Organic Eggs

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Organic Eggs
« Reply #20 on: 21 Aug 2009, 01:14 pm »
We eat "organic" food and use recycled products as much as possible.  My wife is a vegetarian on humanitarian ground.  I am not giving up my meat but I have agreed to do my best to support those farmers and hunters who are not cruel.  So, free range organic fed eggs are what I get.  Having been to some of eggs and chicken factories in Eastern Shore, I go with "free range" now.  I am not proselytizing -- just saying why I do it.  They taste good too.  Grass fed, free range beef also taste good.

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #21 on: 21 Aug 2009, 02:45 pm »
I'm reading an interesting book now called "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes. A good summary can be found here:
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=3654291&page=1

I have a chicken named Fred that produces my eggs, he roams free (except at night.)  I talk to him, we play "pick a feather" and I play bluegrass music for him.  He seems very happy and I taste it in his eggs.  I had a goat cheese and spinach omellette this morning and we both feel good about it.  I'm still trying to make a connection with Javier the goat.

Tim S

« Reply #22 on: 21 Aug 2009, 07:21 pm »
One of us is clearly confused. You have a chicken named Fred and HE produces your eggs?  :scratch: There are either a lot of hormones involved there or you have a rooster who steals eggs from your neighbor.  :lol:

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #23 on: 21 Aug 2009, 08:22 pm »
You win!  The first to catch it (all?) or the first who cared to bother to amuse my TGIF humor.

Cheers.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #24 on: 21 Aug 2009, 08:36 pm »
I thought you meant Frederica. :icon_lol:

Philistine

« Reply #25 on: 21 Aug 2009, 11:08 pm »
All this egg talk had me salivating - so picked up some Gruyere cheese today to make a nice omelette this evening  :drool: 

I'm not sure what this chicken talk is all about?  My eggs came from a box with a yellow liquid inside - who needs chickens :thumb: 

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #26 on: 21 Aug 2009, 11:32 pm »
Hmm....The hormones that were fed to the chicken that laid this egg packed a punch. :o :lol:

Cheerwino

« Reply #27 on: 21 Aug 2009, 11:53 pm »
I'm reading an interesting book now called "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes. A good summary can be found here:
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=3654291&page=1

"Good Calories, Bad Calories" is an awesome book! Truly changed my life! Highly recommended.
I'm curious about a new one called "The Vegetarian Myth": http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/lipid-hypothesis/the-vegetarian-myth/

richidoo

« Reply #28 on: 22 Aug 2009, 01:29 am »
Black Sand Audio posted this on AN today:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #29 on: 22 Aug 2009, 01:42 am »
Richi-  You funny.

Philistine

« Reply #30 on: 22 Aug 2009, 02:10 pm »
Having joked about 'egg in a box' yesterday my real position is 100% in support of organic free range eggs.  In the early 80's I bought free range eggs from a farm in the Belgium Ardennes, at the time it was difficult to find free range organic eggs in the UK.  The difference was amazing, I'd forgotten what eggs tasted like.  Unfortunately I would also project that the majority of US and UK consumers have no clue what a real egg tastes like.

I also believe Mrs BRM has it on the nail with hormones in the food chain, it doesn't take too much mental gymnastics to extrapolate that this isn't smart for the human race.  In addition I would include high fructose corn syrup as a big no no, it's a major ingredient in processed food in the US and something I go to great lengths to avoid.  When I make my annual trip (if I can avoid it) to the local mall it's depressing to see the obese people stuffing themselves with doughnuts and cinnabons.  The worst diets in the world are the US and the UK, I would guess that these two nations have the highest obesity rates in the world as a direct consequence of this.  When I go to a restaurant in Italy the focus is on quality, in the US it's quantity - here in the US a great dinner is when you're completely stuffed and you need a doggy bag, in Italy taking home food is a major insult.  I could go on, my target is to eat as healthily as possible - lecture over.

