Beacon Three Amplifier Upgrades

gooberdude

Re: Beacon Three Amplifier Upgrades
« Reply #20 on: 6 Mar 2011, 11:42 pm »
I don't have any prior experience with either, and i'd bet the cryo'd vampires are good going by all the positive feedback online about the copper Vampires you use.

Years ago i heard a clearly positive difference after installing silver CMC rca plugs on a Belles hot rod amp, and have been sold on using good ones ever since.  i can't afford the pricey WBT or others, since i need 8 or 9 pairs total between 2 pieces of gear.

Blair's circuit design is just awesome, so i'm not expecting any game changing sonic benefits by using different parts. 

guest1632

« Reply #21 on: 7 Mar 2011, 11:16 am »
I bought the DH Labs copper rca's for the Beacon III, and a set for my NS-15 amp as well.  Ordered everything from partsconnexion.

They cost the same as cryo'd Vampires, and are made in the USA. win-win

Thanks for the info Ray.  Your description of being able to 'feel' the tip much better is a great sales point.  I'd much rather use an Exacto knife than a butcher's cleaver anyday!  Seems like the lead free solder has advanced soldering station designs, and the good ones don't cost much $.

Hi Matt,

So how much for the DH Labs RCA connectors? Blair can chime in here, but as for solder, just get a roll of Kester 245 solder and be done. Now, if you really have to get good stuff, you can find the wonder solder, or just go to RadShack, and get a little sample of there silver solder which works ok too. The nonlead stuff can be a bit tricky to work with. This solder stuff probably should be in the Lab, but I'm kinda interested now that this topic has been brought up, what solder do you use Blair?

Ray Bronk

gooberdude

« Reply #22 on: 15 Mar 2011, 10:49 pm »
Ray, the DH Labs rca's aren't very expensive, $20 per pair or so.

Its kinda funny - when push came to shove the final upgrade to the Beacon III was turning it into a Beacon IV SE   :lol:

One thing i learned through the order process is that Beacon III & up are a similar preamp, but the extra stages (for options like tone control, etc) may require additional tubes. Each tube adds a # to the preamps name. Blair might clarify that statement a bit if i'm way off.

I have to thank Blair again for being so patient. 

matt

guest1632

« Reply #23 on: 20 Mar 2011, 05:06 am »
Ray, the DH Labs rca's aren't very expensive, $20 per pair or so.

Its kinda funny - when push came to shove the final upgrade to the Beacon III was turning it into a Beacon IV SE   :lol:

One thing i learned through the order process is that Beacon III & up are a similar preamp, but the extra stages (for options like tone control, etc) may require additional tubes. Each tube adds a # to the preamps name. Blair might clarify that statement a bit if i'm way off.

I have to thank Blair again for being so patient. 

matt

Hi Matt,

Most interested to see what you think of the Beacon 3. When do you expect arrival?

Ray Bronk

gooberdude

« Reply #24 on: 20 Mar 2011, 06:27 pm »
I'm not sure how long construction will take. I sent the NS-15 amp to Blair as well, so he can freshen a few things and add the DC filament upgrade. 

Blair almost had me talked into turning the NS-15 into an NS-40, but my finances wont allow for it right now. Sounds like that is the amp to have.

The amp & parts for the Beacon IV should arrive at Blairs shop tomorrow, so the countdown begins then.   :green:

matt

guest1632

« Reply #25 on: 26 Mar 2011, 10:25 pm »
I'm not sure how long construction will take. I sent the NS-15 amp to Blair as well, so he can freshen a few things and add the DC filament upgrade. 

Blair almost had me talked into turning the NS-15 into an NS-40, but my finances wont allow for it right now. Sounds like that is the amp to have.

The amp & parts for the Beacon IV should arrive at Blairs shop tomorrow, so the countdown begins then.   :green:

matt

Hi Matt,

Wel, Blair ain't seemingly gonna chime in. Probably to busy building stuff. Well, will be most interested in what you get and how it sounds. I'm looking forward to what happens next. Things ar a bit dull around here.

Ray Bronk

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #26 on: 28 Mar 2011, 11:46 am »
I've been extremely busy with orders as well as other things- but it's all been positive!

gooberdude

« Reply #27 on: 28 Mar 2011, 09:37 pm »
There ain't nothing wrong with busy!    :thumb:

guest1632

« Reply #28 on: 28 Mar 2011, 11:26 pm »
There ain't nothing wrong with busy!    :thumb:

Yep, and idleness is the Devil's playground. Glad to see Blair is busy, uh, ... making your Beacon #?

Ray Bronk

dangerbird

« Reply #29 on: 29 Mar 2011, 12:07 am »
I've been extremely busy with orders as well as other things- but it's all been positive!

Thats a good thing,,take your time with mine--if you feel the least bit of anxiety,,work on someones else's,,just kidding--glad that you are busy. 8)

Guy 13

« Reply #30 on: 29 Mar 2011, 12:53 am »
Hi Blair and all Audio Circle members.
Do you have a recession in the USA ?
Sure don't look like it !
Danny, Ruben and Blair and many others are all super busy.
The recession is not for the audio business, thatès for sure...
Guy 13

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #31 on: 29 Mar 2011, 12:55 am »
The recession is not for the audio business, thatès for sure...
Guy 13

Oh really?   :nono:

Guy 13

« Reply #32 on: 29 Mar 2011, 06:46 am »
Oh really?   :nono:
Hi jtwrace and all Audio Circle members.
What ?
You don't agree with me jtwrace ?
Won't be the first, neither the last time... (LOL)
Guy 13

guest1632

« Reply #33 on: 20 May 2011, 08:28 am »

matt

Hi Matt,

Any news yet? I haven't been on much. Been dealing with a major ear infection, which looks like it will shorten my days for being an audiophile. I'm hoping that this round of antibioautics will resolve this problem. That's all my wife needs is a blind and half deaf man. lol. So, ... we shall see.

Ray Bronk

rpf

« Reply #34 on: 20 May 2011, 02:36 pm »
Good luck with the treatment course, Ray. Hoping it works well for you.  :thumb:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #35 on: 20 May 2011, 02:59 pm »
  Ray all the best. Our prayers are with you.

charles

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #36 on: 21 May 2011, 07:30 pm »
I hope everything goes well for you too.

gooberdude

« Reply #37 on: 2 Jun 2011, 02:23 am »
I'm still waiting, ever anxiously.   :green:

Ray, how is your ear?

guest1632

« Reply #38 on: 4 Jun 2011, 11:41 am »
I'm still waiting, ever anxiously.   :green:

Ray, how is your ear?

Hi all,

Well, the ears are coming back to almost normal. There is still some high freq loss, but I guess it's just the age catching up to me. My wife will be 60 this Sunday, and I will be 59 in another two months.
Hey Blair, you almost got his B3 or B4 done yet?

Ray Bronk

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #39 on: 5 Jun 2011, 03:39 pm »
Now that the onslaught of computers has passed, I can work in the shop regularly. I will have more news as time progresses. The business was INCREDIBLE, but it the price was falling behind.

There are some truly incredible looking units coming out soon that have VERY nice color & wood options, plus some new takes on upgrades.

Hi all,

Well, the ears are coming back to almost normal. There is still some high freq loss, but I guess it's just the age catching up to me. My wife will be 60 this Sunday, and I will be 59 in another two months.
Hey Blair, you almost got his B3 or B4 done yet?

Ray Bronk