Thorens TD 145 auto cue troubleshooting.

aceinc

Thorens TD 145 auto cue troubleshooting.
« on: 26 Nov 2022, 02:59 am »
I recently acquired a Thorens TD 145. It seems to work reasonably well, but it will not lift the needle off of the record when it reaches the end.

How do I start troubleshooting this issue?

My skill level is, I can turn screws and if needed can take measurements with a multi meter. And I generally unplug things before unscrewing stuff.

Also one potential oddity, when I flip the lever to 33 or 45, the turntable does not start spinning. I must push the switch a little past the stop point, the table will start spinning and the knob returns to the proper place. Is this a feature or a bug?

Rocket

Re: Thorens TD 145 auto cue troubleshooting.
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2022, 03:37 am »
Hi,

This might link might help you with the auto lift mechanism.

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=15365

Cheers Rod

Rocket

« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2022, 03:40 am »
Hi,

I was going to add that these vintage turntables need a service occasionally. You might want to consider taking it to someone who has good feedback and can service a turntable. Not just anyone. I'm lucky as I use Liquid Audio here in Perth, Western Australia. He just serviced a mid 1980s Aniston rd80 turntable with me and it sounds great.

Cheers Rod

aceinc

« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2022, 03:50 am »
Hi,

I was going to add that these vintage turntables need a service occasionally. You might want to consider taking it to someone who has good feedback and can service a turntable. Not just anyone. I'm lucky as I use Liquid Audio here in Perth, Western Australia. He just serviced a mid 1980s Aniston rd80 turntable with me and it sounds great.

Cheers Rod
A bit of a hike to Perth from Florida, USA. Shipping would be a bit pricey as well.

Finding someone you trust is the dicey part...

I will use the article you linked to as an initial guide.

borism

« Reply #4 on: 26 Nov 2022, 02:15 pm »
Dave form Vinyl Nirvana (vinylnirvana.com) restores and sells vintage Thorens turntables. He is, however, in New Hampshire and shipping would probably be involved. He may be able to give you some advice and he also has a number of youtube videos about repairs that you may want to check out.

Rocket

« Reply #5 on: 27 Nov 2022, 12:17 pm »
Hi,

I feel like I've learnt a lot from Mike of Liquid Audio about turntables. I had him service and setup an Ariston RD80 turntable for me and it sounds quite nice.
Setup is so important to get the best sound out of any turntable.

Best of luck.

Cheers Rod