Fritz Speakers Carbon 7s - A Review

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: Fritz Speakers Carbon 7s - A Review
« Reply #40 on: 7 Feb 2011, 03:26 am »
I got a pair.  My curiosity got the best of me.  I must say, I am highly impressed.  For awhile I didn't consider them because of the price...to low.   I mean, in my narrow mind (at the time)how can something in that price range sound good enough?   Well, the Fritz Carbon 7s are more than good enough.  What is not to like?  They image well, have great bass, VERY good highs without sounding the least bit harsh, nice mids, coherent, and most of all musical and fun.

You really can't go wrong with Scan-Speak drivers, highs & sweet midrange to die for. I really gotta hear them in my system someday,,, as soon as I can find a job.  :duh:

Cheers,
Robin

Afterimage

« Reply #41 on: 7 Feb 2011, 03:58 am »
Congrats.  Now how about a couple of photos to show those beauties off.

You know, I have never posted pictures before.  I don't know how.  I'm sure it is not to hard.  For amplification I have been using a modded Unison Unico SE and the combo was stellar.   However, I have a tube out now.  Other than that I have a Herron preamp (VTSP 3a) which is awesome and Aspen's new Flagship power amp, the Maya-11 on the way.
A couple of people, including Fritz says the Van Alstine Insight 240, I think, is a great combo with the Carbon 7s.   

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #42 on: 8 Feb 2011, 01:40 am »
I got a pair.  My curiosity got the best of me.  I must say, I am highly impressed.  For awhile I didn't consider them because of the price...to low.   I mean, in my narrow mind (at the time)how can something in that price range sound good enough?   Well, the Fritz Carbon 7s are more than good enough.  What is not to like?  They image well, have great bass, VERY good highs without sounding the least bit harsh, nice mids, coherent, and most of all musical and fun.

Congrats, Afterimage!!  :thumb:  Time to start listening to that music collection all over again!  :D

Have fun,
Jerry

Afterimage

« Reply #43 on: 9 Feb 2011, 03:54 pm »
indeed Jerry, that is what I have been doing.  One nit pick though.  I notice these need some volume to sound their best.  At 75 to 85 decibels, which is the levels I normally listen, everything is there.  Below that, it doesn't have the dynamics or details.  Now, with that said, it could be the amp.  My main amp is in the shop.  I borrowed an amp from a friend, actually I used to own this amp, so that may be the reason.  It is a Sim W3.  I had a modded Unison Unico SE in the system when I first got the Carbon 7s a couple of weeks ago.  Wow, that was a great combo.  Alive and kicking!!  I was having fun so I never really tried the late night low level listening with it.  However, now it has a tube out.  So when I get my main amp back, I will try it out and test low level listening. 

jriggy

« Reply #44 on: 9 Feb 2011, 04:05 pm »
The Carbon 7's have as much or more detail and micro dynamics as I have heard in other high end designs but it is presented naturally without that ear bleed that often follows after extended listening

That also sounds like your nice cables at work there too, Alex  :thumb:

Jason

Pez

« Reply #45 on: 9 Feb 2011, 04:27 pm »
Just want to add my 2 cents. Fritz speakers are great. regardless of the price, among the most beautiful looking speakers I have ever seen. And as has already been mentioned 1000 times. Fritz is one of the shining examples of a great person overall as well as someone to deal with.

wywires

« Reply #46 on: 9 Feb 2011, 04:55 pm »
That also sounds like your nice cables at work there too, Alex  :thumb:

Jason

There is no substitute for great speakers!

jriggy

« Reply #47 on: 9 Feb 2011, 06:02 pm »
There is no substitute for great speakers!
Amen to that!
I just thought your statement ALSO sounded like a characteristic of your cables, from what I heard... It was a complement, but definitely not meant to take anything away from these seemingly great speakers... I am reading and wondering if they would be nice in my secondary system.

wywires

« Reply #48 on: 9 Feb 2011, 06:06 pm »
Amen to that!
I just thought your statement ALSO sounded like a characteristic of your cables, from what I heard... It was a complement, but definitely not meant to take anything away from these seemingly great speakers... I am reading and wondering if they would be nice in my secondary system.

Or your primary system.

jriggy

« Reply #49 on: 9 Feb 2011, 06:13 pm »
Or your primary system.
Yep! These speakers, judging from the comments around, sound like they would be great in my main room too. But the Ulysses are happy there.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #50 on: 10 Feb 2011, 02:26 am »
indeed Jerry, that is what I have been doing.  One nit pick though.  I notice these need some volume to sound their best.  At 75 to 85 decibels, which is the levels I normally listen, everything is there.  Below that, it doesn't have the dynamics or details.  Now, with that said, it could be the amp.  My main amp is in the shop.  I borrowed an amp from a friend, actually I used to own this amp, so that may be the reason.  It is a Sim W3.  I had a modded Unison Unico SE in the system when I first got the Carbon 7s a couple of weeks ago.  Wow, that was a great combo.  Alive and kicking!!  I was having fun so I never really tried the late night low level listening with it.  However, now it has a tube out.  So when I get my main amp back, I will try it out and test low level listening.

Low level casual listening is what I used to dial in the best speaker placement. While I found the Carbons to be easy to place, detail at low levels was most notable when they were placed where they belonged. They really got super-nice when they were a few inches more into the room and a bit wider apart then my normal speaks.

