Modifying the X-Statik to become the X-TC

S Clark, Mallard1 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. Read 2157 times.

JustPlainNuts

Modifying the X-Statik to become the X-TC
« on: 12 Feb 2024, 10:29 pm »
So, it’s been a journey. I discovered Danny and Gr-Research a few years ago and thanks to his tutelage via his YouTube videos, email exchanges and a phone call have brought be up to a whole new level of understanding in speaker design and audio reproduction. I have been studying audio since high school in the 80’s and the learning never stops. Thank you, Danny, for sharing your knowledge.

I’ve built several of Danny’s designs such as the X-LS Encores and the Encore Center speakers. I’ve used the flat packs and took some liberty on the Encore designs for a custom project as well.

I am a hobbyist and like branching out and experimenting with audio, so I have decided to take some liberties with Danny’s X-Statik design. First, I want to double the amount of low frequency drivers so that there will be two of the M-165-16’s in a sealed enclosure at the bottom of the speaker and two more above the MTM drivers in a sealed enclosure also. For stability, the sides of each speaker will be very similar to the NX-Tremes in that the inside side of the speaker will be a solid piece of MDF and the outside side of the speaker will be open for the MTM section of the speaker but sealed for the low frequency drivers. I hope this all makes sense.

Next, I will replace the M-165-16 drivers in the MTM section with the M165NQ/16 drivers. The tweeter will remain the T26SG driver. I will measure the responses and build a new crossover for the speaker. The speaker should be around 80 inches tall in total. My hopes are to increase the overall sensitivity of the speaker and I am hoping to lose the resisters on the tweeter. I feel like the MTM section and the low frequency sections will be very closely matched in sensitivity and doubling up on the woofers will help compensate for baffle step loss.

I am calling this new speaker the X-TC. I am open to anyone’s constructive criticism, feedback or suggestions.

Danny Richie

Re: Modifying the X-Statik to become the X-TC
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2024, 02:41 pm »
It sounds doable.

aricml

« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2024, 08:07 pm »
Oh cool! As a fellow X-statik owner, I will watch this with great interest.  Don't forget the pictures  :wink:.

JustPlainNuts

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2024, 09:53 pm »
Wow! Love the positive vibes!

I turned a major corner today on my custom speaker project. I finished the 3 speaker pods that will house the midrange-tweeter-midrange (MTM) speakers in a "D'appolito" configuration. My hope is the rounded edges of the pods will minimize and randomize sound wave diffraction from the front of the speaker baffle. They have the side benefit of looking cool too. The drivers' outside edge will end where the rounded

taper begins.

It only took me about a dozen attempts and a few sheets of MDF to get this right. I am not a woodworker and I do not have the best equipment, the workshop or experience to get this project right. But I have the will to power through it all in order to build an awesome set of speakers.
These 3 pods are for the front left-center-right (LCR) speakers for me and my wife's custom home theater build coming soon.

The MTM pod build includes two 3/4" pieces of MDF glued together and a 1.5 inch rounded router bit used to round off the baffle edges.  The router bit I am using is huge at 3" wide and will chew through a board in a heartbeat so it took a whole lotta patience to get these pods done correctly.  To be continued...

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2024, 08:38 pm »
Looks cool, and will definitely require a custom crossover.

JustPlainNuts

« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2024, 10:32 pm »
Danny, the starting point for me going astray from the original X-statik design was understanding the X-over would be a total new design based on the new response. I have taken what I call a deep dive into X-over design and response management with the X-over. It hasn't been until recently that I feel confident enough to take measurements and design a X-over from the ground up.

My family and friends think I am crazy from deviating from your designs and I know and appreciate that you have spent a lifetime perfecting them, but to me, experimenting, failing and learning is all part of the journey in great sounding audio. And I am wide open to any suggestions from the members of this forum along the way...

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 16 Feb 2024, 12:05 am »
Danny, the starting point for me going astray from the original X-statik design was understanding the X-over would be a total new design based on the new response. I have taken what I call a deep dive into X-over design and response management with the X-over. It hasn't been until recently that I feel confident enough to take measurements and design a X-over from the ground up.

My family and friends think I am crazy from deviating from your designs and I know and appreciate that you have spent a lifetime perfecting them, but to me, experimenting, failing and learning is all part of the journey in great sounding audio. And I am wide open to any suggestions from the members of this forum along the way...

Experimenting and trying things is how you learn.

