Off Ramp 5 in my system

wisnon

Re: Off Ramp 5 in my system
« Reply #40 on: 16 Jun 2012, 07:42 am »
Stock OR5 is still a $150 more and adding SPDIF hynes another $250...so a $400 difference for a clearly superior OR5.  At this level, I don't expect dramatic differences, so price/value considerations can become paramount.

Audioexcels

« Reply #41 on: 19 Jun 2012, 05:45 am »
Stock OR5 is still a $150 more and adding SPDIF hynes another $250...so a $400 difference for a clearly superior OR5.  At this level, I don't expect dramatic differences, so price/value considerations can become paramount.

A $350 difference (price w/Hynes vs. $1200 modded OR4) for a clearly superior Off-Ramp.  At $1200 or $1550, I'll gladly pay $350 more if I'm paying $1200 for something like this.  It's like having a custom speaker being built and it costs $4500 for a two way monitor, or add $1000 more for a third driver that will give you a ton more sensitivity and a ton better speaker.  I'll gladly pay the $1000 more for that extra driver.

jimiles

« Reply #42 on: 20 Jun 2012, 12:54 am »
I would tend to agree that there is enough additional value in the OR5 to easily support a $350 price differential.  When you buy a piece of digital front-end equipment like an Off-Ramp, you're eventually going to sell it.  It's not like a solid state amplifier that might legitimately become a family heirloom.  If the market consensus becomes that the OR5 is the clearly better sounding of the two units, the resale price differential might eventually grow much wider than suggested by the original sale price.  I would also venture that the I2S over HDMI might wind up supporting the resale value considerably...there are an awful lot of WFS and PS Audio DACs out there.  You really can't go wrong with either unit, but there's a more to the value equation than just purchase price.  :thumb: 

The thing that keeps me up at night regarding the life expectancy of my OR is the prospect of USB obsolescence.  You laugh, but I can remember a time before USB and can therefore imagine a time after USB! 

mordo

« Reply #43 on: 10 Jul 2012, 11:37 am »
I apologize,
but ordering the Off Ramp 5, in addition to adding S / PDIF Hynes regulator, you must also choose an option Dual Turboclock?
Excuse the question but I can already tell if that's fine without the Dual Turboclock or you need to include this option because it will not work as expected?
What do you recommend??

Audioexcels

« Reply #44 on: 10 Jul 2012, 12:48 pm »
I apologize,
but ordering the Off Ramp 5, in addition to adding S / PDIF Hynes regulator, you must also choose an option Dual Turboclock?
Excuse the question but I can already tell if that's fine without the Dual Turboclock or you need to include this option because it will not work as expected?
What do you recommend??

You can purchase without any upgrades.  The Hynes and the Turboclocks are both upgrades from what is already a working and perfectly excellent sounding unit.  I would personally do an OR5 w/Hynes unless you absolutely do not have the extra $250.  It's really a substantial difference with the Hynes USB.  Turboclocks is excessive/overkill IMHO and good for people that want every last penny worth of sound.  Stick with Hynes USB "upgrade" for total of $1550, and you will be very happy and feel no need to ever have turboclocks...

mordo

« Reply #45 on: 10 Jul 2012, 01:27 pm »
You can purchase without any upgrades.  The Hynes and the Turboclocks are both upgrades from what is already a working and perfectly excellent sounding unit.  I would personally do an OR5 w/Hynes unless you absolutely do not have the extra $250.  It's really a substantial difference with the Hynes USB.  Turboclocks is excessive/overkill IMHO and good for people that want every last penny worth of sound.  Stick with Hynes USB "upgrade" for total of $1550, and you will be very happy and feel no need to ever have turboclocks...
Thanks for the quick response.
 So I would recommend without any upgrades?
 But what I schusi intede Hynes USB stick for upgrade?
 On the site I find only as an upgrade Hynes only S / PDIF and HDMI and USB for USB ......... I thought that this ditch is already marked as?

mordo

« Reply #46 on: 10 Jul 2012, 01:30 pm »
sorry I misspelled at one point:
 HDMI ........ and not for the USB

audioengr

« Reply #47 on: 10 Jul 2012, 06:41 pm »
sorry I misspelled at one point:
 HDMI ........ and not for the USB

There are 3 upgrades:

1) S/PDIF Hynes regulator - benefits S/PDIF as well as AES/EBU
2) HDMI Hynes regulator - benefits HDMI I2S and RJ-45 I2S
3) Turboclock

Steve N.

mordo

« Reply #48 on: 10 Jul 2012, 07:03 pm »
Hi Steve N.
how many weeks is scheduled for delivery?
The upgrade for HDMI HYNES is only recommended if the dac W4S / PS AUDIO or .......?

JPS

Off Ramp 5 with Aubisque USB filter
« Reply #49 on: 17 Apr 2013, 02:10 pm »
Dear all,

Having listened to my system with the Ultra Fi Aubisque USB filter for a few days, I wanted to let you know that I am very happy with its performance.
It seems to work as advertised, significantly reducing noise and minimizing differences between USB cables and player software upstream of the Aubisque.
Digital seems to have become logical again, which is no small feat. I now need to investigate whether there are still noticeable differences between different sample rates.

In any case, I think it validates Steve's point that audible differences between computers, player software and USB cables are mainly due to common mode noise upstream of the Off Ramp 5.

Jean-Pierre

Ern Dog

« Reply #50 on: 17 Apr 2013, 04:08 pm »
Although this is an OR5 thread, I'd still like to know about the sonic differences between the Aubisque and Short Block.  Anybody done a head to head with them?

Ernie

JPS

« Reply #51 on: 19 Apr 2013, 01:38 am »
Hi Ernie,
Sorry I have not been able to make this comparison.
The reason I went for the Aubisque is that it does not cut the ground and imposes no restrictions on the electrical connections for computer and OR5.
As I was pointing out, I am happy with its performance.
This is not a criticism of the Short Block, which probably offers excellent noise reduction.

Regards,

Jean-Pierre