Anyone heard PrimaLuna amps?

drphoto

Anyone heard PrimaLuna amps?
« on: 11 Apr 2009, 02:56 pm »
I've been considering trying tubes on my Merlins, now that I have powered OB subs to fill in the bottom. However, being a poor college student again, I gotta keep it cheap. How good is the PrimaLuna stuff from Upscale? Or other budget suggestions.

A friend of mine has the Onix SP3 integrated, and it was a big step backwards in my system, compared to the Odyssey amps.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Anyone heard PrimaLuna amps?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2009, 03:04 pm »
I've been considering trying tubes on my Merlins, now that I have powered OB subs to fill in the bottom. However, being a poor college student again, I gotta keep it cheap. How good is the PrimaLuna stuff from Upscale? Or other budget suggestions.

A friend of mine has the Onix SP3 integrated, and it was a big step backwards in my system, compared to the Odyssey amps.

What is your budget?

George

drphoto

« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr 2009, 03:40 pm »
Oh....say $1500, which means I'd be looking at the integrateds. Or maybe a better option is to try out the Odyssey Candella pre?

MacMozart

« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2009, 02:33 am »
I have one, Dialogue Two. It does fabulous job with Triangle Titus ES, presentation is phenomenal.

iGrant

« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2009, 02:34 pm »
The Prima Luna amps are very good, great quality, excellent sound and decent pricing, but then I rarely hear a tube amp I don't like :). You might also want to chat with NightShade here on AC, he's making some interesting tube amps, not sure if he does integrated. Our A-348 would also be a good match.

If you have a tube tech close by, going used can open a whole new set of options in your price range. I also get a lot of calls since the downturn from guys looking for demo units, call around and you might get something from the next price bracket up in your budget range.

Cheers,
Ian

mfsoa

« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2009, 02:44 pm »
Heard a PrimaLuna integrated amp at my Rave, Oct-08. I think Hogg (Jim) brought it.

It sounded very very good using Mariusz' Red Wine Isabell(a)(ina)? DAC into B&W 805s.

The previous combo we heard w/ these speakers (Pro-type DAC and Digital Amp Co. Class D amp) was too foreward, but the PL amp was SWEET!

-Mike

anthony a.

« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2009, 03:22 pm »
there are many nice tube integrateds for $1500.  also many tube amos for that price.  audio space, synthesis (italy), sophia electric, blue circle, etc.  these are all very good products that may or may not surpass your sonic nirvana.  i have tried them all and each one is exceptional for their low price.  do try before you buy, the primaluna are nice, but i think you can find better for the price, imo.

turkey

« Reply #7 on: 16 Apr 2009, 06:30 pm »
I heard one when they first came out on the market.

I think the guy who owned it wound up spending more time swapping tubes in and out than he did actually sitting down and listening to music.

It sounded rather typical to me. Soft highs, mushy bottom, and lush mids. (That almost sounds kinky.)

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #8 on: 17 Apr 2009, 02:47 am »
if you are on a budget, i think it would be hard to beat something like this, unless you want to g for something wintage:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250406939786

several ebay sellers are selling these; wait for the best price, yust search "yaqin 100b"

personally, if it were me, i would make an offer on one of these preamps, and use it w/whatever amp you are now using, until you can come up w/money for a different amp:
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1243900796&/Melos-Sha-Gold-guarantee-to-wo
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1242658078&/Melos-SHA-Gold-Preamp/Headphon

mark porzilli will soon be offering service and upgrades on these and other melos gear:
http://www.novaphysicsgroup.com/Page2.html

doug s.

ezr

« Reply #9 on: 17 Apr 2009, 06:24 am »
Heard a PrimaLuna integrated amp at my Rave, Oct-08. I think Hogg (Jim) brought it.

It sounded very very good using Mariusz' Red Wine Isabell(a)(ina)? DAC into B&W 805s.

The previous combo we heard w/ these speakers (Pro-type DAC and Digital Amp Co. Class D amp) was too foreward, but the PL amp was SWEET!

-Mike

pls  iwill  add  q? anyone heard vtl  maxline tube preamp

thanks a lot

ezra

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #10 on: 17 Apr 2009, 11:32 am »

thanks a lot

ezra
no, but, fwiw, a bud of mine thought a retail $500 dared sl2000 w/nos tubes sounded better than a vtl tl5.5.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260393812332

doug s.

turkey

« Reply #11 on: 17 Apr 2009, 12:25 pm »

thanks a lot

ezra
no, but, fwiw, a bud of mine thought a retail $500 dared sl2000 w/nos tubes sounded better than a vtl tl5.5.

doug s.

That has got to be the ugliest amp I've ever seen. Fugly!

BillB

« Reply #12 on: 17 Apr 2009, 12:27 pm »
If you have any building skills an Aikido preamp will do some awesome things to your system.

We did a shootout with 5 tube pres and the Candella and VTL Deluxe were about equal...Manley Shrimp and Aikido 24v were tops.

Tons of amps out there, definitely do some looking around!

JakeJ

« Reply #13 on: 17 Apr 2009, 09:12 pm »

thanks a lot

ezra

doug s.

That has got to be the ugliest amp I've ever seen. Fugly!

I think it's cool looking, I like the wood trim and matching wood remote.  That Yaqin MC-100B is gorgeous!

Each to his own.

Jake

Scott F.

« Reply #14 on: 18 Apr 2009, 01:02 am »
These always remind me of a '51 Chevy

ezr

« Reply #15 on: 18 Apr 2009, 08:35 am »
o k    thanks a lot  i need  some ideas    to preamp     ihave   2 mono  block   2x15w  quad  classic    :cry:

drphoto

« Reply #16 on: 20 Apr 2009, 03:42 am »
Hey guys, appreciate the feedback. Probabably no amps for me now, as I'm suddenly faced w/ having to buy a motor vehicle, as my Trooper died. I'm pretty happy w/ the sound I have, but heck, we're always looking for the next step, right?

chrismercurio

For EZR regarding a PM
« Reply #17 on: 4 Sep 2009, 03:12 pm »
EZR,

You contacted me via personal message through AudioCircle, but the internal messaging isn't working right now. My email is chris_mercurio at hotmail.com.

To answer the questions you PM'd, a friend uses the matching Quad QC-twentyfour with those amplifiers but has also had superior results with the Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid and the Experience Music 71a DHT preamp. Also, for more bass with the Altec's, stick them in a box or move them closer to the wall.

Regards,

Chris

vinylphilemag

• Vinylphile magazine
« Reply #18 on: 4 Sep 2009, 03:35 pm »
I've had a pair of PrimaLuna ProLogue 7s for about 18 months now, driving a pair of MartinLogan Spires.  I love 'em, and think they're great!

toobluvr

« Reply #19 on: 4 Sep 2009, 04:09 pm »
Never heard it, but I hear that the Melody stuff is great.  The Melody 2a3 integrated got rave reviews over on 6Moons.  And all the user / owner comments I've read on Melody gear in general have been very positive.  I know the 2a3 is  not enough power for your Merlins, but if you listen at sane levels in a medium room, I bet the KT88 integrated would do very nicely.

You can get Melody gear at ridiculously low closeout prices right now:  new for the price of used.  That's because they are losing their US importer / distributor.  So ya gotta be willing to take that risk.