade path to take from the standard tubes that came with my Candela. Any suggestions for tubes that will improve clarity and still sound warm?

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #8 on: 19 Aug 2015, 06:32 pm »

erniek-

I've always had good luck with Amperex Bugle Boys giving a nice detailed soundstage, almost holographic while still being a little warm or musical.

martinr

« Reply #9 on: 21 Aug 2015, 01:36 am »
IMHO, the Mullard is lack of details, lack of bass, and mid is too thin, no meat. 7316 Amperex is way way way better than the Mullard. I'm having the Psvane 12au7 MK II in my candela and the results are amazing from top to bottom. Every little micro details is presence, bass extension is the most real thing. The mid range is to die for. That's only how it sounds in my system.
AlTran...have you tried cryoed Mullards from Kevin Deal??? I find the exact opposite of what you describe........each system is different of course...

martinr

« Reply #10 on: 21 Aug 2015, 01:45 am »
I am also wondering what next step upgrade path to take from the standard tubes that came with my Candela. Any suggestions for tubes that will improve clarity and still sound warm?
Ernie,  There are links to 12AU7 tube reviews in some of the older Candela tube rolling threads......as you can see from the few comments on my post, tubes vary in taste from user to user.   The CBS Hytrons for around $50 each were agreed upon by some to work well in the Candela  a few years ago.....I took the plunge with the cryoed Mullards from upscale audio and was happy with the results but as you can see from AlTrans post not everyone has had a good experience with the Mullards.  The good thing is if you  don't like a set of tubes you can always sell them and try another set....Good Luck!
- Martin

AlTran

« Reply #11 on: 21 Aug 2015, 06:57 pm »
Martinr, no I did not try the cryo Mullards from Upscale, as I had bad experience in purchasing gears from them many years ago. My friend let me tried a pair of CV491 which to me is edgy, blurry & lack of punch. I agree with you that these tubes work differently in each system, depending on which gears matching & cables & room. For my system, I would prefer either the Psvane or the 7316 Amperex. You should check out the 7316. 

martinr

« Reply #12 on: 22 Aug 2015, 01:50 pm »
My Mullards are the CV003...different than the CV491.....I had amperex in before...in my system the Mullards really stand out.....may be due to the Cryo treatment, not sure.  A good test of a system IMO is when your wife walks down the stairs, hears the system with the upgrade for the first time and says something like "I don't know what you did, but I really like it"!...which is what my wife said after I put in the Mullards.... :thumb:

AlTran

« Reply #13 on: 2 Sep 2015, 06:56 pm »
Martinr, that's great compliment from the boss of the home. Her comment is the most important comment. Ever since I put in the PSVANE, my wife only said 1 thing "please play Temptation by Diana Krall, open a bottle of wine, & bring me 2 glasses." Btw, my listening room is my garage, she approved funding for a complete remodel to turn it into a real listening room.

LateApex

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jan 2016, 02:15 am »
Has anyone tried the Telefunken 12AU7 smooth-plate in the Candela? 

It's got a good reputation among 12AU7's and looks to have a nice cost/availability ratio.

I'm tempted to roll it in, replacing my RCA clear-tops.   Thanks for any feedback!

bunky

« Reply #15 on: 7 Jan 2016, 11:45 pm »
Has anyone tried the Telefunken 12AU7 smooth-plate in the Candela? 

It's got a good reputation among 12AU7's and looks to have a nice cost/availability ratio.

I'm tempted to roll it in, replacing my RCA clear-tops.   Thanks for any feedback!
I just bought a 1960's NOS pair of Telefunken ECC82 smooth plates. Klaus is waiting for my Candela chrome faceplate to come back from the guy in Indy who does the plating. once I get my Candela I have six pairs of tubes that I want to roll and I will post my impressions. thanks, William

Longandstraight

« Reply #16 on: 19 Jan 2016, 12:46 am »
Hi All,
Just ordered a Candela to go with my Kismets. First thing is to rip out the stock tubes.
So My system consists of an Aurender N100 > Modwright Oppo 105d> soon to be Candela > Mono Kismets>Merlin VSM MXR. I certainly don't mind buying tubes but when you pay 200 a pair, with a 20% re-stock, I need to choose wisely.  Not familiar with 12au7, as the tube gear I have had are 6n7's.
I need something with some meat in the upper base-lower midrange and not to extended to where is gets edgy in the highs.
Any ideas?
thanks,
Russ     

bunky

« Reply #17 on: 2 Mar 2016, 01:21 am »
I have had my Beautiful new chrome faceplate Candela with Mundorf caps and WBT Nextgen RCA connections and all the other good stuff for the past few weeks. I have a bevy of really nice 12AU7 tubes to roll. I am currently running a very nice pair of circa 1960 Valvo Hamburg ECC82 short plates and these are very good sounding 12AU7s from top to midrange to bottom. I would recommend them without any reservations. kind of scarce but worth the effort if you can find a good pair.

AlTran

« Reply #18 on: 2 Mar 2016, 06:02 pm »
I have more than 200 pieces of 12au7 to roll. The only rare ones such as ECC802, Mullard 10M, & Mazda, I basically have all the other ones including Amperex 7316 D, big O, & small O, but at the end I'm now using the PSVANE 12AU7 MK II which gives me the best results overall musicality and most balanced throughout regardless of type of music. The PSVANE is very reasonably priced. It also depended on your own taste of music and personal preferences. Included in my favorites, Amperex 7316 small O getter is my second favorite then RCA black long plate D getter, RCA Clear top, & some of the organs tubes such as Baldwin, Hammond, & Conn.

questz1z

« Reply #19 on: 14 Mar 2016, 12:17 am »
I just came across a matched set of GE long gray plate 5963s and was wondering if anyone had tried these in the Candela? I know the maximum plate voltage is less than a standard 12au7, 330v for the 12au7 and 250v for the 5963, but the tube seems pretty rugged and I was wanting to give them a try without having to worry about causing a problem in the preamp.