Our latest builds

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Our latest builds
« Reply #20 on: 10 Dec 2013, 04:57 pm »
Anyone in the NY area own a pair we could hear ???

charles
Sounds like you need a demo pair!!!!

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #21 on: 10 Dec 2013, 04:58 pm »
Very impressive line there Sir. My Buddy Pete from Triode Wire Labs had a lot of good things to say about your speakers. If Pete likes them I will like them. Anyone in the NY area own a pair we could hear ???

charles

No Nimbus in that area yet.  However, we do have a Cirrus owner who loves to have folks over for auditions.

We'd love to have a Nimbus owner in that region . . .  :wink:

Factorz

« Reply #22 on: 10 Dec 2013, 07:14 pm »
I recently was lucky enough to spend some time with the Nimbus and I must say it was very impressive. I’m very new to the sport, but for the first time I felt like I understood the expression of a speaker disappearing. Overall just a great speaker and only wish I had the space and budget to own a pair.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #23 on: 11 Dec 2013, 04:27 pm »
I recently was lucky enough to spend some time with the Nimbus and I must say it was very impressive. I’m very new to the sport, but for the first time I felt like I understood the expression of a speaker disappearing. Overall just a great speaker and only wish I had the space and budget to own a pair.

Well thanks for the kind words Factorz.  It's great to hear someone say that something as large and imposing as Nimbus is able to disappear sonically.  I'm sure EdRo will be puffing up with pride at hearing this (Ed's the craftsman who creates the Nimbus cabinet).

Our inspiration for Nimbus actually came from the Stiff Breeze.  So if you're looking for another disappearing act, consider the Stiff Breeze for more budget friendly and space conscious alternative.

Factorz

« Reply #24 on: 11 Dec 2013, 04:52 pm »
Pete,
Funny you mention the Stiff Breeze is on my very short list. I plan to make some kind of decision in the next few weeks. Thanks.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #25 on: 11 Dec 2013, 06:56 pm »
If I were looking to own a speaker based on looks alone, the Nimbus would do it for me. It's just downright sexy to my eye! Gotta hear it someday.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #26 on: 11 Dec 2013, 07:09 pm »
If I were looking to own a speaker based on looks alone, the Nimbus would do it for me. It's just downright sexy to my eye! Gotta hear it someday.
It's sexier in person. 

osd1

« Reply #27 on: 11 Dec 2013, 07:57 pm »
i was impressed till i saw the cnc machine...

if your paying more than $400 for labor (including finishing "hand rubbed finish") you're getting ripped right off...

WireNut

« Reply #28 on: 11 Dec 2013, 08:17 pm »

if your paying more than $400 for labor (including finishing "hand rubbed finish") you're getting ripped right off...

I think they have to use cnc equipment to do some of the contours. Imagine what it would be like to cut a wave guide in a baffle without cnc. With a ball endmill and a cnc machine it's easy if you know how to program it. Plus product turn around is a lot quicker and accuracy is held from one unit to the other. Also all this comes at a price for the manufacturer. The machines and software are very costly and the skills needed to program and operate the machines don't come cheap but they are necessary for loudspeakers such as Vapor Audio's IMO.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #29 on: 11 Dec 2013, 08:49 pm »

Seriously?  I personally think the ripoff line-in-the-sand is $375, but close enough.

Now to search for your other 3 posts since signing up here, I can only imagine they're just as insightful. 

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #30 on: 11 Dec 2013, 09:07 pm »

Snicker . . . wow, why open your mouth and remove all doubt that you haven't a clue.   :duh:

Those Nimbus cabinets are built without a CNC Sherlock.  The only thing cut by CNC are the driver openings in the baffle, and even the baffle is built by hand. 

And it's not like you simply stack up all those CNC cut slices and shoot some paint on it and call it done . . . well, maybe you would, but we don't.

Next time OSD1, just say you don't like them.  I can accept an opinion like that.  But try not to look so foolish tossing around such ill informed responses about what it takes to create a finished product.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #31 on: 11 Dec 2013, 09:20 pm »
Snicker . . . wow, why open your mouth and remove all doubt that you haven't a clue.   :duh:

Those Nimbus cabinets are built without a CNC Sherlock.  The only thing cut by CNC are the driver openings in the baffle, and even the baffle is built by hand. 

And it's not like you simply stack up all those CNC cut slices and shoot some paint on it and call it done . . . well, maybe you would, but we don't.

Next time OSD1, just say you don't like them.  I can accept an opinion like that.  But try not to look so foolish tossing around such ill informed responses about what it takes to create a finished product.

Now Pete, you're getting all wound up ... remember your heart

roscoeiii

« Reply #32 on: 11 Dec 2013, 10:05 pm »
C'mon guys. Clearly anyone with a hammer, some nails, spray paint and a glue gun can reproduce your cabinets.

Don't know what all this CNC fuss is about...

roscoeiii

« Reply #33 on: 11 Dec 2013, 10:06 pm »
As for crossovers, I'm sure any random combination of resistors and capacitors will do.

Driver choice? Eeeny, meany, minnie, moe...

verdun47

« Reply #34 on: 12 Dec 2013, 04:39 am »
C'mon guys. Clearly anyone with a hammer, some nails, spray paint and a glue gun can reproduce your cabinets.

Don't know what all this CNC fuss is about...

Good on YA - you'll have a set knocked out ready to go in a couple of days then. What? Ya reckon you'll have them out in a day. We can look forward to that: post a pic when completed. Thanks.

roscoeiii

« Reply #35 on: 12 Dec 2013, 04:52 am »
Good on YA - you'll have a set knocked out ready to go in a couple of days then. What? Ya reckon you'll have them out in a day. We can look forward to that: post a pic when completed. Thanks.

LOL

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #36 on: 12 Dec 2013, 05:30 am »
Now Pete, you're getting all wound up ... remember your heart

Hi Vapor

I was talking to Pete on what was the best way to reduce amp distortion

guess what he told me,match the differencial amp transistors beta

man Pete is a genius...

EdRo

« Reply #37 on: 12 Dec 2013, 09:36 am »
Hey OSD1, swing by Detroit and I'll show you how to build a Nimbus...I don't think you'd leave with the same opinion!  :slap:

EdRo

« Reply #38 on: 12 Dec 2013, 10:01 am »
What kind of veneer is on the tops of the black Nimbus, Ryan?

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #39 on: 14 Dec 2013, 10:19 pm »
What kind of veneer is on the tops of the black Nimbus, Ryan?

None Ed.  It's a painted finish all around.  The only Nimbus that had a veneer insert was the pair we took to Newport Beach.