question on the big Tannoys please??

2bigears

question on the big Tannoys please??
« on: 25 Jun 2007, 06:11 am »
anyone heard the big Tannoy Prestige line,are the warm and easy on the ear as one would think?? thks for any help :D

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: question on the big Tannoys please??
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2007, 06:47 am »
Pat.....
Send Hogg a PM about the Tannoy Prestige line....he's heard a few and is a Tannoy owner.
I've heard his pair of Tannoy Turnberry's....sounded really good. :wink:

Chris

Photo Link......  :thumb:

2bigears

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2007, 07:25 am »
thks Chris,good to know.how's the weather in NY.if it rains one more drop here,i am going to do crazy things!!!! what's your take on the speakers?? :D

lonewolfny42

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jun 2007, 07:31 am »
thks Chris,good to know.how's the weather in NY.if it rains one more drop here,i am going to do crazy things!!!! what's your take on the speakers?? :D
Summer in the city....80's...and dry.
Nice speakers...can play loud and clear....easy to drive...look good , sound good.
I liked them..... :thumb:

2bigears

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jun 2007, 07:39 am »
dry,to dream!!! one big question.why so expensive?? :D

lonewolfny42

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jun 2007, 07:43 am »
dry,to dream!!! one big question.why so expensive?? :D
Well Pat...they are built very good...and solid. Some might say their not that expensive. Check with Hogg....he can better answer you questions...he's a good guy. :thumb:

Check Hogg's Rave last summer...

2bigears

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jun 2007, 07:53 am »
thks Chris,now try to find a set used?? go easy :D

lonewolfny42

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jun 2007, 08:00 am »
thks Chris,now try to find a set used?? go easy :D
Might be hard to find....used. I think most hold on to them...but good luck !! :thumb:

anubisgrau

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jun 2007, 08:47 am »
i'm still in tears - i was outbid on my dream tannoy speaker last night....

tannoy 215 DTM II - the only proper big tannoy i can afford (2 x 15" drivers, one bass, one DC, both paper cone, crap crossover but easy to upgrade... 300l cabinets, 90kg... aa)

if anyone has a pair for sale, preferrably in europe, pls let me know

Hogg

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jun 2007, 03:37 pm »
Pat,

As Chris mentioned I own the Tannoy Turnberry HE's.  This speaker uses the hard-edged 10" dual-concentric driver.

The older, 50's-80's Tannoy's were warmer with a flabbier bass.  The change to the hard-edged surround has made a large difference in the quality of the bass at the sacrifice of some ease-of-drive. 

I drive mine with both tubes and solid state depending on my mood.  Like all speakers, the Tannoys add their own color but it's a sound I enjoy.  I listen to classical music and they are perfect for this type of music. If your music tastes run towards rock, techno, hip hop, etc, you'll be bettered served with a "faster" sounding speaker.
      The Prestige series are expensive because of the sinking or some would say already sunk dollar.  A British pound is now almost $2.  The speakers have  bespoke cabinets and the drivers are made in Scotland.
Check regularly on Ebay and Audiogon for used.

Jim

2bigears

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jun 2007, 03:09 am »
thank-you Jim.i think i may be dreaming in an effort to find a used set of these.Can't say i have every seen them on the Gon.Will have to try ebay more.May be one of those out-of-reach things.Unless one is made of money?? [dang dollar]  :D