Earl Geddes Nathan system

Wind Chaser

Re: Earl Geddes Nathan system
« Reply #40 on: 1 Dec 2009, 01:19 am »
I am completely happy using the recommended Pioneer receiver and no name cables.  Most will laugh but these things are much less important in the chain than the speaker is itself.

This reminds me of one of those very rare occasions when I managed to bring Michele out into a few high end audio shops.  I might add that her hearing is far better than mine - but it was mainly to get her approval on a prospective purchase.  Of all the things she heard, the only thing that really impressed her were a pair of electrostats driven by a SS integrated amp with a price tag of less than $500! 

Not saying tube / SET amps can't account a difference; I've owned a few myself, but in the equation of good sound, there is no substitute for a great speaker.  And a truly remarkable great speaker will shine (within reason) regardless of the amp driving it. 

JoshK

« Reply #41 on: 1 Dec 2009, 01:27 am »

Not saying tube / SET amps can't account a difference; I've owned a few myself, but in the equation of good sound, there is no substitute for a great speaker.  And a truly remarkable great speaker will shine (within reason) regardless of the amp driving it.

That is my opinion too.  I like building my tube amps but it is really about the speakers.

drphoto

« Reply #42 on: 1 Dec 2009, 05:33 am »
I'm finding the room has a lot to do w/ it too. But then again, maybe really good speakers are really good, because they manage those interactions better than others. ?

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #43 on: 1 Dec 2009, 12:28 pm »
I'm finding the room has a lot to do w/ it too. But then again, maybe really good speakers are really good, because they manage those interactions better than others?

Bingo  :thumb:.

Anand.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #44 on: 1 Dec 2009, 01:55 pm »
Great review, Anand!  This is exactly the type of detail I always hope to see in Critic's Circle reviews!

Goskers, given your experience with the active Orions, have you considered trying an active crossover with the Nathans (and/or subs)?

Thanks!
Anand . . wonderful post!  One of the best I've read here.  Not to mention thought provoking.  I am not in the market for new speaks, but if I were, and had a larger dedicated room, Geddes would get my serious attention.  I couldn't resist putting some tubes ahead of them, tho.

gedlee

• GedLee LLC
« Reply #45 on: 3 Dec 2009, 02:20 pm »

have you ever tried your speakers like nathan with a 2-3w SET amp? i would be interested in hearing an opinion could it work in a 22m2 room with 3m ceiling?

Sorry, no, I don't use anything but very traditional amps.  As far as the room goes, I'll say this.  My speakers are optimized for a small room and that's where they shine, but there is nothing about a room that is ever going to make them a bad design for that room.  In other words, and this goes to a comment above, the room can add or subtract from the speaker, but a good speaker is a good speaker.  It's level of improvement will be room dependent, but its always an improvement.  The worse the room, the bigger the improvement, but the better the room, the better the final result.

ctviggen

« Reply #46 on: 3 Dec 2009, 03:13 pm »
How small is "small"?  I have a 22 feet by 17 feet (approximately) room.  Does that fit the definition of "small"?  The speakers would be placed on the 17 feet axis.

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #47 on: 3 Dec 2009, 04:50 pm »
I think he means residential spaces would be small.  Commercial venues, a place that could seat an actual audience, would be large. That kind of difference in scale. 

ctviggen

« Reply #48 on: 3 Dec 2009, 04:58 pm »
Oh, I see.  That is a difference in scale, as I think of my room as being "large". 

coolbiz

• Não em uma caixa
« Reply #49 on: 3 Aug 2010, 04:02 pm »

After my first visit to Detroit I sold the orion's which are pictured.  The Summa line is just such a better system IMHO.  For my system goals it was a no brainer.

[snip]

Could you please tell me if these Orions were the updated version with the rear tweeter making them a full range dipole? Also, I'd be interested to know if you used the ATI-6012 amp, SL's recommended choice, to drive them.

