Four great religious truths

Eric Strasen

• Midwest S-16
Four great religious truths
« on: 16 Jun 2014, 02:47 pm »
During these serious and troubled times, people of all faiths should remember these four great religious truths:
1. Muslims do not recognize Jews as God's chosen people.
2. Jews do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah.
3. Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the leader of the Christian world.
4. Baptists do not recognize each other at the liquor store.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Four great religious truths
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2014, 08:00 pm »
Almost five hours and still standing. Wow, I'm surprised.  :lol:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2014, 08:12 pm »
It's a MIRACLE!!!!!!!   :lol:

milford3

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2014, 01:41 pm »
A man wakes up in the hospital and finds himself bandaged from head to foot.

The doctor comes in and says, "Ah, I see you've regained consciousness. You probably don't remember, but you were in a huge pile-up on the freeway. You're going to be okay, you'll walk again and everything, however, your penis was severed in the accident and we couldn't find it."

The man groans, but the doctor continues to explain,  "You have $9000 in insurance compensation coming and we now have the technology to build you a new penis. They work great but they don't come cheap.  It's roughly $1000 an inch."

The man perks up.  "So," the doctor says, "You must decide how many inches you want. But, I understand that you have been married for over thirty years and this is something you should discuss with your wife.  If you had a five incher before and get a nine incher now she might be a bit put out.  And then, if you had a nine incher before and you decide to only invest in a five incher now, she might be disappointed.  It's important that she plays a role in helping you make a decision."

The man agrees to talk it over with his wife and will let the doctor know of their decision.

The doctor comes back the next day, "So, have you spoken with your wife?"

"Yes I have," says the man.  "And has she helped you make a decision?"
"Yes" says the man.  "OK, What is your decision?" asks the doctor.
"We will be getting the granite counter tops."

srb

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jun 2014, 02:07 pm »
Did you actually mean to post here in this "Four great religious truths" topic or in the "Joke of the Day" topic? (where originally posted http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=72917.msg759199#msg759199)

Steve

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2014, 04:41 pm »
Milford3,

"Granite counter tops".  :lol:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 20 Jun 2014, 04:53 pm »
I put granite counters in the kitchen and both baths about 8 years ago as a precaution. I don't want to be that guy. You can't be too careful when it comes to your injector.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2014, 04:59 pm »
The hell with the granite counter tops, I think I'd get another wife!  :thumb:

Gene

Eric Strasen

• Midwest S-16
« Reply #8 on: 20 Jun 2014, 05:01 pm »
What happens if the better half decides she wants to replace the granite with marble?

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 20 Jun 2014, 07:03 pm »
Then I'd say she's lost her marbles.

RDavidson

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jun 2014, 08:23 pm »
What happens if the better half decides she wants to replace the granite with marble?

The wife would need to get into an auto accident and lose her.......um.......headlights?

Eric Strasen

• Midwest S-16
« Reply #11 on: 21 Jun 2014, 06:31 pm »
Well, we've managed to steer this away from a potentially iffy subject dealing with religion to kitchen countertops, tempered with a soupçon of misogynism.   

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jun 2014, 06:37 pm »
Well, we've managed to steer this away from a potentially iffy subject dealing with religion to kitchen countertops, tempered with a soupçon of misogynism.   
Yes, that plus a little sexual innuendo. I'd say that's progress - I think :scratch:

All of this supports the conclusion that Michael Valentine Smith came to when trying to understand how to behave as an earthling, particularly when and why to laugh, in Robert Heinlein's "Stranger in a Strange Land". It all came clear to him when he was at the San Diego Zoo and saw a boy throw a rock at on old male gorilla in a cage, hurting him. Since he could not retaliate, the big male went over and smacked the female, his mate, who then found the young one and slapped it. The young one had no one to hurt, so went in the corner and cried. Michael, watching this and the penny dropping about the function of laughter (and crying) started laughing so hard he could not stop. He had to be hospitalized until he recovered.

His conclusion was that laughter for humans is a stress-relief mechanism, suitable for those stresses not serious enough to require tears.

I have tried applying this notion on many occasions over the years when laughter seemed unusually loud or unexpected and it seems to be true.