Dspeaker Dual Core review

kbuzz3

Re: Dspeaker Dual Core review
« Reply #220 on: 31 Mar 2013, 09:05 pm »
if you all dont mind a stupid question. but is dual core only optimal if you are running subs?  Ive recently moved into a small listening room and using the sub is problematic....but bass in general sucks in this room....thanks

cremar

« Reply #221 on: 31 Mar 2013, 09:13 pm »

I have a high pitched, low volume, constant squeal when using the USB input from my Mac Mini. You hear it pretty well when I crank the gain on my 100 watt amp to 12:00 or higher (gets louder obviously). So I've abandoned the USB for now. I have been in touch with the distributor about these issues, so hopefully they'll be able to help.

Your Dual Core may need the February firmware update.  I was having problems with the USB input, but the February update fixed it.

[url]http://www.dspeaker.com/en/products/20-dual-core/firmware-update.shtml/url]

neekomax

« Reply #222 on: 31 Mar 2013, 09:13 pm »
if you all dont mind a stupid question. but is dual core only optimal if you are running subs?  Ive recently moved into a small listening room and using the sub is problematic....but bass in general sucks in this room....thanks

I don't think that's a stupid question. I believe that, since one of the correction modes is 2.0 (and shows just a pair of floorstanders as icon), the Dual Core will work without any subs running. This is the mode I'm using mine in. It corrects regardless of the drivers and enclosures at play.

I don't technically have any subs either, as my speakers have them built into the enclosures, so you could look at it either way, I suppose.

neekomax

« Reply #223 on: 31 Mar 2013, 09:14 pm »
Your Dual Core may need the February firmware update.  I was having problems with the USB input, but the February update fixed it.

[url]http://www.dspeaker.com/en/products/20-dual-core/firmware-update.shtml/url]

Thanks. The guy who sold it to me updated the firmware to the February version before I took possession, I made sure of it.

roscoeiii

« Reply #224 on: 31 Mar 2013, 09:17 pm »
Works great without subs. No worries there.

kbuzz3

« Reply #225 on: 31 Mar 2013, 11:52 pm »
thanks everyone on this holiday for answering my question so quickly.  I forgot to ask one more thing: can you use the dual core as a dac with room room correction, but NOT as a pre-amp.  I have a couple of pre amps here that i like...once again thanks.  this sounds like a very interesting product for those with problematic rooms.

neekomax

« Reply #226 on: 1 Apr 2013, 12:05 am »
No problem, mate. The answer is yes, you can go digital into the DC, then analog out to a preamp. I haven't tried it, but I'm pretty sure that's fine. Not sure whether you'd set the gain out to max or what, but somebody else can probably answer that.

roscoeiii

« Reply #227 on: 1 Apr 2013, 12:27 am »
I use it as just a DAC and for DSP. With no attenuation. The Dual Core is at its weakest as a preamp.

neekomax

« Reply #228 on: 1 Apr 2013, 12:44 am »
I use it as just a DAC and for DSP. With no attenuation. The Dual Core is at its weakest as a preamp.

Hmm, maybe I'll try that config into my Peachtree Audio Decco (currently not being used). Max volume on the DC, then?

wisnon

« Reply #229 on: 1 Apr 2013, 12:53 am »
yes, max out the gain.

rodge827

« Reply #230 on: 1 Apr 2013, 12:14 pm »
The Dual Core is at its weakest as a preamp.
:scratch:
Using mine as a preamp and it sounds great.
The Dual Core has helped to simplify my system down to just a few key components, which is why I gave it a try.
The only drawback, which isn't an issue for me, is the lack of Analog Inputs.
This can be remedied by the use of a multiple input switch box, such as the one Decware sells.

http://www.decware.com/newsite/rotary.htm

Neekomax,

Which calibration are you using Typical or Advanced?

Chris

neekomax

« Reply #231 on: 1 Apr 2013, 01:23 pm »
Hey Chris,

Only did the typical calibration so far. Which are you running? I was thinking of trying a full spectrum correction (that's possible, right?) just to see what it would do. Is that done through advanced?

Neeko

roscoeiii

« Reply #232 on: 1 Apr 2013, 01:36 pm »
Automatic DSP goes up to only 500Hz. Above that it is a manual affair, using the (very versatile) EQ feature.

neekomax

« Reply #233 on: 1 Apr 2013, 01:50 pm »
Automatic DSP goes up to only 500Hz. Above that it is a manual affair, using the (very versatile) EQ feature.

Ah, ok. But you can check the room response full spectrum to help you apply eq, right?

roscoeiii

« Reply #234 on: 1 Apr 2013, 02:04 pm »
Oh yes, any scan will show the full room response IIRC. Think you just need to zoom out or scroll or something like that to see the full sweep from 20Hz to 20kHz.

neekomax

« Reply #235 on: 1 Apr 2013, 03:43 pm »
Oh yes, any scan will show the full room response IIRC. Think you just need to zoom out or scroll or something like that to see the full sweep from 20Hz to 20kHz.

Right on. Will check it out.

I just plugged the DSPeaker analog out into the Aux 1 input of my Peachtree Decco (instead of going straight into my Acurus amp as I had configured previously, so now the DC is DAC/DSP, the Decco is preamp.

Best sound yet! The tube buffer in the Decco adds that touch of smooth warmth, and together with the detail and resolution of the DC as DAC, the corrected bass, and the ss power of the Acurus... Aw yeah. THIS is what I was hoping for when I threw down for the DC. This is great.  :icon_lol:

F*#@ yeah!

neekomax

« Reply #236 on: 1 Apr 2013, 09:21 pm »
Can someone tell me how I can view the entire frequency spectrum in 'Measurements'? The cursor moves off of the screen, but I can't get the screen to follow it.  :scratch:

I'm sure tis something super obvious...

wisnon

« Reply #237 on: 1 Apr 2013, 09:46 pm »
No, just to 150hz...manual to 500.

rodge827

« Reply #238 on: 1 Apr 2013, 09:55 pm »
Can someone tell me how I can view the entire frequency spectrum in 'Measurements'? The cursor moves off of the screen, but I can't get the screen to follow it.  :scratch:

I'm sure tis something super obvious...

I'm trying to do this from memory since mine has been in it's box since late Oct.

If you go to Measurement, I think you can select full or set the parameters to 20/20.

Again it's been a while so go easy on on me if not right.

Guidof

« Reply #239 on: 2 Apr 2013, 11:57 pm »
To the poster who was concerned about a dip at about 80Hz:

Unless you can really move your speakers around (and you said you can't) I wouldn't worry too much about that dip. Most rooms will have that, mine does too. It does not seem to rest from the overall bass quality, perhaps because it's fairly narrow. I would go easy on the house curve: too much boost there and it will tend to thicken the low frequency presentation and will negatively affect the DC headroom.

Enjoy!

Guido F.