If it were me though, I would keep the X-Statik as is for a reference and then you have something to compare to.

You can also email or post your response measurements to get feedback on what to change or do next.

JustPlainNuts

« Reply #7 on: 17 Feb 2024, 09:46 pm »
I would like some input from the Forum about internal speaker wire gauge. I ordered some PTFE 16 gauge stranded copper cable, but I feel given the size of this speaker build, it would be better to have 12 gauge as the input wire to the crossover and then 12 gauge to the low frequency drivers on the top and bottom of the speaker. Then I am thinking 14 gauge wire to the mid-range drivers and either 14 gauge or 16 gauge going to the tweeter.

I did a search on the forum and read a couple of threads about this topic, but there was no definitive answer I could find on this topic. Thoughts?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 18 Feb 2024, 01:44 am »
It really comes down to preference, there's not a big difference between them. In our NX series tower kits we supply 16 gauge for the tweeter mids and 14 gauge for the lower bass drivers.

You can use whatever you prefer.

JustPlainNuts

« Reply #9 on: 18 Feb 2024, 07:24 pm »
Looks cool, and will definitely require a custom crossover.

Danny, the MTM rounded bezel is 10.25" round for each Mid-range and 7" round at the tweeter at the bezel's widest. The bezel is rounded off with a 1.5" rounded router bit making the inside rounded area 7.25" with just enough room to mount the 165NQ drivers and 4" for the tweeter. My idea was to have the bezel round off beginning at the edge of each driver. This rounded off bezel will be mounted on the front of the normal 8.5" front bezel that will be 76" tall and the tweeter will be centered at 38".

My question is do you think this addition bezel will cause more response issues despite the rounded sides than just an 8.5" wide bezel with rounded sides?  I love the way the rounded edges looks on this bezel, but I would much rather have better sound than a cool factor. What are your thoughts and anyone else who wants to chime in?
« Last Edit: 18 Feb 2024, 08:50 pm by JustPlainNuts »

JustPlainNuts

« Reply #10 on: 25 Feb 2024, 10:24 pm »
Made some more progress on the speaker project this weekend. I've been experimenting with the rounded off front speaker bezel and not quite sure how to do the trim work around the woofers...

KTS

« Reply #11 on: 26 Feb 2024, 12:47 am »
Very cool! Looking forward to seeing the progress.  :popcorn:

JustPlainNuts

« Reply #12 on: 10 Mar 2024, 11:22 pm »
Made some more progress on the X-TC speaker project this weekend. All the work so far has been on the front baffle. Soon to follow are the speaker sides and supports and the speaker as a whole coming together. Stay tuned...

« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2024, 12:25 pm by JustPlainNuts »

aricml

« Reply #13 on: 11 Mar 2024, 01:07 pm »
The bevels on the baffle look great!  Is that some kind of sandable primer, or what finish are you going with?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #14 on: 11 Mar 2024, 03:10 pm »
Before you painted them I thought they looked like boobs, lol.

In all black they look pretty mean.

JustPlainNuts

« Reply #15 on: 11 Mar 2024, 03:29 pm »
My best friend keeps calling them boobies as well. Okay, maybe I have some affinity for sexy curves...

I just spray painted these with flat black primer so I could see any blemishes or things I need to fill with wood filler and/or sand with sandpaper. The final finish will be some sort of flat back as these LCRs will be going behind an acoustically transparent screen and I need them to disappear both sonically and visually.

JustPlainNuts

« Reply #16 on: 4 Apr 2024, 08:59 pm »
More progress on the new speakers. I had some PTO I needed to take or lose it so guess what I did all during my long weekend other than fish?
I am very happy with how the speakers are coming together. I am literally making up various parts of the design as I go. New ideas pop up as I make progress. I have a notebook where I write my ideas down and draw pictures. I also plan out the steps for each day I am working on the speaker and write them down so I can think through the process. Here are the latest pictures...

JustPlainNuts

« Reply #17 on: 4 Apr 2024, 09:01 pm »
Somehow the order of my pictures got all out of whack, but I think one can see the progression once they have seen all the pictures.
« Last Edit: 4 Apr 2024, 10:53 pm by JustPlainNuts »

emailtim

« Reply #18 on: 9 Apr 2024, 06:50 pm »
Very cool.  Like your outside workshop !!!

JustPlainNuts

« Reply #19 on: 20 Apr 2024, 11:52 pm »