Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are really nice.

Sparky14

Re: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are really nice.
« Reply #800 on: 4 Aug 2014, 07:04 pm »
Got my Dennis-modded 22s hooked up to a much bigger amp this weekend (Emotiva XPA-200, which is 150 wpc versus the 60 wpc old integrated that I was using). The results were quite outstanding. Terrific sounding speakers. Not going to bring down the walls with output, but still gets plenty loud with a very high quality sound.

Les H

« Reply #801 on: 6 Aug 2014, 06:58 pm »
How long do the 22's take to break in?  I have a new pair of C22's (that I'm using as a L-R stereo pair) I've been breaking in for about 8 hours and they seem constricted and maybe bright compared to my old B41's.  Or maybe they are different animals.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #802 on: 6 Aug 2014, 10:30 pm »
Speakers are typically 100 to 200 hours before they're really broken in.  Specifically to the Pioneers I wouldn't know exactly, but as it's an ongoing process that has no definite end, I suspect no one knows for sure.  However all of these scenarios entail more than 8 hours so you have a great deal of enjoyment to go through before reaching audio nirvana.

starkiller

« Reply #803 on: 7 Aug 2014, 11:13 pm »
Anyone have thoughts on how these might do as a desktop speaker?

srb

« Reply #804 on: 7 Aug 2014, 11:32 pm »
Anyone have thoughts on how these might do as a desktop speaker?

I have a pair on the desktop, well actually on a computer desk shelf.

They are

-  ~ even with the top of my head
-  angled down a few degrees
-  6 inches from the wall
-  2 feet apart
-  on their sides with tweeters to the outside
-  toed-in ~ 30 degrees

I think they are well worth the $70 sale price and give a solid nearfield stereo image, but they don't seem quite as smooth or as well balanced as the speakers they replaced, the B&W DM302 (no longer in production, $250 MSRP / ~ $125 used).

That being said, in comparison I think there are probably a number of small bookshelf speakers in the used $100 to $150 range that some people might prefer to these Pioneer BS22s (specifically the stock unmodified ones, which mine are).

Steve

charmerci

« Reply #805 on: 8 Aug 2014, 07:25 am »
As Steve says.

They're sure a hell of a lot better than anything Logitech, etc. sells or any other "computer" speaker.

Sparky14

« Reply #806 on: 8 Aug 2014, 07:24 pm »
My iteration on Steve's post.....my name is Steve too, so I can do this.

I have a pair on the desktop.

They are

-  top of speaker at chin level
-  angled up a few degrees
-  6 inches from the wall (ditto)
-  4 feet apart
-  setup normally
-  toed-in ~ 45 degrees

I like them a lot. Good sound and imaging for a low-fi system (playing mp3s through *gasp* the HP output of my laptop).

Also Steve

HappyGene

Hi,

Would anyone have any idea about whether increasing the volume and changing the port tube on the little Pioneer sub would let me get down to ~30Hz (I just want low B, not earthquake stuff) in a moderate sized room?  Any special knowledge about this particular driver?

It would be easy for me to add a section to the middle of the box or simply extend it.  I don't care about the looks because I'll be refinishing it and am comfy handling any re-wiring.  I'm not concerned that my time would facilitate just buying a Dayton SUB1200 or similar.

Should I post in "Enclosures" instead?  I don't mind being polite ;)

Thanks ahead of time for anyone with time for a prompt reply (I'd like to take advantage of the sale),
:) Gene

ltr317

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #810 on: 14 Aug 2014, 04:45 pm »
?
They are $126.99.

Flyin_V

« Reply #811 on: 14 Aug 2014, 04:58 pm »
Looks like another of Amazon's 'blink and you'll miss it' sales.... :(

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #812 on: 16 Aug 2014, 03:58 pm »
How long do the 22's take to break in?  I have a new pair of C22's (that I'm using as a L-R stereo pair) I've been breaking in for about 8 hours and they seem constricted and maybe bright compared to my old B41's.  Or maybe they are different animals.

If they don't sound good out of the box, they're not going to sound good.  The bass will get slightly deeper after some flexing--we're probably talking minutes rather than hours--but there's nothing else that will change with use.  The only thing that will change is your subjective opinion based on acclimation to a different sound.  I've done controlled experiments with break-in, and worked with dozens and dozens of the monitors, centers, and towers.   The stock units don't change.  My modded units don't change.

jackman

« Reply #813 on: 16 Aug 2014, 04:50 pm »
Dennis, you are awesome. Thanks for being a voice of reason in a sea of snake oil and BS. All this talk of 200 hour break-in makes me sick. I recall the thread on Audiohaulics in which you actually did a controlled test with those Cambridge speakers and showed there was no qualitative or measurable break-in on speakers in which people swore we're making drastic changes after hundreds of hours of break-in.

Measurements are the enemy of people who want to believe in snake oil and fantasy. It always makes me laugh when people are confronted by bad data and they either attack or doubt the guy doing the measuring or they totally discont the value of measurements in general. Sorry for the slight detour.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #814 on: 16 Aug 2014, 05:28 pm »
Gee I'm sorry I made you sick, did you throw up or were you just on the toilet all night.  Hope you had some pepto in the house.  I'll PM you before I make a post you might object to so you can avoid it, your health is my greatest concern.

OzarkTom

« Reply #815 on: 16 Aug 2014, 06:26 pm »
I can live with a 200 hour break-in, but those 500-1000 hour break-ins on certain caps and DAC's gets to me.  :roll:

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
« Reply #816 on: 16 Aug 2014, 07:27 pm »
I can live with a 200 hour break-in, but those 500-1000 hour break-ins on certain caps and DAC's gets to me.  :roll:

What I really find to be a PITA is my own personal 569,400 hour break-in period. Now that things are starting to loosen up and I'm starting to relax and have fun everything's falling apart..

jackman

« Reply #817 on: 16 Aug 2014, 07:38 pm »
Gee I'm sorry I made you sick, did you throw up or were you just on the toilet all night.  Hope you had some pepto in the house.  I'll PM you before I make a post you might object to so you can avoid it, your health is my greatest concern.

I wasn't referring to you!  Your posts are enjoyable. My comments were about the Audiohaulics thread (unless you were on that thread). Anyway, I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #818 on: 16 Aug 2014, 07:46 pm »
I wasn't referring to you!  Your posts are enjoyable. My comments were about the Audiohaulics thread (unless you were on that thread). Anyway, I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

I kind of figured my post would cause some friction.   I'm sensitive about the break-in issue because you often see it cited as a reason for sticking with a speaker you don't like initially--possibly past the return-privilege period.  Speakers are mechanical devices, and things will change a little with time.  But not necessarily in a good direction.  You should give speakers some time to cleanse your ears from whatever you were listening to.  But a few days should suffice for that.  The basic quality of a speaker depends on the quality of the drivers and the crossover (and box tuning, of course).  It doesn't depend on break in. 

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #819 on: 16 Aug 2014, 10:27 pm »

And I was teasing, I've got a pretty thick skin.  It was me on this thread that suggested a 200 hour break in might be expected with typical speakers.  And actually I'm fine with the suggestion that transducer break in is all in our heads.  But that there is a break in period that I definitely hear with speakers, headphones, and phono cartridges is to me a fact, I'll leave cables and electronics out of this discussion, that I refuse to deny.  I will listen to arguments that it's me that's getting broken in.  Regardless, it can take up to 200 hours for the process to be completed.  You guys argue whether it's the speakers or my head or a little of both, which is what I suspect.