2011 Mazda 3 2.5S Hatchback <20k miles!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
2011 Mazda 3 2.5S Hatchback <20k miles!
« on: 18 Jul 2017, 05:27 pm »
I've stumbled upon an opportunity to buy a slightly used Mazda3. However, I know very little about this vehicle. Anyone out there have experience with this model? Issues, bad press, quality, etc. are all welcome.

I'll have more details later, but I believe the super low mileage. It's a sport package (not that I need it) with 18" wheels, sunroof, automatic transmission. It's never been in an accident.  I can buy it for approximately $11k to 12k USD. This car is in Taiwan and would be my primary vehicle whenever we're there. [Since we're there only for half of each year, it will continue to have low mileage for the foreseeable future.]

I know the guy who is selling it, and I know he has driven it very little since he bought it new.

Talk me into it or talk me out of it.

Thanks,

Michael

dolsey01

Re: 2011 Mazda 3 2.5S Hatchback <20k miles!
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2017, 06:34 pm »
Probably not an issue in Taiwan, but here in the North East, I notice allot of rust on these era Mazdas, especially on the trunk/back Mazda logo area and also on the wheel arches. 

Mostly likely all due to the salt used on the roads here but wanted to mention it anyhow.

JakeJ

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2017, 07:53 pm »
Michael, is it a Mazdaspeed version?  I had one of these and they are double for almost all maintenance over a non-speed version.  The speed version has a turbocharger (not that turbos are bad per se) and this adds to the overall cost of maintenance.  Dumped mine after a year.

Also I was not impressed by the cockpit ergonomics, I recommend you sit in the driver's seat and see what you think.  Just my opinion so take that with a grain of salt.

mresseguie

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2017, 03:55 am »
Thanks, guys. I will find out if it's a  Mazdaspeed version.

I've driven a Mazda3 sedan before and I wasn't impressed. This model wouldn't be on my short list of choices normally, but the low mileage and the fact that I know the guy combined to make me consider it. If it's going to be a maintenance black hole, I certainly don't want it. I let you know what I learn.

Michael

megabigeye

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jul 2017, 12:53 pm »
I'm not sure the Mazdaspeed version was available where you are.  If so, it may be called the Mazda3 MPS. 
The negatives for this car are a harsh ride and poor gas mileage; it was the 2012 model that the engine was upgraded and gets better mileage.

JakeJ

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jul 2017, 02:45 pm »
Mine was a 2010.  Completely forgot about the bad MPG.  Fill up, get on the freeway, set cruise, get off freeway, fill up, I would get 23-24 MPG.  Just jetting around town I was down in the teens.  Still it was fun a ride.  That said my '00 SAAB 93 2.3T had more pull when I stabbed the pedal and on a freeway drive it got 32 MPG all day long. :o

Still pissed SAAB threw in the towel and was swallowed whole by a Chinese investor group.  They make EVs now, but I suppose it doesn't matter as we'll all be driving electrics in the next 20 years.  Except for the uber rich and they will drive whatever they want to.

mresseguie

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jul 2017, 04:03 pm »
More info.

It is not a Mazdaspeed. It's got the 2.5L engine with automatic transmission. I watched a couple 2.5S hatchback videos last night and noticed the engine noise is pretty loud. That's a negative for me. Both interior and exterior are black which will be hotter than Hell in summer in Taiwan (another negative). Mileage is still a plus as the actual number is 16,000 miles.

The guy is relocating back to the U.S., so he is eager to sell it. I'm just not excited at this point. The price is about right and mileage is low. Dunno. I'll find a similar model today to get a feel for it.

Thanks for your great replies!

Michael