Thanks,

turkey

« Reply #50 on: 3 Aug 2010, 04:18 pm »
Could you please tell me if these Orions were the updated version with the rear tweeter making them a full range dipole? Also, I'd be interested to know if you used the ATI-6012 amp, SL's recommended choice, to drive them.

Thanks,

I heard a pair of Orions, and I think they had the new tweeter. They did not use the ATI-6012 amp, but that's not really important. I thought the Orions were the best speakers I had ever heard.

Then I heard Earl's speakers and the Orion lost its appeal. :)

BrassEar

« Reply #51 on: 3 Aug 2010, 04:42 pm »
Of all the things she heard, the only thing that really impressed her were a pair of electrostats driven by a SS integrated amp with a price tag of less than $500! 

This mirrors my own audiophile journey. Just out of curiosity, care to mention the SS integrated in question?

FWIW, I have heard the latest Orions, and a Geddes design and they are both SOTA cone systems that sound fabulous. Personally, I am back with stats and a very cheap amp to drive them and have never been happier.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #52 on: 3 Aug 2010, 05:11 pm »

Thanks,

Yes they were.

Pictures are right here of gosker's Orion system. Like what goskers said...a no brainer, and with the price subs are nowadays (especially used subs), it was cheaper as well.

Anand.

coolbiz

• Não em uma caixa
« Reply #53 on: 3 Aug 2010, 05:49 pm »
Thanks to turkey, BrassEar and poseidonsvoice.

I own a pair of Orion+ and while they are among the very best speakers I've ever heard, I am not immune to considering other options. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any owners of Gedlee speakers in my neck of the woods.
In any case, I'll upgrade my Orions to the latest mk.3 edition before looking at anything else.

As for amplification, I have attempted to drive my Orions with Rotel RMB-1066 at the result was, to my surprise, clearly inferior to that of the ATI-6012.

(Sorry for the off-topic.)

turkey

« Reply #54 on: 3 Aug 2010, 06:49 pm »
I own a pair of Orion+ and while they are among the very best speakers I've ever heard, I am not immune to considering other options. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any owners of Gedlee speakers in my neck of the woods.

Have you asked Earl whether or not he has any customers in Norway or close by? I know there's someone in Germany who had (has?) Gedlee speakers, and that's at least on your side of the Atlantic.

dburna

« Reply #55 on: 3 Aug 2010, 08:02 pm »
Is there anyone in the Chicago area that has a Geddes speaker set-up that would be willing to host a brief audition?  I'm very curious to hear these based on all the discussion.  I'm fairly mobile and with a fleixble schedule. 

Thanks, -dB

P.S. I can bring beer.   :wink:

TomS

« Reply #56 on: 4 Aug 2010, 01:47 am »
Is there anyone in the Chicago area that has a Geddes speaker set-up that would be willing to host a brief audition?  I'm very curious to hear these based on all the discussion.  I'm fairly mobile and with a fleixble schedule. 

Thanks, -dB

P.S. I can bring beer.   :wink:
Just a short drive over to Detroit on I-94 to get a demo from Earl himself.  Definitely worth it to hear what they're capable of in a great setup.

Tom

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #57 on: 4 Aug 2010, 01:54 am »
Just a short drive over to Detroit on I-94 to get a demo from Earl himself.  Definitely worth it to hear what they're capable of in a great setup.

Tom

Seconded. Listen, dburna, when I lived in Cleveland, I drove up to Earl's place, spent the better part of 3 hours there, had a ball of a time, and Earl was very happy to answer questions and at the time, the Nathan was just a little prototype he was building. Now its on to its next iteration. If you have a  flexible schedule, just go to Earl's chateau. You'll just be real surprised by what electronics he uses to get the sound quality you hear  :P.  Earl has the proper setup. Some of us have small rooms, and even there, the GedLee speakers shine. Throw them in a room like Earl's and they really come alive. Throw them in a room like I am building (16ft by 26 ft by 10 ft with acoustics per Earl Geddes) and each song is a sonic eargasm.

Anand.