The SR8 Shunt Regulated, High Power, High Speed, 40 Watt Power Supply

Paul Hynes

• Facilitator
    • http://www.paulhynesdesign.com
For those interested in high power shunt regulated power supplies the SR8 high power shunt regulated power supply is available. I can set the output voltage anywhere between 3v3 and 24v. The current limit can be customised to supply up to 4 amps as long as the total regulator and current source dissipation at the set output voltage remains below 40 watts for a heat-sink temperature of around 30 degrees C above ambient temperature.

The voltage regulator error amplifier used in the 3v3 to 12v versions has a slew rate of 5,000 volts per microsecond, rise and fall time < 1 nanosecond, settling time of < 10 nanoseconds and a gain bandwidth product of 1 GHz. The voltage regulator error amplifier used above 12v to up to 24v versions has a slew rate of 2,000 volts per microsecond, rise and fall time of < 5 nanoseconds, settling time of 30 nanoseconds and a gain bandwidth product of 150 MHz. These high-speed regulators offer exceptional regulation at much higher frequencies than any three terminal regulated power supply and, as far as I am aware, any other audio grade regulated power supply currently used in audio. They are very quiet and have an exceptional supply line rejection over a very wide frequency range as the regulator section low noise voltage reference is derived from the regulated output voltage and the regulator error amplifier is also powered from the regulated output voltage.

Applications include DACs, digital interface products, USB cards like the SoTM, low power audio servers, Clocks like the Antelope Trinity and also the 10M atomic clock, Hard drives both SSD and standard drives etc.

They are also ideal for powering field coil loudspeaker drive units as they can absorb the large reverse current flow generated by the loudspeaker back EMF without losing regulation like a series regulator would.

Rainer Weber of Kaiser Acoustic, Germany used these power supplies to power his audio server SSD hard drive and SoTM USB digital interface card at the Munich High End show this year. See post 11 at :-

http://jplay.eu/forum/hydepark/munich-high-end-show-2012-and-jplay/

Rainer achieved a Best Sound award from High Fidelity High End 2012. It is a pleasure to be a small part of the total effort expended by Rainer to achieve this award this year. See post 9 at :-

http://jplay.eu/forum/hydepark/munich-high-end-show-2012-and-jplay/

See also post 4 where Roy Gregory was impressed with the Kaiser/Leading Edge collaboration at the Munich show. Incidentally the Vertex AQ Aletheia DAC used in the Kaiser room uses Hynes local shunt regulators with a Hynes series master regulator in the power supply.

Interesting that manufacturers using my regulators in their products are getting “best sound of show” awards regularly now. Obviously it is not just the regulators that are providing such exceptional performance, as there is a lot of design effort throughout these products, but the power supply is a very significant part of the sound quality that is achieved.

SR8 photo ;-

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww7/paulhynes/SR8ShuntRegulatedPSU.jpg

The SR8 power supplies cost £525 each and high performance OFC DC leads cost £35 for a 1 metre length and standard DC jack termination. Other connectors can be fitted and these will be quoted for at time of application discussion with customers.

Regards
Paul

serengetiplains

Interesting that manufacturers using my regulators in their products are getting “best sound of show” awards regularly now. Obviously it is not just the regulators that are providing such exceptional performance, as there is a lot of design effort throughout these products, but the power supply is a very significant part of the sound quality that is achieved.

I'm unsurprised by this, Paul, and congratulations for the growing recognition.  Your regulators---I've personally tried who knows how many different brands and types--are head and shoulders the best I've experienced.  Using them led me to a deeper appreciation of just how important power supply noise is.  For my part, I am grateful that we who desire better sound have access to products like these you design.  Thank you.   :thumb:

nacder

Hi Paul,

If I need multiple voltages (e.g. 3.3V, 5V, 12V) to build a power supply for low consumption PC, can all the modules be housed in a single enclosure?  How about the pricing for additional modules?

Paul Hynes

• Facilitator
Hi nacder,

It will depend on the overall power required but I can fit three modules in a 19” rack case. Let me know the power requirements of each supply rail and I can assess the viability for you.

Regards
Paul

Thanks Serengetiplains,

I will have some more modules for you shortly. I am just updating some of your order to the latest version of the modules.

Regards
Paul

dmgbat

Hi Paul,

Do you think this supply would be a good replacement for the empirical audio off ramp 5 wall wart? Thanks.

Danny

Paul Hynes

• Facilitator
Hi Danny,

Yes, it is a very nice upgrade over the wallwart supplied with my OffRamp 4. I see no reason why it should not do the same with the Off Ramp 5 even if Steve has fitted the regulator upgrades internally. It will provide another layer of wideband supply line rejection within the power feed and the highest speed version can be used to regulate 12 volts so there will be rapid control of load current changes from the Off Ramp.

Regards
Paul

jjh1585

Paul,

Can you advise which p/s is prefered with an Off Ramp 5? An SR8 or SR7SE. Also which for a hard drive.

andrewd01

Hi Paul, no idea what a shunt-regulated power supply is. Would this be a good choice for a Mac Mini? in other words better than your SR5?

What is the cost of the SR8?

Many thanks,
Andrew