You're right, though, maybe it's the borrrowed amp. It might be speaker break in, or a combination of both.  :scratch:

Listening to music below 75 db makes me just want to turn it up, anyway.  :D

Have fun,
Jerry

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #51 on: 10 Feb 2011, 04:01 am »

For $30, I would highly recommend you try a set of EVS Ground Enhancers on the negative terminal of the Carbon 7's. If they do for your Scan Speak drivers what they did for my Lorelei's Scan Speak drivers, your ears will thank you for it. You can read more about thse little grounding gems here but from what you are describing, these could very well be the answer to your low volume dynamics issue. If you like what they do on the speaker end, you can always try another set on the negative terminals of your amp,,,, and you can always send them back if they don't work out. It's hands down the best bang for the buck tweak I've ever done for my system.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Afterimage

« Reply #52 on: 10 Feb 2011, 04:15 am »
Thanks for the tip satfrat.   I will check into those for sure.  I am crazy and will try anything in auido, but at least these are not that expensive.  :D 

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #53 on: 10 Feb 2011, 04:23 am »
Thanks for the tip satfrat.   I will check into those for sure.  I am crazy and will try anything in auido, but at least these are not that expensive.  :D

Ditto.  :lol:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #54 on: 10 Feb 2011, 04:33 am »

For $30, I would highly recommend you try a set of EVS Ground Enhancers on the negative terminal of the Carbon 7's. If they do for your Scan Speak drivers what they did for my Lorelei's Scan Speak drivers, your ears will thank you for it. You can read more about thse little grounding gems here but from what you are describing, these could very well be the answer to your low volume dynamics issue. If you like what they do on the speaker end, you can always try another set on the negative terminals of your amp,,,, and you can always send them back if they don't work out. It's hands down the best bang for the buck tweak I've ever done for my system.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Robin is correct..... :thumb:

I've had a pair of Carbon 7 speakers here on loan from Fritz....they were in NY, and he asked me to give them a listen and take care of them for awhile. I first heard them at RMAF 2009.

So far....nice speaker....relaxed and warm....easy to listen to. :thumb:

Had a chance to grab a pair of the EVS Ground Enhancers from a fellow Raver (Fred)....and put them on the 7's....wow...they really work. 8)

A jump in the dynamics...and more focus....pretty neat. And yes, their on the negative terminal of the Carbon 7's.

Try them.... :thumb:

Mudslide

« Reply #55 on: 10 Feb 2011, 05:54 am »
Robin is correct..... :thumb:

I've had a pair of Carbon 7 speakers here on loan from Fritz....they were in NY, and he asked me to give them a listen and take care of them for awhile. I first heard them at RMAF 2009.

So far....nice speaker....relaxed and warm....easy to listen to. :thumb:

Had a chance to grab a pair of the EVS Ground Enhancers from a fellow Raver (Fred)....and put them on the 7's....wow...they really work. 8)

A jump in the dynamics...and more focus....pretty neat. And yes, their on the negative terminal of the Carbon 7's.

Try them.... :thumb:

Wolfy,

You've had a bunch of monitors through your systems (slight understatement  :D).  Can you suggest a familiar model that might be of similar presentation and quality?

lonewolfny42

« Reply #56 on: 10 Feb 2011, 07:11 am »
Wolfy,

You've had a bunch of monitors through your systems (slight understatement  :D).  Can you suggest a familiar model that might be of similar presentation and quality?

Still a few pairs "floating" around here Mudslide .... :lol:

As I mentioned, the 7's are an easy speaker to listen to...warm...but with detail. You don't get tired...their not "in your face".

Similar sounding....three come to mind.

The Sonist Concerto 2...Green Mountain Europa....and an older Usher monitor speaker...forgot the model. :duh:

Their similar in that they "sound" neutral to warm...in that area.Yes...their different in construction....but similar sounding. Speaker that don't "knock you over"....they float with the music.

Now....none are the "last word" in bass...it's there...but not room shaking....but then again...their smaller monitors.

Considering all the speakers that are out there.....the Carbon 7's are very nice....enjoyable....Fritz did a good job....at a good price. :beer:

Charles Xavier

« Reply #57 on: 10 Feb 2011, 08:28 am »
Still a few pairs "floating" around here Mudslide .... :lol:

As I mentioned, the 7's are an easy speaker to listen to...warm...but with detail. You don't get tired...their not "in your face".

Similar sounding....three come to mind.

The Sonist Concerto 2...Green Mountain Europa....and an older Usher monitor speaker...forgot the model. :duh:

Their similar in that they "sound" neutral to warm...in that area.Yes...their different in construction....but similar sounding. Speaker that don't "knock you over"....they float with the music.

Now....none are the "last word" in bass...it's there...but not room shaking....but then again...their smaller monitors.

Considering all the speakers that are out there.....the Carbon 7's are very nice....enjoyable....Fritz did a good job....at a good price. :beer:

Are these contenders to replace the SP's

lonewolfny42

« Reply #58 on: 10 Feb 2011, 08:33 am »

Are these contenders to replace the SP's

The SP Tech Mini's are a different type speaker....more forward...deeper bass....the 7's are warm and laid back....sort of like a broken-in pair of jeans....comfortable...relaxing.

It comes down to what "type" of sound you prefer. :wink:

Charles Xavier

« Reply #59 on: 10 Feb 2011, 08:35 am »
The SP Tech Mini's are a different type speaker....more forward...deeper bass....the 7's are warm and laid back....sort of like a broken-in pair of jeans....comfortable...relaxing.

Which means what ? If you didn't have so many speakers you would get a pair ?