HT2-TL grill question

Saturn94

HT2-TL grill question
« on: 4 Dec 2010, 05:00 pm »
My appologies if it is inappropriate to start a new thread for this question, but I wasn't sure in what thread to ask.

I'm not a big fan of visible drivers, so I was wondering with the grill on the HT2-TL are the light colored drivers still visible through the grill?

Thanks.

floresjc

Re: HT2-TL grill question
« Reply #1 on: 4 Dec 2010, 05:19 pm »
My answer would be "just faintly".

Most of the issue is that light coming in through the grill reflects off the copper colored cone. I even get this effect on my SongTowers, because the black material is smooth, shiny and clean, so I get little reflection spots. I always think my grill has dust on it, but its just that reflection.

You can faintly see the white of the rest of the driver.

My wife doesn't like the "open driver" look but with grilles on she likes the look of the speakers. I label it a non issue myself.

Saturn94

« Reply #2 on: 4 Dec 2010, 05:24 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. :)

TJHUB

« Reply #3 on: 4 Dec 2010, 05:34 pm »
In a well lit room, the light gray drivers are just barely visible with a slight reflection of the copper bullets visible.  There is nothing unattractive about the look. 

Here is a shot of mine with a flash that makes the drivers about as visible as they could ever be:

srb

« Reply #4 on: 4 Dec 2010, 05:40 pm »
Back in my early 70s rock and roll band days, guitar, keyboard and PA speakers often had drivers with large shiny chrome dustcaps that were plainly visible through the grill cloth.  And we liked 'em that way!

Steve

Saturn94

« Reply #5 on: 4 Dec 2010, 05:43 pm »
Thanks for the pics. :thumb:

I take it most of the time the drivers are actually less visible than they appear in the photos?  Am I correct that the flash exaggerates the visibility of the drivers?

srb

« Reply #6 on: 4 Dec 2010, 05:51 pm »
Am I correct that the flash exaggerates the visibility of the drivers?

Yes, and the flash often exposes grill cloth frames.  I have seen many flash pictures of speakers that have molded plastic grill frames showing patterns, braces and cross members that were invisible to the naked eye under normal room lighting.

Steve

coke

« Reply #7 on: 4 Dec 2010, 06:32 pm »
I prefer the look of my speakers with the grill on. It gives them a much more finished and refined look.

floresjc

« Reply #8 on: 4 Dec 2010, 06:46 pm »
Without the flash, they would be much more faint than that. My grey/white drivers are just barely discernible and the copper cone has a little reflection in normal lighting. You'd never notice it just sitting around in the room, you'd have to focus on the grilles. They do look great and refined.

Saturn94

« Reply #9 on: 4 Dec 2010, 07:25 pm »
I prefer the look of my speakers with the grill on. It gives them a much more finished and refined look.

+1

Also for me, seeing the drivers is distracting when listening to music and makes it harder to get "lost" in the music.  With the grills on, the speakers become just another piece of furniture in the room and not the obvious source of the music (at least with high quality speakers).  Again, just my personal opinion. :wink:

TJHUB

« Reply #10 on: 4 Dec 2010, 08:35 pm »
Thanks for the pics. :thumb:

I take it most of the time the drivers are actually less visible than they appear in the photos?  Am I correct that the flash exaggerates the visibility of the drivers?

You are welcome.  As others have already stated, yes, the drivers are a LOT less visible without the flash.  I was trying to show you that even with the exposure of a flash, the drivers aren't all that visible.  I have never been able to make out the frame of the grill like you can see in the pictures without direct sunlight on the grills.

revrob

« Reply #11 on: 4 Dec 2010, 09:01 pm »
I have the HT3 and always leave the grills off for listening to music. The only time the grills are on is when we have company and my wife makes me put them on. (smile) I leave the grills off because it give me the last bit of details in the music.

mark funk

« Reply #12 on: 4 Dec 2010, 10:13 pm »
I put one of the grills on just one time just to try the magnets that hold them on. That is a cool way to hold the grills on. I have not had a grill on a speaker for over 25 years. I was thinking about sending my grills back to Jim, let some one that well use them have them. I think the four W18s and the two RAALs look pretty cool. Oh ya, they sound pretty good too.

:smoke:

srb

« Reply #13 on: 4 Dec 2010, 10:36 pm »
If I get the opportunity to have Jim build me a pair of floorstanding speakers, I will ask that he put a set of magnets on the rear to store the grill.

Steve

ctouhey

« Reply #14 on: 6 Dec 2010, 06:56 pm »
I have the HT3s and felt my wife would not tolerate exposed drivers, so I discussed it with Jim.  He had some acoustically transparent fabric remaining from a previous project (around $100/yard), and used that for the grilles.  They looked great and I believe did not color the sound.  Funny thing is, my wife prefers the look without the grilles...

Chris

mchuckp

« Reply #15 on: 6 Dec 2010, 08:45 pm »
I LOVE looking at the drivers.  They are just so darn sexy.   :notworthy:  I only leave my covers on when not in use or casual listening.