SongTower Crossovers

KaseyC

SongTower Crossovers
« on: 29 Dec 2023, 01:35 am »
Okay - so here's a general crossover question.  I've seen many discuss rebuilding the crossovers in their amplifiers and speaker crossovers by replacing the capacitors.  How often should capacitors be replaced and how can you tell if they're do?  I just purchased a nice pair of SongTowers and the question of the crossover comes to mind.  They're 14 years old and hence the longevity question.   

I don't notice anything bad - the SongTowers sound great.  I'm just curious.  I know Jim Salk moderates this Circle and I'm positive he knows more (as many of you do as well) about crossovers than I do.  Thank you in advance for your assistance!

JCarney

Re: SongTower Crossovers
« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2023, 02:38 am »
You're good. Nothing has degraded due to age on those speakers. They will bring enjoyment for decades to come with proper use and not being over driven.

Enjoy,
JCarney

jsalk

« Reply #2 on: 29 Dec 2023, 12:06 pm »
The metalized polypropylene caps we used should last as long as you own the speakers.  They won't require replacing.

- Jim

Rocket

« Reply #3 on: 29 Dec 2023, 01:48 pm »
Hey Jim,

I hope you had a great Xmas. Just one last question what about replacement drivers? Would you recommend purchasing drivers and storing them for in the future?

Cheers Rod

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 29 Dec 2023, 03:14 pm »
The metalized polypropylene caps we used should last as long as you own the speakers.  They won't require replacing.

- Jim

My SongTowers keep working beautifully after almost 20 years of heavy use.  :-)

I love my Salk based HT setup (5 SongTowers and a SS7C center channel)!!

George

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 29 Dec 2023, 10:33 pm »
Hey Jim,

I hope you had a great Xmas. Just one last question what about replacement drivers? Would you recommend purchasing drivers and storing them for in the future?

Cheers Rod

This depends on the drivers used.  We tried to utilize drivers we thought would be available for long periods of time.  The Seas W18's, for example, were originally produced long before I built my first speaker and are sill one of Seas best selling mid-woofers. Same for the ER15's in the SongTowers. I would expect RAAL to be around for quite a while since they produce the best ribbon tweeters on the market.  SB Acoustics Satori line should be around for quite a while as well. 

About the only drivers I might be concerned about are Hiquphon tweeters as Oskar retired years ago and I don't know how much longer he will be producing his dome tweeters.  So it might make sense to purchase one or two of those.

Of course, TC Sounds is no longer around, so the woofers we used in the HT3's and a few other models are no longer available.  Same for the Wavecor woofers in the SS8's.  Wavecor has an updated driver that is supposed to replace the model we used, but its T/S parameters are not the same and modeling shows the replacement drivers will not play as deep (but would likely work).

So it is somewhat of a mixed bag.  But on the whole, most of the drivers we used should have a long life span and continued availabilty.

I hope this helps.

- Jim