Linear power supply for Oppo 93/103

SGK

Linear power supply for Oppo 93/103
« on: 18 Dec 2012, 05:59 pm »
Has anyone dropped a Paul Hynes LPSU into an Oppo 93?  It requires 2x5v for the digital stages (and 15v for the analogue stage although I have no interest in this as one of the best things you can do to an Oppo 93 is to take the analogue board out!).

Paul, if you're back reading the board, what would this cost? No need for an enclosure as I'd want to fit it within the existing Oppo case.

There are LPSU for the Oppo available but I'd like to understand what it would cost from the master!

Brucemck

Re: Linear power supply for Oppo 93/103
« Reply #1 on: 1 Feb 2013, 03:17 pm »
Bump ... I too am interested in this

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2013, 04:06 pm »
I am interested to see where this goes.

SGK

« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2013, 10:48 am »
BTW the Oppo 103 has the same power requirements

serengetiplains

« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2013, 11:05 pm »
I have an Oppo 95 in which I replaced the two 5V supplies with shunt supplies from Paul.  These shunts are each driven with series supplies from Paul (thus 4 supplies total, 2 transformers).  The result is very nice indeed for what I use the Oppo for, which is watching Blu Ray movies.   :thumb:

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2013, 11:27 pm »
Does Paul have a website?

serengetiplains

« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2013, 11:28 pm »

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2013, 12:02 am »
Thank you

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 11 Feb 2013, 12:05 am »

serengetiplains

« Reply #9 on: 11 Feb 2013, 03:15 am »
I can't remember.  $600?  It's really the only way to get a better output (picture, in my case) from these units which, even stock, output a pretty good signal.  Paul's regs work like a charm in this application, which speaks highly of their bandwidth.

SGK

« Reply #10 on: 11 Feb 2013, 08:57 am »
Not sure how video that's pixel oriented can benefit from a better power supply.  Audio, different story.

I eventually dropped in a linear PSU from Dr Jaehong Lee into my Oppo 103. $280 incl delivery to the US. Delivers 15v for analogue board (which I have removed and so I do not use this power connection), and 2x5V for the main board and digital audio section.

(Note Paul's website is seriously out of date.)

serengetiplains

« Reply #11 on: 11 Feb 2013, 05:55 pm »
SGK, pixels need to be the right colour at the right time, yes?  Just like digital audio.

Napalm

« Reply #12 on: 11 Feb 2013, 06:07 pm »
SGK, pixels need to be the right colour at the right time, yes?

This wasn't exactly what L S D did, yet it was quite popular; maybe just because of that  :jester:

Paul Hynes

• Facilitator
    • http://www.paulhynesdesign.com
« Reply #13 on: 12 Feb 2013, 02:51 pm »
Hi folks,

I’m not familiar with the Oppo power supply so will need some idea of available input voltage to the regulators and approx load current in use before I can make a recommendation. Some idea of available space would be good too.

Tom,

Which of my modules did you fit on the 5v rails.

Regards
Paul

SGK

« Reply #14 on: 12 Feb 2013, 07:13 pm »
SGK, pixels need to be the right colour at the right time, yes?  Just like digital audio.

LOL! Not power supply dependent. But yes, you should calibrate your display.

SGK

« Reply #15 on: 12 Feb 2013, 07:23 pm »
Hi folks,

I’m not familiar with the Oppo power supply so will need some idea of available input voltage to the regulators and approx load current in use before I can make a recommendation. Some idea of available space would be good too.

Tom,

Which of my modules did you fit on the 5v rails.

Regards
Paul

Paul

I can probably lend you the power supply from my Oppo 103 to have a look at.  I have one of Dr Lee's installed in its place. http://pcaudio.tistory.com/373   I've ripped out the analogue section of the 103.  And to be honest I'm not sure there's a great deal of difference as a result of the linear power supply.  It's interesting to hear Modwright's comments re this in his Audiocircle.

Regards

Steve

Paul Hynes

• Facilitator
    • http://www.paulhynesdesign.com
« Reply #16 on: 13 Feb 2013, 02:18 pm »
Hi Steve,

Kind offer and accepted, provided you can cope with a relatively long assessment period as I have a lot of catching up to do with orders since my time off work recovering from the recent hernia operation. I would only be able to look at this during my rather limited spare time at present. I will, of course, refund any shipping costs and provide you with a PH replacement power supply free of charge.

In the mean time lets turn Oppo upgrades into a project. Anyone wishing to discuss their experience with the Oppo players, please feel free to post their findings, as any upgrade information will be useful for future mod assessment.

You may already know that I have been providing a complete high performance regulator upgrade package for the Buffalo DACs for around three years. The Buffalo II and III both use the ES9018 Sabre Dac chip for Digital to Analogue conversion. This would not apply to you, Steve, as you do not use the audio section in your player, but for those still using the Oppo analogue board, ES9018 is very sensitive to power supply quality and this regulator upgrade kit is still regarded as an essential upgrade to get the best musical performance out of the ES9018. At this point in time I am not sure whether the ES9018 regulator upgrade kit will be a comfortable fit in the player, but if it is, this is a very valuable sonic upgrade to make.

Regards
Paul

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 13 Feb 2013, 04:09 pm »
Thank you gentleman for posting the costs and links.
I currently have modwrights se 83 completely mod, I do watch video more than audio so I am still investigating.

SGK

« Reply #18 on: 13 Feb 2013, 08:13 pm »
Paul, when you get a chance, answer my email of Sunday re my other project and we can swap addresses etc so I can send you the PS.