Brown

« Reply #31 on: 25 Aug 2009, 03:09 pm »
Wether its eggs or anything else non organic its the processing of the food thats the problem. the digestive enzymes are destroyed during the processing making it much harder for one to digest the food.
   Another consideration is the proper foods for ones blood type. Foe me as a type "O" meat is a key to our metabolism working properly. Lean organic meats. No pork, dairy, wheat or vinegar based products for us. The key is to keep ones system alkaline in lieu of acidic. My wife who is a cancer survivor has changed her life for the better ever since we decided to give this science a try. After 2 years many of her meds are NO LONGER REQUIRED. My Mom who is 82 now no longer requires blood pressure or cholesteral meds. Our doctor now reccomends eating for your blood type.
   BTW organic farm fresh eggs rule in taste in our opinion. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #32 on: 25 Aug 2009, 03:29 pm »
Agree.  My wife has lowered her dad's sugar through natural supplementation and his doctor is clueless (different issue).

mjosef

« Reply #33 on: 25 Aug 2009, 04:04 pm »
...its the processing of the food thats the problem...The key is to keep ones system alkaline in lieu of acidic../

these two quotes are part of the real crux of the problems people experience with the modern diet.  One leads into the other, highly processed food consumption tilts the natural alkaline balance of the body to the acidic side.
Unfortunately, the current lifestyle relies on the magic bullet( drugs) to ease our discomforts (ailments).

Christof

« Reply #34 on: 25 Aug 2009, 10:37 pm »
I buy the mystery cartons from the local farmers market....this week they were all brown and blue :o  IMO there is a big difference in a fresh free range egg and the generic grocery store eggs.  A family friend of mine had a huge chicken farm (factory) that I visited too many times when I was growing up......talk about disgusting. 

http://www.foodincmovie.com/#

some young guy

« Reply #35 on: 26 Aug 2009, 12:37 am »
I definitely prefer organic eggs.  I find an even more profound difference in milk.  We switched to Horizon organic when my child started drinking milk.  It is hugely expensive, but so much better than regular old hormoned up milk.  I never liked fat free milk, but the Horizon stuff is creamy and delicious.  The whole milk is almost too rich to drink.  Plus, it may actually help prevent an earlier than normal onset of puberty for my daughter, which is pretty much priceless I think.  I'd like to hold that off  until she is about 25...
Ditto

jimdgoulding

« Reply #36 on: 26 Aug 2009, 06:00 am »
Wether its eggs or anything else non organic its the processing of the food thats the problem. the digestive enzymes are destroyed during the processing making it much harder for one to digest the food.
   Another consideration is the proper foods for ones blood type. Foe me as a type "O" meat is a key to our metabolism working properly. Lean organic meats. No pork, dairy, wheat or vinegar based products for us. The key is to keep ones system alkaline in lieu of acidic. My wife who is a cancer survivor has changed her life for the better ever since we decided to give this science a try. After 2 years many of her meds are NO LONGER REQUIRED. My Mom who is 82 now no longer requires blood pressure or cholesteral meds. Our doctor now reccomends eating for your blood type.
   BTW organic farm fresh eggs rule in taste in our opinion.
I eat a lot of turkey and chicken.  Some of the former is processed sandwich meat.  That bad?  Appreciate some suggestions.  Thanks.

mjosef

« Reply #37 on: 26 Aug 2009, 06:13 am »
...processed sandwich meat

Very bad.  :lol:
Every bite represents a thousand different fowls. Imagine that...one sick fowl is all it takes.
If...we are what we eat... :scratch:

I grew up around chickens, and there were times when it was my turn to fetch the Sunday meat...its amazing how a chicken can run around with no head( ie if its not held down firmly  :oops:).

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #38 on: 26 Aug 2009, 06:15 am »
Herbie....
Just like tasting wine (or eggs), listening to music is subjective--an art more so than a science. Trying too much to make listening to music a science can be a sour pickle, as can trying to prove your case to skeptics. None of us are psychos who are "hearing things." If you hear a better clarity in your music, a more natural tone, a more engaging listening experience, so be it. Appreciate what you hear and enjoy the music.

Well said Steve....it is about the music.... :dance: