Current/Recent Stax?

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Current/Recent Stax?
« on: 15 Mar 2022, 09:47 pm »
I've got some ancient Sigmas with a broken headband.
Does anyone here have any experience with the recent Stax offerings?
If I'm going to buy some decent headphones I'd prefer to get another set of Stax.

dB Cooper

Re: Current/Recent Stax?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2022, 10:03 pm »
Approximate budget?

Heard some SR-007 which are great or terrible depending on who you ask. I thought they were excellent.

If you are open to the concept of planar magnetics, there may be more options there (especially as far as electronics compatibility) and better value.

Next time there's a show or head-fi meet in your area, you might want to trudge across the tundra and listen to a few sets

Freo-1

« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2022, 10:38 pm »
I've got some ancient Sigmas with a broken headband.
Does anyone here have any experience with the recent Stax offerings?
If I'm going to buy some decent headphones I'd prefer to get another set of Stax.

I had a pair of SR-007 cans. They sounded great once I got a KGSSHV amp.  The standard Stax amps don't work as well.   Check out Birgir's website at Mjolnir-audio for amps and deals on used Stax phones.

Having said that, I find the Abyss 1266 phi cc to sound better overall.  Both options are pricey. 

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2022, 11:01 pm »
Thanks.
For that price I'd better but on the snowshoes and give a listen for myself.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2022, 12:06 am »
If you want a transparent and dynamic phone you could try the Hedd AMT driver, the faster driver there is, 87dB but dont require a specific amp as Electrostatic, made in Germany.
https://audio46.com/products/hedd-heddphone-amt-driver-headphones

https://www.hedd.audio/products/heddphone

Pez

« Reply #5 on: 16 Mar 2022, 06:00 am »
If you want the absolute best of what is currently available in head fi I suggest taking a look at Meze Elite. I own Meze Empyrean, Liric, and Elite and by far Elite is the most incredible transducer I have ever heard.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #6 on: 24 Mar 2022, 10:21 pm »
If you want a transparent and dynamic phone you could try the Hedd AMT driver, the faster driver there is, 87dB but dont require a specific amp as Electrostatic, made in Germany.
https://audio46.com/products/hedd-heddphone-amt-driver-headphones

https://www.hedd.audio/products/heddphone

I was personally not a fan of the HEDD. It does feel fast in it's own way, but not as fast as stax. Excellent bass extension, but sloppy impact. Similar-ish up top, all the pieces are there but it's lacking energy. Overall FR is quite smooth. There's something odd going in the midrange though that makes it feel a congested to me. Staging is wide, but no depth. It's also huge and heavy, which will be a turnoff for many.

Overall I was intrigued by it, but sonically it didn't do it for me, but I'll be very curious to hear any future iterations from HEDD.
it feels unpolished and there's some oddities
It's huge and heavy

padam19

« Reply #7 on: 2 Apr 2022, 10:01 pm »
I would say old Stax is not inferior to new Stax for the most part, just tuned differently, the technology was way ahead of its time and it really works well with a more capable modern DAC and amplifier.
There are some really nice deals on the used market, as long as it is a perfectly functioning copy, it will hold its value well for the foreseeable future.
Of course it all depends on the type of sound you would prefer, each of them are somewhat different, but here is a model that I prefer against its descendants:
https://tmraudio.com/personal-audio/headphones-over-ear/stax-sr-lambda-nova-electrostatic-headphones-signature-pro/

bigjako

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jun 2022, 04:54 am »
Your Sigma, while unique in its presentation, is a wonderful headphone that most Stax lovers would die for.  I have a “replica” Sigma from ES labs (using 404 drivers) and they sound great.  Definitely not all rounders but wonderful for jazz and acoustic rock. 

What bias are your Sigmas? Normal or Pro?

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 6 Jul 2022, 10:52 am »
Sorry, I just saw this.
I believe my Sigmas are the Pro, I bought them back in the 80s from a vendor in Japan out of the back pages in Stereo Review.
It came with the energizer box and I recall the price giving me pause way back when.